Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Mahigeer

An Email from NOAA Recreational Fisheries Coordinator

I just got this Email and thought to share it.
April 21, 2015

Good evening,

Based on a recommendation of the Pacific Fishery Management Council, the National Marine Fisheries Service is proposing to modify the existing Pacific bluefin tuna (PBF) recreational daily bag limit in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) off California, and to establish filleting-at-sea requirements for any tuna species in the U.S. EEZ south of Point Conception, Santa Barbara County.

The proposed regulations would reduce the existing bag limit of 10 PBF per day to 2 PBF per day and the maximum multiday possession limit (i.e., for trips of 3 days or more) from 30 PBF to 6 PBF.

In addition, the proposed regulations would establish requirements for filleting tuna at-sea (e.g., each fish must be cut into six pieces placed in an individual bag so that certain diagnostic characteristics are left intact), which will assist law enforcement personnel in accurately identifying different tuna species. These requirements would apply to any tuna species caught south of Santa Barbara (i.e., south of a line running west true from Point Conception, Santa Barbara County).

To view the proposed regulations and to submit comments, please visit: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2015-0029-0001

Comments are due by May 6 2015, at 11:59 PM ET.
Regards,
Craig Heberer
Recreational Fisheries Coordinator
NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region
WCR Recreational Fisheries Homepage West Coast Region, NMFS, NOAA | westcoast.recfish@noaa.gov | http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/
7600 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle, WA 98115
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Lipripper92592

Freaking jerks...regulate, regulate, regulate! I love the "sound" science behind this one. Comment submitted to NOAA, but I can assure you my comments will fall on deaf ears.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
taggermike

First the inshore, now the off shore.
And what the hells up with filleting tuna
In to 6 piece and all meat from one fish
has to go in to one bag? Thats worse than the
Reg on filleting hslibut at sea. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
driftwood

And Mexico says the bag limit is ZERO unit further notice.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Here is the major problem I see with this entire scenario, BFT are highly migratory, and they move across international borders without impediment. The VAST majority of these fish are picked off by international fishing vessels, that scoop up the BFT and countless other species of "bycatch" . Until something is done to prevent the over harvesting of BFT by these entities we must bear the brunt of the regulations. Is it fair, no, is it something...yes. It is like carbon emissions, we here in California are driving more and more energy efficient vehicles, and reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, but developing countries continue to burn coal and oil at an alarming rate. We cannot control them and we will have to do our part to help regardless of how much it sucks. We have an obligation to the natural world to help if we can, decades of unchecked fishing across the globe have decimated BFT and if we impose lower catch limits we at least will be doing something to stem the tide of collapse of this fishery. By some estimates over 90% of the fish being caught are too young to have even spawned one time, that is just ridiculous. I for one love tuna, and I love sport fishing, I am willing to reduce my daily catch from 10 to 2 for the hope that maybe, just maybe my kids will have the some opportunity that I have been afforded, to catch a BFT. Join the CCA and let your voice be heard, contact your congressman and tell him to have the USA put sanctions on countires who overfish BFT and the like. We only have one ocean, and we are doing a really good job at decimating the fish stocks, once they are gone, we as humans are going to be witness to a ecosystem collapse on par with the ice-age extinctions, and our health and livelyhood depend on the health of the oceans, if the oceans die...we die...Simple as that.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

I'm all for it. Close down mex, and regulate that shit in the US. Believe it or not, the folks over at NOAA Southwest Fisheries actually know a thing or two about our marine ecosystem. Try asking Dos Ballenas about the YT fishery. Ever stop to think, "wow the YT and WSB fishing has been really good the last few years" Hmm, i'm sure that has nothing to do with MLPAs...

Let's be honest... when's that last time any of you caught more than 2 BFT on a trip in US waters? Very few of us have, and even then probably only last year or in '98. If you think sport fishermen don't have an impact on the local fish populations, you've probably never seen a cattle boat on a good tuna bite. Those captains will rape the ocean in a heartbeat to get their counts up.

If the regs work as they are intended, you should only need to catch ONE bluefin each... like this 60 pound beast we caught THIS MONTH!!!

Saddle up boys! These monsters are in kayak range!

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
yemff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I'm all for it. Close down mex, and regulate that shit in the US. Believe it or not, the folks over at NOAA Southwest Fisheries actually know a thing or two about our marine ecosystem. Try asking Dos Ballenas about the YT fishery. Ever stop to think, "wow the YT and WSB fishing has been really good the last few years" Hmm, i'm sure that has nothing to do with MLPAs...

