Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

Oside report for Sunday March 9th

Launched around 7 am with CDfisher. Conditions were a little rough heading out with those winds picking up pretty good out of the east. Made it out to the artificial reefs and had some nice action on the calicos and sandies. Just about every anchovie we dropped got bit. Conditions improved for about an hour or so then got really bad. Forced to come in around 11am .

But not before catching the main ingredient to some awesome fish tacos.
Attached Images

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Grunt31

Nice catch. Headed out that way yesterday for a bit. Pulled in a a small Hali. 20" plus WSB and a little bass. All on flukes.
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
buddha

Is that a calico or a sand bass?

To me sand bass don't make very good fish tacos. They work better with a different recipe.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Is that a calico or a sand bass?

To me sand bass don't make very good fish tacos. They work better with a different recipe.
It's a sand bass, the filter I put on the picture made it look like a calico. What do you usually do with the sand bass?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
buddha

With a sand bass I usually make a sauce with them and serve it with rice or pasta.

All kinds of ways you can go.

garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, anchovies- make like a pasta sauce first then gently put the sand bass in the last minute until barely cooked through. Add some pasta to it.

Or just a basic linguine with white clam sauce but use the sand bass instead.

Asian: sichuan boiled fish- doubian jiang, black bean, chile sauce, chicken or fish broth, sichuan peppercorns, garlic, ginger make the sauce first add the fish but dusted them lightly with flour first and put in the boiling sauce a piece at a time. turn off the heat until the fish is done. Serve with rice.

Garlic, ginger, olive oil, wine, minced anchovies, diced red peppers, diced tomatoes, diced olives, salt pepper put the fish whole in aluminum foil and then bake in an oven for 30-35 minutes. Serve with rice or pasta.

Sand Bass is kind of a dry and flat texture so I like to give it more flavor and moisture so that is why using a sauce helps it.

Mexican- dried chiles de arbol and guajillo: toast them first in a pan but dont burn then boil them until soft. Put in a bender with fresh water and add vinegar, salt and sugar adding a little until you get the right proportions and taste. Let is sit for awhile it gets better.

After you made the sauce, then gently saute some diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapenos until softed. Lightly saute the fish after it has been dusted with flour gently add the vegetables and then the sauce.

Serve with rice.

These should get you started.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

The one with the jalapeños sounds pretty good. Thanks for typing that up for me bro. I guess I have to start catching more sand bass..
Old 03-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
The one with the jalapeños sounds pretty good. Thanks for typing that up for me bro. I guess I have to start catching more sand bass..
Sand bass are not my favorite fish, I prefer calico much more or rockfish, lingcod, or sculpin.

But if all you get is sand bass that day then that is what you do.

Spotfin croaker are a very similar taste to sand bass too.

Yellowfin croaker are better to me.

Of course corvina and white sea bass are good too.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
svendawg

cook book

Quote:
With a sand bass I usually make a sauce with them and serve it with rice or pasta.

All kinds of ways you can go.

garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, anchovies- make like a pasta sauce first then gently put the sand bass in the last minute until barely cooked through. Add some pasta to it.

Or just a basic linguine with white clam sauce but use the sand bass instead.

Asian: sichuan boiled fish- doubian jiang, black bean, chile sauce, chicken or fish broth, sichuan peppercorns, garlic, ginger make the sauce first add the fish but dusted them lightly with flour first and put in the boiling sauce a piece at a time. turn off the heat until the fish is done. Serve with rice.

Garlic, ginger, olive oil, wine, minced anchovies, diced red peppers, diced tomatoes, diced olives, salt pepper put the fish whole in aluminum foil and then bake in an oven for 30-35 minutes. Serve with rice or pasta.

Sand Bass is kind of a dry and flat texture so I like to give it more flavor and moisture so that is why using a sauce helps it.

Mexican- dried chiles de arbol and guajillo: toast them first in a pan but dont burn then boil them until soft. Put in a bender with fresh water and add vinegar, salt and sugar adding a little until you get the right proportions and taste. Let is sit for awhile it gets better.

After you made the sauce, then gently saute some diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and jalapenos until softed. Lightly saute the fish after it has been dusted with flour gently add the vegetables and then the sauce.

Serve with rice.

These should get you started.
Buddha

You should come out with a BWE cookbook
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
todd one

Looks like a Johnny Bass to me.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd one View Post
Looks like a Johnny Bass to me.
It's actually big mouth billy the bass. The one that can sing.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
LDO10

Buddha,
You gotta lay down a challenge to the Sporting Chef. Now I know why Makobob was raving about your cooking.

Les
LDO10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Buddha

You should come out with a BWE cookbook
Interesting idea. I have thought of a cookbook or a series of videos to package.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO10 View Post
Buddha,
You gotta lay down a challenge to the Sporting Chef. Now I know why Makobob was raving about your cooking.

Les
Thank you Les. Come on one of our baja trips and you can taste my cooking for yourself.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Hondatom

Buddha : awesome suggestions on the cooking. Much respect Brother!
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Big T
Member, You Member!

Nice recipes! Nice Sandy!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Thank you Les. Come on one of our baja trips and you can taste my cooking for yourself.
Between the 10th and 20th of April, Jeff will once again be cooking for us at Las Encantadas, we LOVED what he did in Asuncion with FROZEN farm raised Jumbo Shrimp. On this trip expect him to bring out his WORLD CLASS shrimp recipes to tantalize us with while using Wild JUMBO Sea of Cortez SHRIMP. Yes sir these shrimp slept in the ocean the NIGHT before we eat them. Impossible to get better shrimp unless you are on the boat catching them!!! Feel free to join us, all are welcome on these trips, you need not stay for the whole time, just be sure we know you are coming. We share the cost of meals, and help in the kitchen and with cleanup. Trip/meal planing 30 March at noon, Tidelands, fishing prior to meal. The lunch/planing session is only for those signed up for the trip. Thanks

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote