Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Drake

Limmmiiitts!!

Not on lobsters though.

Hit the bugs last night, got limits. Hit tuna this morning....got limits

Got on my buddies boat and hit the open ocean in search of some Yellow fin tuna.

Got on the boat around 4:30am. Loaded up with some fresh dines. A scoop an half should do the trick. We were part of the "armada."

My buddy is on the fishdope thingy and has a buddy list. So us and 7 other boats were collectively working together to put each other on the right kind. Everyone went looking for paddies. We found our first one right off the bat, 28 miles from where we wanted to be. Figured we would try and get the skunk off early. Played with the paddy for a few minutes and got some rats. Phew, the pressure was off.

Took about two hours bouncing around kelp to kelp until the first boat of the armada picked up a tuna. A bluefin. It was 39 miles away and not worth out time. So we continued our way to the 1010 stopping at every paddy, not finding the right kind.

30 minutes later. "ARMADA ARMADA GO TO SECRET CHANNEL"
We get a report of a solid tuna bite 19 miles away. We start haulin' ass at 33knots. BOOKIN IT!

We get there and set up our first drift. Suddenly some redneck voice "Aye der in tha' big ole whie boat wit dem yeller striped outrigggers, you dun gonna go right over dat der pat-tey, fixya drift"

My buddy driving (Drew) says "lines up, we're moving"

During the reel in.... POP! Fish on. I was using my new favorite rod, Seeker Stealth 25lb with my Abu Alphamar 14. So much fun to fight these footballs on crack.

Next one came on a slow troll of live bait while we were moving. Completely unintentional. Derek was just too lazy to pull his bait. It was by Dereks first. In true fashion he ate the heart and took it like a champ.

We ended up losing the paddy. So we decided to try rigging up the trolling rods with Squid bars/Teaser rigs. The plan was to set up 6. The first bite came with one rod down before it could even be put in the outrigger clip. We got the Tuna on board and get the first and second rod down. BAM, BAM. Double hit.
Now we've got 5 on board. 3 of them in less than 4 minutes. 6-11 also came on the trolling set up 7-11 was a quad hit. I told Drew,I wanted to get 13,14 and 15 the fun way. On the light stuff. So we set it up to get 12 on the troll, and when it came up we were going to sprinkle bait and live line on our light rods.

Well, 12 came quick. Chum went out and so did the live lines. Triple hook set across the board. I let the last one run for as long as he could. I wanted to savor getting number 15 in the boat.
Number 15

LIMITS

After that, we gave our trolling rigs to one of the boats in the Armada who we invited to run a box pattern along side us, who couldn't get anything. Within 20 minutes of him putting on the rigs we gave him, he had limits.

All in all it was a fun day. Having limits before noon is never something to complain about. We brought our spear gear along and stopped by the endless supply of kelp paddies. Not much action though. Got one dodo that seemed to come from absolutely nowhere.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
bigbarrels

Awesome!! Just signed up on the last two spots (Florida Boy and myself) for a 3.5 day trip out of San Diego this Sunday-Thursday and your post has me fired up!!

Thanks for sharing and a gain for the invite
Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Deamon

That right there is enough bug bait for the season...great job!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Sweet!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Nice!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Great job, Neill!
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
lamb

Killed'um, you guys did!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Thats nice bro you guys got limits by noon im gonna head out on one soon and you got my hopes up. Btw how big was the boat?
Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Thats nice bro you guys got limits by noon im gonna head out on one soon and you got my hopes up. Btw how big was the boat?
Yeah we got all 15 in a matter of an hour. Spent most of the time finding them.

It was a 28ft cuddy cabin.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
JeffB

Nicely done!