Let's be honest... when's that last time any of you caught more than 2 BFT on a trip in US waters? Very few of us have, and even then probably only last year or in '98. If you think sport fishermen don't have an impact on the local fish populations, you've probably never seen a cattle boat on a good tuna bite. Those captains will rape the ocean in a heartbeat to get their counts up.

If the regs work as they are intended, you should only need to catch ONE bluefin each... like this 60 pound beast we caught THIS MONTH!!!

Saddle up boys! These monsters are in kayak range!
yeah im sure it has nothing to do with the warm water...
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

The fish have to actually make it to socal waters for you to catch one...
Old 04-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
monstahfish

I for one am glad they are regulating the fishery. We used to have an epic schoolie bluefin fishery in new england and it's all but gone. Most of this is related to foreign fisheries the rest is the lack of inshore forage due to midwater trawlers and factory fishing vessels and guys going out and taking every fish they could.

The attitude that you can't overfish with a recreational fishery is bunk as well. Striped bass on the east coast went from epic to mediocre at best within 10 years after they lowered the minimum size and raised the bag to 2 fish. Spawning has been a major issue but I think this is mostly related to pollution and the allowance of taking barely spawning size fish. Most of these fish are taken by six pack charters keeping full limits every trip. Say each boat goes out 100 times a year with six guys that was 1,200 fish a year which is on the low side cause a lot of boats did 2 trips a day and fish more than 100 days. Now add that up with at least 1,000 six packs and cattle boats up and down the striper coast and you're talking some serious decimation. The ocean is not a never ending supply of food and we have to be responsible for how much and what we take from it.

I often wonder what the yellowtail fishery would look like after a few years of a one or two fish limit. My guess would be epic. You won't see it happen with the current attitudes and if it does decline, like what happened with stripers, you'll see people block any action until it's too late.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #10
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
First the inshore, now the off shore.
And what the hells up with filleting tuna
In to 6 piece and all meat from one fish
has to go in to one bag? Thats worse than the
Reg on filleting hslibut at sea. Mike
The filleting regs are so that people don't cut up their BFT and try to say that it's YFT. All the pieces go into seperate bags, one piece per bag. But if you're catching bluefin, please don't commit the sin of filleting on the water. Gut and gill them, take them home whole and brine them for at least 12 hours prior to filleting.

I had to fillet that big one OTW in the sun... at the request of the crew. A damn shame.

Last edited by chris138; 04-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
bubblehide

Statistically speaking, the recreational fishing take is not significant. What needs to be regulated is the commercial take. What really needs to happen is that Our fishery need to be managed with recreational fishermen being a priority, rather than the commercial industry like as it is now.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
momo fish

Good point and One can only hope... The biggest issue seems to be the non oversight on international take by commercial.. Don't see that ever happening in my lifetime but who knows..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Statistically speaking, the recreational fishing take is not significant. What needs to be regulated is the commercial take. What really needs to happen is that Our fishery need to be managed with recreational fishermen being a priority, rather than the commercial industry like as it is now.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Good point and One can only hope... The biggest issue seems to be the non oversight on international take by commercial.. Don't see that ever happening in my lifetime but who knows..
Yep, my whole gripe here is that our fish are a state public resource that is being totally abused by the vast majority being shipped out of the country. Our political system bears the responsibility for this clear mismanagement. Yet we recreational anglers are bearing the brunt; and when the fishery id depleted, we will continue to bear the brunt of this mismanagement. Obviously this issue, as I see it, is not limited to BFT. As you, I don't see this being fixed in my lifetime, unfortunately.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #14
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Yep, my whole gripe here is that our fish are a state public resource that is being totally abused by the vast majority being shipped out of the country. Our political system bears the responsibility for this clear mismanagement. Yet we recreational anglers are bearing the brunt; and when the fishery id depleted, we will continue to bear the brunt of this mismanagement. Obviously this issue, as I see it, is not limited to BFT. As you, I don't see this being fixed in my lifetime, unfortunately.
I'd say most people share your feeling of hopelessness.

Politically speaking... Recreational fisherman have no money and therefore no lobbying power in congress. The only chance WE have is to align ourselves with the scientific and conservationist movement, and promote our sport as responsible and sustainable. If it doesn't happen in your lifetime, it will never happen as the resource will be gone forever.

I don't see us gaining any traction in the scientific community as long as you have anglers griping and complaining about every regulation and marine reserve. Not to mention the cruelty to the sealions. All you sea lion haters need to shut up and quit giving us a bad name.

