Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
fishaholic

10' Calstar 540 jig stick / Newell 338 combo

Sale pending!

I have a factory calstar 540 jig stick rated 20-50 in very good condition matched with a newell s338-5 in like new condition.

Both for $240

Thanks,
John 760-672-7080

Last edited by fishaholic; 06-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

John, How different is the Calstar 540 from the Sabre 540?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
fishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
The Calstar has slightly thicker walls. It pulls a little harder than I would with the Sabre. It is a true #40 jig stick. It does have a very similar action to the Sabre. It will chuck an iron a mile.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
blazian

Color combo? or pic?
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
fishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
Color combo? or pic?
The rod is a factory wrapped Calstar west coast. It is a tan blank with teal and black wraps. (like in the sample picture below). The reel is black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg westcoast.jpg (16.4 KB, 233 views)
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Just thought I'd throw out a little FYI:
The chief rod designer and founder of Sabre Rods was Leon Todd (he designed all the mandrels the rods are based on). He sold the Company back in the early '80's/or late 70's (sometime around then). He stayed on for awhile but was disturbed by the cost cutting measures the new company was doing (thinner blanks, cheaper components, spacing the guides farther so not as many on a rod, etc.)
After some proding from of his loyal long range anglers and many tackle shop owners he started Calstar (ie. Tackle Specialties) where he began producing rods based on the same proven mandrel designs that made the old Sabre "Strokers" famous among long range fisherman. At first he just made blanks since he had no ability to ramp up production from the start. These blanks he sold to tackle shops so they could custom wrap "shop rods" and special orders. After just a couple of years he was producing in a quantity that could support a "Full run product line".
I got to know him personally when I worked for Art's Tackle in Gardena (He built the Hypolon handle/reel seat sections of all my Long Range Rods).
He was always willing to answer any a question about his rods/production and compare to the others on the market (I learned alot from him and Yo Yoshida [R.I.P.]). Alot of what I know about rods came from these two generous gentlemen.
I believe (just my personal opinion) Calstar makes the best rod out there. About 80% of all my Saltwater gear is Calstar along with a few Trulines and 1 Seeker (SJ 85).
Don't misunderstand there are a few other good rods out there such as Seeker (probably a close second to Calstar in quality and variety). But "my" preference are for the Calstars.
Just my two cents.
Thanks for tolerating,
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic View Post
I have a factory calstar 540 jig stick rated 20-50 in very good condition matched with a newell s338-5 in like new condition.

Both for $240

Thanks,
John 760-672-7080
WOW!!!
Someone buy this before I start hocking some of my other fishing gear or selling some organs/blood.
This is a great set-up and better PRICE!!!
FFY
Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
T Bone

Leon Todd was involved with Roddy too from what I understand.I didnt know that he owned Sabre,but I do know that because he developed all these rods thats why Sabre-Calstar-Seeker have many of the same numbers for there rods.

Examples would be

90j
690j

etc...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
FlyFishinYakr

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Leon Todd was involved with Roddy too from what I understand.I didnt know that he owned Sabre,but I do know that because he developed all these rods thats why Sabre-Calstar-Seeker have many of the same numbers for there rods.

Examples would be

90j
690j

etc...
Sorry about the omission, I almost forgot about that. That is correct though, he "cut his teeth" in the industry w/Roddy rods (wow...it's been a long time since I've seen or heard of that rod company. One of my first trout rods and fav when I was just a lad).
Thanks for posting it and bringing it to my attention.
Greatly appreciated,
FFY
Old 06-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
fishaholic

The Calstar 540 is back up for grabs... $125 for the rod by itself.

Thanks,
John 760-672-7080
Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
fishaholic

The Calstar is now pending sale again...THANKS!!!