Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
Sdspeed

Question Opinion or thoughts on the Santa Cruz Raptor

This looks like nice stable fishing platform. The reviews I've found seem pretty positive. Anybody here have any time with one of these?
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Welcome to BWE, It was discussed a while back. Havent seen anyone on one, ever in person.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ptor%26quot%3B

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ta+Cruz+Raptor

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Thanks for the link, I was really interested in their new SOT model but it appears they haven't established much of a dealer network yet. May have to take a roadtrip to go check them out and bring back a hands on report.
Attached Images
File Type: png sot_frontpage.png (98.6 KB, 500 views)
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Thanks for the link, I was really interested in their new SOT model but it appears they haven't established much of a dealer network yet. May have to take a roadtrip to go check them out and bring back a hands on report.
I didn't see that there is a SOT thanks for the pic, now I wonder how well the overflow from the bait tank drains with the pump in the only scupper hole?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I didn't see that there is a SOT thanks for the pic, now I wonder how well the overflow from the bait tank drains with the pump in the only scupper hole?

That's a good question, here is the site with a intro video and the specs.
I'm new to this so I'm trying to keep an open mind and look at as many options as possible. it would really be nice to speak to an owner vs. a company rep that's why I reached out to everyone here.

http://www.santacruzkayaks.com

Last edited by Sdspeed; 09-06-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Baitman
Junior

Hey guys, This popped up on the radar, so I'd like to toss in my input and answer any questions. I'm the company rep. Well actually I'm the designer, assembler, and general all around shop boy too.
The SOT has been in production only a couple months now. I just delivered one to a guy in San Diego area a few weeks ago. I can check to see if he's on this forum and ask for his input. A few others recently sold up along the central coast... but no dealer network down there, yet.
The bait tank overflow is directed outside the storage well. There is still room around the pump for water to drain, it's not sealed, just fitted in loosely.
I've only used it for live bait once, Anchovies stayed lively all day. I mounted the switch inside the center console. Ideally it should be on a timer, as I kept forgetting to turn it on. What I like about it most is it makes a great storage locker for , lunch, bait, tackle,,, etc. keeping things dry inside. The four rod holders are nice too.
We just put the new website online last Friday night. There's some links that will direct you to others reviews. I can't agree with all of them, but ,,, that's the way it is.
We're also on Facebook now, so if you check that out,,, " Like " us.
Thanks, Jim
Baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post

Where do the pedals go?
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
tacmik

Think I saw Luke Skywalker in it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
PE.rider

Talking

Looks like a Tholian space craft from Star Trek...

http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...webslinger.jpg
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
Baitman
Junior

Beam me up Mr Spock,,, there's no intelligent life here.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Baitman
Junior

Even the Navy used my design... LOL.

http://youtu.be/nBSuolm6LcU Raptor Speed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navy4.jpg (43.0 KB, 374 views)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
PE.rider

actually, how deep is that section of the stern backside? Is it deep enough to place an electric trolling motor?

Specs please...
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
StinkyMatt

That actually looks pretty interesting.

Would love to have an opportunity to try one of these on a demo day ???

Innovation gets ridiculed sometimes.........who would ever own a "horse less wagon"?

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

Innovation gets ridiculed sometimes.........who would ever own a "horse less wagon"?

or a kayak you pedal!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Welcome to BWE, It was discussed a while back. Havent seen anyone on one, ever in person.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ptor%26quot%3B

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ta+Cruz+Raptor
I also saw the post and was thinking about it. I also remember wondering since wider Yaks are harder to paddle due to extra drag, I wonder if it wouldn't be equivalent to paddling a Cobra F'nD' or other wide body kayak.
Just my .02,
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I also saw the post and was thinking about it. I also remember wondering since wider Yaks are harder to paddle due to extra drag, I wonder if it wouldn't be equivalent to paddling a Cobra F'nD' or other wide body kayak.
Just my .02,
FFY
I'm new to this community and haven't decided on a kayak yet so that's what peeked my interest in this new deign and why I brought it up again. I wasn't aware it had been discussed yet. Not really that much wider if at all than other kayaks being used for fishing. Being a newbie I worry about stability. anyway these are the spec's from their website, It'd be nice to get a demo but I'm not going north in the near future.
Features:

• Optional Live Bait Tank with scupper recess to fit the Attwood live bait pump.
  • Patented Design : wave piercing bow with a wide stern for enhanced stability.
  • On-Board Storage: gasketed center hatch, bow storage for over sized gear
  • Optional Storage: dual access hatches at pontoons
  • Self Bailing Scupper Holes
  • Adjustable Foot braces
  • On deck recess to hold fishing poles/spearguns and paddles

Specs:

• LENGTH: 13' | 3.35 m
  • WIDTH: 34" | 77.5 cm
  • WEIGHT: 60 lbs | 24.5 kg
  • WEIGHT CAPACITY: 360 lbs | 163 kg