You take 20 minutes to reel in a 15 lb yellowtail, then complain about how a sea lion "stole" it from you?! Ha... That sea lion is just smarter than you! At least you can now claim that it was a 40lber lol
Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Quote:

Politically speaking... Recreational fisherman have no money and therefore no lobbying power in congress. The only chance WE have is to align ourselves with the scientific and conservationist movement, and promote our sport as responsible and sustainable. If it doesn't happen in your lifetime, it will never happen as the resource will be gone forever.

Coastal Conservation Association!!! This organization gives a voice to the average recreational fisherman. It is by no means the "end-all-be-all" but it is a great organization that can give us average joes a voice in regulations that affect us. Contact your congressional representative, they can be extremely helpful and responsive! Best advice is to get involved, dont sit back and complain, get out and do something, if we all do a littleour voices can turn from a whisper into a giant megaphone!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #16
StinkyMatt

Quote:

I don't see us gaining any traction in the scientific community as long as you have anglers griping and complaining about every regulation and marine reserve. Not to mention the cruelty to the sealions. All you sea lion haters need to shut up and quit giving us a bad name.

You take 20 minutes to reel in a 15 lb yellowtail, then complain about how a sea lion "stole" it from you?! Ha... That sea lion is just smarter than you! At least you can now claim that it was a 40lber lol

You couldn't say it any better Chris!

Your two posts in this thread are right on the money.

The attitude of:
Yeah I need to keep my 10 fish limit, it's my right, it's in the constitution! I won't do anything to conserve until the commercial guys do.......

Just because someone else (the tuna pros) do bad things does not make it ok for you to do it.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Lipripper92592

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that most people that are "for" this type of new legislation live on or near the coast. Please keep in mind, that some people do not live on the coast and get to fish in with any regularity. Therefore the once a year angler gets "screwed" and the folks with free time and boats.....well they have it a different way. I have a proposal that should "level" the playing field for all involved, this being the sport boats and commercials as well as the private anglers.
IF we truly believe that reducing the catch will ensure that the overall stocks go up, then why not have a tag system for keeping BFT. Price per fish, min and max size limits. YOU pay to play.
Please I hope that NOAA has "earned" your trust. They sure haven't earned mine. Our Deputy Directory in the Northwest has no Environmental Experience or training/education....she is a trained politician....PHd in political science.
The Director of the Southwest.....25 + years in academics......no real world experience, university funded studies. There is some old saying around that goes something like this..." those that don't know much......teach". And nothing against teachers, in my experience, they tend to be the ones who couldn't hang in the business/private sector world.
NOAA has been playing a Climate Change game manipulating past temperature datasets to make the present climate seem more warm that past temperatures.
There is well documented evidence of this, cached NOAA pages have shown this as well as the raw datasets.
Why would I be inclined to believe their stock assessments. Unless they can convince the public they are solving "problems" they will loose funding. I'm not saying the stocks have not dropped. Please consider the "rights" you are willing to sacrifice for yourself, and force on others all in the name of environmentalism. Unfortunately most good environmental groups have been high jacked for political purposes, thus it's very hard to find good studies on the subject. Just check the background of the sitting board members......should give you lots' of confidence in the studies they produce.

Last edited by Lipripper92592; 04-24-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: din do muffin
Old 04-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
There is some old saying around that goes something like this..." those that don't know much......teach". And nothing against teachers, in my experience, they tend to be the ones who couldn't hang in the business/private sector world.

Hmmm....you might have a point...
Who's a teacher round' here...?

1. Matt (Stinkymatt) Teacher
2. Roby (Roby) Teacher
3. Chuck (ChuckD) Teacher
4. Josh (Darkhorse) Teacher
5. Jim (Deamon) Teacher
6. Yani (Kayakfisherman) Teacher

Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #19
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Hmmm....you might have a point...
Who's a teacher round' here...?

1. Matt (Stinkymatt) Teacher
2. Roby (Roby) Teacher
3. Chuck (ChuckD) Teacher
4. Josh (Darkhorse) Teacher
5. Jim (Deamon) Teacher
6. Yani (Kayakfisherman) Teacher

Too funny.....BS in Environmental Resource Management with a concentration in Geo-Spatial modeling......I'll take the science based approach, including uncertainties, and statistical/spatial modeling over "feelings" any day. But feelings are holding up in court much more than they used to.....so there's something to be said there.
Mom was a teacher for 30+ years. There are lot's of good ones out there. I just believe my mom would be horrible in proposing/setting environmental policy and all of her coworkers as well.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #20
StinkyMatt

Your Mom was a teacher and you are saying teachers could not hang in the real world?

Show your post to your Mom, see if you get invited to Thanksgiving this year?

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote