Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
eertkao
Steve-O.

kayak cart tire tube replacement

Hey guys, I recently got a free kayak cart that had a bad tube on one of the tires. So I ordered a new tube and attempted to install it but had great difficulty. I was able to get the old tube off and the new tube in BUT I wasn't able to get both sides of the tire wrapped around the rim.

My question: Where do you think I could take it to get installed (properly)?
eertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
jorluivil

try this
http://youtu.be/DyuHco1Z12Y

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

LMFAO.
Grazie el postino.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
brotherp

Have you tried using bicycle tire levers to mount the tire to the rim?
brotherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
bellcon

a little dish soap on the rim should do it
if not then a set of tire levers will
Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
james92026

fwiw...Harbor Freight carries some 8 inch inflatable wheels for around $7 as I recall. I built my own cart out of PVC for under $30. "borrowed" the design from another site and posted it here a while back. It works great and allows me to load onto roof top single handed by inverting it on my trunk.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
eertkao
Steve-O.

jorluivil: haha, that'll be my last resort if all else fails!

I've tried the dish soap with large flat head screw drivers but it just became a big slippery mess

I might take it to a lawn mower repair shop and see if they can help. Thanks guys for the input and inspirational video!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Kesepton

Are you having difficulty putting the inner of the tire back onto the rim? If so, heres how it probably can be done.

Id imagine its similar to bike tubes. Dont use a screw driver unless you dont mind putting dings in your rim.

First, when installing the tube, make sure to put a little air in it before you put it in. If you dont you risk having it kink/twist/pinch and will weaken your tube. Sounds like you already have one side of the tire off, so ill just tell ya how to reinstall it. Once you have your tire installed and the stem pointing the right direction, install the tire oppisite of the stem first. Then start pushing it all down until you cant by hand. Using a bike tire lever (cheap, buy the 3 pack, youll be much happier than the one), youll insert it between the tire and rim and lever it on, working your way to the stem. Having the 3 pack, you can lever one side on, and they have a clip so that it can hold it in while you do the next side. Having one, you risk having it pop out on ya and having to do it again.

If its tubeless, you can try what they did in that video. Though, we usually use an aerosol product (hair spray perfered over bug spray...), spray for a second or two, then light it. Youll probably need to bleed air afterwards. We do this with tubeless mountain bike tires when no compressor/co2 is around. You need fast high pressure air to get the bead to set, so bike pumps wont do cut it. Most bike/sports stores will do it for ya for free.

Hope thats what the problem was!
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

usually split rims on these wheels, easier to buy a new wheel......................$25

Harbor Freight have bearings..............not good with sand, bushings are the way to go.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
eertkao
Steve-O.

kesepton: I'm pretty comfortable changing bike tires/tubes and so I attempted the same procedure you were explaining. I got the new tube in and one side of the tire around the rim but the other side of the tire is what I can't seem to get over the rim.