SUGGESTED RETAIL: $950.00 USD

Available Colors: Mango, Yellow, Sand, Stealth Gray, Camo, and various mixes

Last edited by Sdspeed; 09-11-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #17
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

Quote:
or a kayak you pedal!
Or a kayak with a motor on it

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
Baitman
Junior

This yak begs for a trolling motor. I've installed both the Bassyaks, and Torqeedo motors using foot controls. If you didn't notice that link above, it shows it in action with the Torqeedo.
A sail is nice too ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHucL...ature=youtu.be

Yes the back end is widest ( 34" ), but at the middle ( seat area ) it's much narrower. The hull is more like a flat planning hull you'd see on a SUP. If fact I somewhat copied a Tiva sailboard I used to own that had a concave hull. Then I added the pontoons to mimic the stability of an inflatable Zodiac. The deeper keels of the pontoons are like skegs, giving this great tracking. Even in a strong 15 knot crosswind it doesn't need a rudder.
The distance from keel to keel ( Chine ) is only 25" wide. I'm not a strong paddler, but can avg 3.8 mph cruising speed heading to the Mile bouy. Top end speed for me was 4.5 mph. It's not the fastest out there, but for a fishing kayak with this level of stability it's the fastest. You would have to make a deliberate attempt at flipping this over.
Another Plus,,, You won't throw your back out loading it, at only 61.5 lbs. Even fully rigged with gear; Seat, Bait tank, 12v battery, FF. Gaff etc... I can still pick this up and load it into the back of my truck.

I'm headed to the Central Coast Kayak Fishing( CCKF ) annual tournament on the 22nd. It's near Cambria, a good opportunity to earn WAF points . Cambria is a great little coastal tourist vacation town. If anyone has the time, please come up and say hello. It's about 3 hrs from San Diego. I'd be happy to offer a demo, or even loan you a yak for the event if you want to fish with us.
Another option is the shop in Pismo Beach, Central Coast Kayaks, they have a demo model there and a great location for fishing too.
If time permits,,, I'd recommend stopping at Goleta along the way for an attempt at WSB.

Last edited by Baitman; 09-12-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitman View Post
This yak begs for a trolling motor. I've installed both the Bassyaks, and Torqeedo motors using foot controls. If you didn't notice that link above, it shows it in action with the Torqeedo.
A sail is nice too ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHucL...ature=youtu.be

Yes the back end is widest ( 34" ), but at the middle ( seat area ) it's much narrower. The hull is more like a flat planning hull you'd see on a SUP. If fact I somewhat copied a Tiva sailboard I used to own that had a concave hull. Then I added the pontoons to mimic the stability of an inflatable Zodiac. The deeper keels of the pontoons are like skegs, giving this great tracking. Even in a strong 15 knot crosswind it doesn't need a rudder.
The distance from keel to keel ( Chine ) is only 25" wide. I'm not a strong paddler, but can avg 3.8 mph cruising speed heading to the Mile bouy. Top end speed for me was 4.5 mph. It's not the fastest out there, but for a fishing kayak with this level of stability it's the fastest. You would have to make a deliberate attempt at flipping this over.
Another Plus,,, You won't throw your back out loading it, at only 61.5 lbs. Even fully rigged with gear; Seat, Bait tank, 12v battery, FF. Gaff etc... I can still pick this up and load it into the back of my truck.

I'm headed to the Central Coast Kayak Fishing( CCKF ) annual tournament on the 22nd. It's near Cambria, a good opportunity to earn WAF points . Cambria is a great little coastal tourist vacation town. If anyone has the time, please come up and say hello. It's about 3 hrs from San Diego. I'd be happy to offer a demo, or even loan you a yak for the event if you want to fish with us.
Another option is the shop in Pismo Beach, Central Coast Kayaks, they have a demo model there and a great location for fishing too.
If time permits,,, I'd recommend stopping at Goleta along the way for an attempt at WSB.
Baitman, I've liked this design since I spotted one of your ads. That's why I posted the inquiry here to get some input. I'm new to this and don't own a kayak right now and wish I was in the position to take you up on your offer. I'll contact as soon as I can afford to buy my new kayak.
I really thing the overall design and the hull design lend itself very well to comfort and safety for a fishing platform. I'm to old to be in a hurry, If I was I'd buy a power boat.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
maui jim

Cambria is a litle farther and longer than 3 hours from San Diego...lol.... Unless that bullet train is a running

I go to Paso Robles alot (258 miles to be exact).....and thats about 4 hours from Orange County and a traffic free day.
My best time is 3 hrs 45 minutes.... We bet on the travel time... watch out for those CHP's they are on their radar game lately.. counted 9 CHP Radar spots two weeks ago....

Goleta is an awsome place to fish (except for the brutal evening winds), along with Refugio...

Last edited by maui jim; 09-12-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added
maui jim is offline   Reply With Quote