Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Fred Hall Show 07

I had a chance to get up to the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach on Saturday. I probably spent about 8 or 9 hours wandering around like a kid in a candy store. I just can't help myself; I love this show. I didn't see any really great deals this year. I was hoping for a repeat of last year's deal on Sealine reels, but no luck. As usual, there were lots of bargains to be had. I picked up a ton of Owner hooks at a pretty good price. I normally stock up on the irons at the show, but I've got a lot right now and the prices just weren't good enough to justify getting more.
Each year it seems as though the kayak fishing community gets more representation at the show. This year there was a seminar room devoted to kayak fishing and seminars running almost continuously through the show. I caught a couple of good ones while I was there.
All the major kayak manufacturers were represented. One interesting addition this year was the Macski exhibit. Macski is a South African surf/fishing ski manufacturer that is starting to import skis to the US. Its nice to actually be able to see some of these fishing skis up close. One more toy that I want
I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that the attendance was down a little this year. Overall it was a good show.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
jscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
One interesting addition this year was the Macski exhibit. Macski is a South African surf/fishing ski manufacturer that is starting to import skis to the US. Its nice to actually be able to see some of these fishing skis up close. One more toy that I want
Sounds very cool. Any idea on the prices? Any pics available?

-scott
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I was able to get up on Saturday for the show too. The attendance did seem to be down from last year's show. The line only went around the building once. I sat in and inspected the Macski, an interesting addition to the fishing yaks, but probably not for me. It is probably lightning fast too, but I did not like the fiberglass design and un-secured hatches. I agree that it really was good to see the great representation of the plastic navy there though.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Handymansd
Ancient Member

oh ya... almost forgot... http://www.macski.co.za/

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
dmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
oh ya... almost forgot... http://www.macski.co.za/
I've been using one for about a year. It's definitely a different feel compared to some of the other fishing kayaks.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=604
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
bearlythere

mac ski

The shop up in Carlsbad had two for sale earlier this year....dont know if there still there though....he had a Kingfisher model and the smaller one forget what it was called....looked nice fast...yah fiber glass scared me away to....i fish to many rocks and beach launches...evnen though I know they do to in S. Africa...Im just afraid of the leaning curve price...
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
dgax65
Guerro Grande

The San Diego Sailing Center now sells both the Macski Kingfisher and the Explorer. They will have demos available to try out after the Del Mar show.
I can't remember the exact price, but I think the Kingfisher is about $1500.
I think I'd be pushing the load limits on a Kingfisher if I were to try to load any fishing gear on it. I'd still like to have one just for playing in the surf and general paddling. From the reviews that I've read, most fishing skis aren't that much faster than the average poly yak, but they are designed to handle the surf that is common in South Africa. There are a number of ski makers in South Africa, but Macski is the only one that I know of that is shipping full container loads to the US. All others get sent LTL and I've seen reports that the damage in transit rate is over 50%.
Other makers:
Kaskazi
Tomski
Eric's Canoes
Makski

and my personal favorite

Stealth Performance Products
The Stealth site has a gallery with some awesome pictures
http://www.stealthpp.co.za/Gallery.asp#
Stealth has a couple of models that I think I'd like. The B.F.S-2006 is a conventional fishing ski that has a greater load capacity than the Macski Kingfisher. They also have a new design that is not on their products page yet. The new design is more like a conventional SOT yak than a fishing ski, however, it retains many of the typical ski features.

The ski is in the foreground and the new yak is in the back. They just tested the yak at a fishing comp in Mozambique a few months back.

The designers solicited input from members of the Australian Kayak Fishing Forum when they were working on this.

The South Africans have to deal with some pretty nasty surf conditions. The fishing skis are designed to handle this big surf and provide protection for the fishing gear and catch.

Even if you didn't fish from them, the fishing skis look like they would be fun in the surf.