Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Oxbeast1210

Moving to San Diego need advice

Hi everyone My name is Oscar and Im a fishaholic...

Anyway Im moving to Sand Diego from Pensacola FL. Im a vey active member at http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com If any of you ever visit the area and need anything I have a lot of friends that can help you out.

I have sold all my fishing stuff and will be starting from scratch. I had a good fleet of kayaks and have tried or owned most the big name kayaks except the pro angler 12.

Currently I only have my ocean kayak trident 13.

Here are my questions

*where is the best place to learn the regs and FIsh ID's

* what 4 rod and reels combos should I own?

* where can i find out about baits and lures to use ?

*Is a wetsuit a must?

* what kayak is best for the area will my ocean kayak trident 13 be ok or should I sell it and go for the pro angler 12 or the new 14?

thank you in advance
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post
Hi everyone My name is Oscar and Im a fishaholic...

Anyway Im moving to Sand Diego from Pensacola FL. Im a vey active member at http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com If any of you ever visit the area and need anything I have a lot of friends that can help you out.

I have sold all my fishing stuff and will be starting from scratch. I had a good fleet of kayaks and have tried or owned most the big name kayaks except the pro angler 12.

Currently I only have my ocean kayak trident 13.

Here are my questions

*where is the best place to learn the regs and FIsh ID's

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/fishing_map.asp

* what 4 rod and reels combos should I own?

A few rods in the 20-50lb class would be good. If you are fishing near kelp, you will probably want to fill one or 2 reels with 65 lb spectra.

* where can i find out about baits and lures to use ?

This site is a good start. For big game fish (yellowtail, white seabass, halibut), most guys here use live bait (Mackrel, sardines, squid). Some harbors will have a bait barge, where you can buy a scoop of bait. Some areas, like La Jolla, you need to make your own bait. A sabiki rig and a live bait tank are almost required.

*Is a wetsuit a must?

Not during summer usually. Water is going to be colder here than in florida. Most guys here skip the wetsuit and get a cheap pair of breathable waders for year round. They keep you warm and dry in the winter, and keep the sun off you in the summer.

* what kayak is best for the area will my ocean kayak trident 13 be ok or should I sell it and go for the pro angler 12 or the new 14?

Your OK 13 will be fine, but the new PA's are pretty awesome.

thank you in advance
Welcome to BWE
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Amish Ed

Steve's got it right, but I disagree slightly on the rod selection. YOu need to decide on what you want to target. Bass or the big boys like White Sea Bass, Yellowtail and Halibut. If you're a bass guy then a variety of bass rods is the way to go. If you want to target the big boys then go Steve's direction. Or get a couple bass setups and a couple bigger ones.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

Welcome to the crew of BWE, there will be no lack of experience and knowledge in this forum, opinions too...lol, I would get a couple varied rigs until you decide what it is you are going to fish most, but just sit back relax and
check out the scenery, good luck out there and we will see ya OTW sometime
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Oxbeast1210

Thank you all for the quick response

I will mostly be going after the big fellas

but ill get a couple setups for the bass

What are a couple examples of the setups you use for the big boys?

I made the mistake of buying tons of cheap rods and reels here In FL

I dont what to make the same mistake there Id rather spend a little more and have 4 go to set ups for the big fish . I figure bass fishing is pretty much the same everywhere so I got what I need for that.

Ive always wanted to catch a big halibut hope I can get me one while i'm
there!

thanks again for the response if anyone hare more advice for a noob please don't hesitate even if its something simple.

Are there certain requirements to post reports on this site??

thanks
Oscar
Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Oxbeast1210

Holy cow MTNBYKR2 that halibut in pic would work for me !

Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Pro Angler for sure! Assuming you are wanting to go for the bigger stuff in La Jolla, get yourself a few Sealines from Daiwa. They're a great reel for the $$$. Load up with 65# Power Pro. Since you're a right coaster are you more well-versed in spinning reels? It seems to be the order of the day over there.

I've never been a fan of the coffee grinder, but recently I got to experience the virtues of the new Penn Battle spinning reels. GREAT REEL and perfect for loading up spectra and sawing through the kelp. And since you will be adding throwing the iron to your arsenal soon, the Battles can flat out throw the iron even when casting into the wind (no birds nests!!).

I see people out on the water with (don't flame me please) an insane amount of gear, too much, i.m.o. One bait rig, one iron rig, and a sabiki / candy catcher rig and you're good to go.

A bait tank is a must, and if money is no object, get yourself a nice FF with a big screen and learn to use it in manual mode.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
finyak

Welcome aboard!! I just picked up a Hobie Outback about 2 months ago and just about everything I've learned was from this site and fishing with people from this site.Let us know when you get into town so we can post a trip on this board and maybe have a BBQ.

Frank,aka finyak
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Oxbeast1210

awesome just what i'm looking for I guess I should have posted on here before selling some of my gear.. What size battle do you think I would need? Would a 7000 work? I have a GPS/ Fish finder but have yet to rig it up. ill do a search for bait tanks on here but if someone knows one they can recommend please let me know.

Im with you on not taking too much gear I used to take tons but realized I only used 2 or three a bait catcher , something to troll with and something to deep drop.

Ive been looking and there doesn't seem to be a sticky for us noobs.
Would be cool if one of you pros made a thread for just that . I did learn a bit by search other threads from noobies but a sticky would be ideal . Eitherway im new here so if im asking to much or already annoying people please ignore me!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Oxbeast1210

Thank you Frank looking forward too it!!

There are are at least two other people on this forum that I know from my local forum so hoping we can learn together .
Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
tacmik

For your rod and reel set ups, I would go to a place out here called Squidco. They are extremely knowledgeable on all aspects of fishing. Let them know you are fishing from a yak and what you want to catch and where you plan on going, and what you can afford to pay. They will not steer you wrong and they have the best prices. And no, I do not work for them but I do patronize them.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Oxbeast1210

THanks Tacmik ill be sure to stop by.

I hear the license is sold by calendar year?
Might have to wait till Jan to start fishing lol
Old 09-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post
get yourself a few Sealines from Daiwa. They're a great reel for the $$$. Load up with 65# Power Pro.
Don't get power pro, there are a lot better braids on the market.

Straight from Charkbaits website

Power Pro - We are discontinuing this line based upon several factors. First, customer feedback which has been increasingly negative - probably more a factor of recognition that there are better products now on the market. Secondly, Power Pro has not kept up with newer innovations, contrast that with Cortland and Jerry Brown. And, finally, these guys are now owned by a nameless bike company which we don't support. To further understanding, we now have been led to understand that Power Pro will now move production overseas, using an inferior Spectra copy. They'll try to belatedly jump on Jerry Brown's innovations of hollow core, with a knock-off product. No innovation, just parasitic marketing. Nope, we won't stock the stuff, and suggest to our clients that their money is better spent with those firms that offer true innovation.

Last edited by Drake; 09-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
roadx

hey ox glad you made it over and getting ready for the transition.

steveooo knows his stuff as well as a lot of other members on here. a lot of it is personal preference but his recommendations seem spot on.
i have mostly cheap rigs and it wont hurt as much if you dump in the surf and either loose or break gear.

if you hire a guide like josh pruitt or kevin nakada it will help a lot with the learning curve.

in the mean time read through the forum, lots of great info

get your ass out here and lets go fishing
Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
roadx

bait tanks

if you dont buy a hobie tank most people build there own, i use a vittles vault with a tsunami pump using a 6 volt battery. let me know and a can post up a picture if you like?

CA fishing license is dec - dec sucks i know

squidco is the place
Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Oxbeast1210

If you get get a chance post the picture of the bait well I don't think ill go the Hobie well route.. how are you liking the Pa 12?

Been reading a lot on here seems like the trophy fish are

yellow tail
white sea bass
and halibut
correct??

are there smaller species of fish that are good table fare and possibly easier to catch? lol

do most people fish in la Jolla and the bay ? Does one catch the same fish offshore?

Thanks you all for the help I feel very welcome on this forum.

I will take a charter with Mr. Pruitt shortly after I get there

Drake thanks for the heads up on the Power Pro

Oscar
Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
awesome just what i'm looking for I guess I should have posted on here before selling some of my gear.. What size battle do you think I would need? Would a 7000 work? I have a GPS/ Fish finder but have yet to rig it up. ill do a search for bait tanks on here but if someone knows one they can recommend please let me know.

Im with you on not taking too much gear I used to take tons but realized I only used 2 or three a bait catcher , something to troll with and something to deep drop.

Ive been looking and there doesn't seem to be a sticky for us noobs.
Would be cool if one of you pros made a thread for just that . I did learn a bit by search other threads from noobies but a sticky would be ideal . Eitherway im new here so if im asking to much or already annoying people please ignore me!
I fished the Battle 6000 a couple weeks ago for some good sized yellows near the kelp on my buddy's tin boat. Plenty of power and plenty of spectra capacity for inshore yellows and wsb.

As far as bait tanks go, you can call OEX and they'll hook you up, or simply search through these forums. There's some guys with serious skills. Check the "Innovations" thread.

As far as a DIY bait tank the Vittles Vault bait tank people are making is a helluva invention.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Don't get power pro, there are a lot better braids on the market.

Straight from Charkbaits website

Power Pro - We are discontinuing this line based upon several factors. First, customer feedback which has been increasingly negative - probably more a factor of recognition that there are better products now on the market. Secondly, Power Pro has not kept up with newer innovations, contrast that with Cortland and Jerry Brown. And, finally, these guys are now owned by a nameless bike company which we don't support. To further understanding, we now have been led to understand that Power Pro will now move production overseas, using an inferior Spectra copy. They'll try to belatedly jump on Jerry Brown's innovations of hollow core, with a knock-off product. No innovation, just parasitic marketing. Nope, we won't stock the stuff, and suggest to our clients that their money is better spent with those firms that offer true innovation.

All due respect those who disagree, but Power Pro is certainly one of the best spectras out there for 99% of the type of fishing we do. I'll take a flat spectra over a round one any day for cutting through the lettuce.

In my humble opinion, and at the risk of both threadjacking and opening a can of worms, this hit piece from Charkbait seems reeking of venom. Instead of, "We will no longer be stocking PowerPro." They go out of their way to slam them repeatedly. Overseas??? Well then, are they going to keep stocking other "overseas" company's products? Kinda hypocritical, is it not? Let's be honest for a second, since we are talking about "knock offs" and "overseas"...

Shouldn't they be talking about how Okuma (an overseas company) straight up incorporated everything in the Tiburon reels so that they could finally make a reel worth a shit? Where's the outrage from Charkbait on that? Oh, yes, I get it... Charkbait makes more money selling those reels than shitty old Power Pro. Oh, let's not forget all the Chinese Penns that they sell as well.

And the whole JB spectra comment? Hmmm, hasn't pretty much everyone copied JB's hollow to a certain degree? Don't get me wrong, JB is about the best overall spectra money can buy, but PowerPro does have it's place, whether Charkbait likes it or quite venomously doesn't. And that place is in the kelp, sawing through stringers more effortlessly than anything else currently on the market.

Will PowerPro keep making a decent (in my opinion) product or not? That remains to be seen. But for Charkbait to go out of their way to flame them in this manner I guess most of us will never know.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
roadx

Quote:
If you get get a chance post the picture of the bait well I don't think ill go the Hobie well route.. how are you liking the Pa 12?

Been reading a lot on here seems like the trophy fish are

yellow tail
white sea bass
and halibut
correct??

are there smaller species of fish that are good table fare and possibly easier to catch? lol

do most people fish in la Jolla and the bay ? Does one catch the same fish offshore?

Thanks you all for the help I feel very welcome on this forum.

I will take a charter with Mr. Pruitt shortly after I get there

Drake thanks for the heads up on the Power Pro

Oscar
yep those are the big three for me. there are a variety of rock fish that make good table fare.
the bays are mostly bass and halibut, i will keep some sand bass (wife loves them) out of the bigger bays/ocean but most bay fishing is catch and release for me.
the PA 12 has it's advantages and disadvantages. i like the room, dont like the steering. like the speed but dont like getting in it while surf launching. the weight is better than i thought but standing up is not as stable as i hoped. the high seat rocks but dont even think about paddling it.
i will say, i wouldnt/cant go back to the outback. im spoiled
Old 09-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
roadx

sorry crappy cell pictures