Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Mo Betta

Surf

Here is the newbie question of the day. How do you handle the surf going out or coming back in? I know pick your days, but what happens when you leave early and the wind kicks up? Where do the rods get stored, I cant see stuffing those 7-8' rods in the Kayak.

I know Im going to screw up, I just dont want to make the "Jacked Up" highlight reel lol Im getting closer to my LJ shores launch.
Mo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

Start out with a few surf practice sessions with no gear, so that you can get somewhat comfortable in the surf. Then maybe start out not taking the most expensive gear until you get more comfortable. Leash everything down and the worst case scenario is you have to take a reel apart & clean it or you break a rod. I have taken some diggers and have never broken or lost anything more valuable than a pair of sunglasses. On days like today you could launch & land at LJ blindfolded.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
wavster

I don't ever plan on dumping (and haven't since I was new), but I still remove my
reels when I launch and land. In the first 3 months of kayaking LJ, I went through 5 reels
due to exposure to the elements when launching and landing. Granted, the reels were cheapies,
but still, they didn't last - and I would rinse and lubricate them every between every
use. During the launch and landing, reels can get submerged, just by the amount of
water coming over the kayak going through the surf zone.

I stow the reels in my hatch and make sure my rods have leashes...
Depending on your yak, you should be able to easily fit a 7ft rod in the front hatch
along the length of your kayak.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Frank the key in getting out is timing the sets and not to hesitate, once you commit to going keep forward momentum and keep pointed straight into the swell, paddle right into the surf and brace forward at the last second and paddle some more. Surf can sometimes change dramatically while you are out just with the change of high and low tide. It has to be pretty bad for me to want to stow below, but leashing the rods gives me piece of mind in anything over 1 foot. I have some Surf to Summit leashes that are 2 pieces one is always clipped to my seat and the other is on the rod, just clip em in for a landing. I also will use my paddle leash to velcro a third rod, you don't want your paddle leashed in the surf.

I bet you could find one of us willing to go out with ya , post it up when you are ready.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
fishin steve

I like to use 7' rods on my 15' prowler. This allows me to fish all the way around the boat and when the surf gets big I store them below. I takes some getting used to but if you scooch your butt up to the bow You can slide 4-5 rods threw the front hatch no problem. Just remeber to take off the lures.
fishin steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Dennis

And remember to unleash your paddle... You don't want that thing wrapping around your neck.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
madscientist

Andy's got it right, the whole key to the surf is to be decisive. I never stash my rods but I do have a leash system on my bucket (loops over the handles). Going out, as long as you keep paddling and keep it straight, you'll punch out eventually. When landing, I use my feet over the side as flaps to create extra drag when a wave grabs me and to keep the nose up. Also lowers the center of gravity. Works every time.

The only times I've seen it change dramatically for the worse is coming in at high tide. I hate landing during a very high high.

With a little practice you should never crash in LJ. Baja, well, that's a different story.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Razorback

Hey Frank -

I'm headed out this Sunday. Park that Wellcaraft of yours about a mile west of the pier and I'll meet you offshore for bait and breakfast.

Seriously - come on down to the launch and join up for a paddle. Otherwise let us know when you want to jump in and myself or another knothead around here will watch you master the surf.

Razor Out

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Mo Betta

Thanks for the offers and the advice guys. Unleash the paddle, I would of never known to do that and would of probably made the news. Be decisive, got it.

I dont fish LJ too much with the Wellcraft, thats what the Kayak is for. Sometimes I just want to go fish without all of the "stuff". If you guys ever do see me out there, come on by! Im sure Ill have some deans for ya.
Mo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote