Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Hate to have this happen to us

Though very unlikely to ever happen to any of us, it couldn't hurt to be mentally prepared at the possibility. Even a whale could inadvertantly launch you and your kayak into the air, especially this time of year.
This incident occurred off of South Africa, where great whites occur in huge volumes.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/pr...-attack_64214/
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
james92026

I can not say that this thought didn't occur to me as when I found myself clinging on to an overturned kayak off the coast of Oceanside a couple of weeks ago. I was able to right the kayak without problem, but was not able to hoist myself onboard due to the weight of my clothing, I was lucky in that a power boat came to my rescue and it was not until later that all these other possibilities came to mind. Especially after the several reports of Great White sightings near Mission Beach, Encinitas, e.t.c. in recent months. Although relatively calm at the time, that thought did come to mind.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

thank you for sharin the info, and the thought...we should all be mentally prepared for the inevidable...you are in the f35k!n ocean...
which I thought I would never do, ....about 7 wonderful years OTW ago...be safe and Merry Christmas
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
PAL

Three kayak anglers have been hit in Central California in the past 5 years. The most recent was around Thanksgiving. Harry Pali shared his story in the hopes others could learn from his harrowing experience.

Shark Struck: A Survivor Speaks

http://www.kayakanglermag.com/index....tures&Itemid=2

After the first, I interviewed a great white expert for tips to reduce the risk:

Shark Survival, a How-To with Bite

http://www.kayakanglermag.com/index....tures&Itemid=2

In all the years I've reported on the sport, I've yet to come across a documented report of a shark-on-fishing-kayak attack that resulted in a death or serious injury. The kayak takes the hit. However, two of the Central California victims' kayaks took on enough water that sinking was a concern. A third had razor sharp cuts through his wetsuit and sandal straps - he believes he kicked a tooth.

The take-home for me is this. Basic rescue skills and readiness are key. If you can quickly climb back on, the odds are with you.

James, what were you wearing that took on so much water you were too heavy to get back aboard?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Aaron&Julie

Yeah, Paul, I was hoping you'd repost some of that from your previous post. It always pays to be prepared, in all manners, because that is one big ocean with lots of big creatures, much bigger and meaner than a fisherman and his 'yak.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
james92026

I am new to the sport. I had never really practiced re-entry before, but read and reviewed videos and I felt confident. The day in question, I had on polyester jogging pants, lined snowboarding pants, sweat shirt, lined golf pullover, water resistant lined jacket, my legs were sort of jackknived under the boat due to the current and I could not get them stretched out behind me (in retrospect, I should have went to the other side). I probably would have figured that out but was rescued before I tried. I almost was able to get onboard a couple of times, but could not quite make it. Not particularly panicked at the time (it was much worse a few days later when I had time to consider what might have happened).
Water temp was around 55 degrees F. I was probably in the water 7 or 8 minutes. I probably could also have drifted to shore, but then I would have had to contend with a rocky shoreline. I estimate I was about 1/2 mile out.

James, what were you wearing that took on so much water you were too heavy to get back aboard?[/QUOTE]
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote