Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
TCS

Minn Kota Trolling Motor

I've been waiting for the industry to develop a modern, simple, affordable trolling motor for hobie kayaks. The feedback I've heard on Torqueedo has been pretty mixed and seems to always include reports of on the water failures.

I've looked at Bixby Jet and it just seems primitive compared to the highly developed products for boats and skiffs. I'm wondering if anybody's considered converting something like this for a drive well mount:

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...e-engine-mount

Or...what else you've heard about a robust, modern, easy to use, affordable solution that might be coming down the pike.

Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

Motor

I’ve tried a DIY Motorguide trolling motor with a mirag drive cassette and a group 24 battery mounted behind the seat on the PA.
It worked great although clunky and heavy...
I tried the Watersnake motor with a Hobie cassette mount when it came out a few years ago...smaller but less options on speeds and it’s pretty cheesy in the manufacturing
I’m now running the Bixpy motors in both my 2 Pro Anglers and my Adventure Island
The battery system is pretty cool and the mount options for the motor are pretty varied.
I’m sold on this motor as both affordable and efficient.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
PapaDave

I took a Minnkota Riptide 55lb and modified it for my PA17 fitting it in one of the peddle slots. Using a large battery. Clunky and heavy but it moves.

Warning, you will void the warrantee doing what I did.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
jacksonbigtuna
Junior

I rigged up a minnkota 55lb thrust then a 35lb for one year on my jacksonbigtuna. The problem is stored energy. Lead acid batteries are heavy. If you want to run the trolling motor for 6-8 hours a day for a full morning of fishing, you'll need a lot of battery. I ended up lugging around two batteries. Pretty lame. The only good thing is that the equipment was cheap.

On the other hand, the lighter batteries.....lithium ion.... are expensive and still don't store a lot of energy. I think they have about 5 times the energy density than a lead acid battery. Seems like a lot and would probably suffice for a whole day of fishing, but they are sooo expensive.

I don't think there will be an inexpensive option coming down the pipeline. Unless of course lithium batteries get cheaper and even lighter...

I ended up getting a tandem island and a used 2 stroke for 200 dollars to use for trolling. Gasoline has about 50 times the energy density than batteries. I use maybe a gallon of gas each time I go out.
jacksonbigtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
flyfishinsteve64

Send a message via Yahoo to flyfishinsteve64
Smile

Why not buy a boat??? To me kayaking is about stealth. Start putting motors on it now you have a boat. Just doesn't make sense to me but that ok . Carry On
flyfishinsteve64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
TCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinsteve64 View Post
Why not buy a boat??? To me kayaking is about stealth. Start putting motors on it now you have a boat. Just doesn't make sense to me but that ok . Carry On
The reason I would like a motor is to increase my range as I get pretty tired by the end of the day. The main reason I don't get a skiff is related to storage and transportation. I like storing my revo on the side of my house and throwing it on top of the car for trips. If I motorize I might also upgrade to a PA, but I think I could still car-top it and do side yard storage. If I graduate to anything that requires a trailer then I have to figure out where to park it and I don't have a good solution where I live. Also, I would think that a kayak with electric motor would still be very stealthy.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
spudleydoright
Junior

Keep in mind that once you put any type of motor on your kayak it then has to be registered in order to be legal. I know in Newport it will also limit where you can legally launch as all the regular spots say "Human Powered" on the regulatory signs.
spudleydoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Saba Slayer

no biggie...

It's no big deal to go to AAA and get your kayak registered for CF numbers...and once it's done its only about $15 a year after that and it's all done by mail...Use your paddle to launch then when out of the no power zone...drop in your motor...easy peazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudleydoright View Post
Keep in mind that once you put any type of motor on your kayak it then has to be registered in order to be legal. I know in Newport it will also limit where you can legally launch as all the regular spots say "Human Powered" on the regulatory signs.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 AM   #9
Hank
Banned

I used to disagree but now I see there's some truth to what you say . By the way, I miss boating but my motor is quite old... I'll be grabbing these: https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-...otor-batteries just to be on the safe side.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
randman
Banned

an interesting question. I too was looking for it
randman is offline   Reply With Quote