Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
dmr

How much will it cost to fish at La Jolla?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...14parking.html
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I heard this on the news this morning. That would be really crappy if we had a time limit.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
ratdog

This is another example of how inept our city government really is. Our city politicians have managed to be on the receiving end of alot of bad deals lately, Corky McMillan and Liberty Station, Qualcomm Stadium on and on, now this for a measly few bucks in comparison to what they could of had if they had any smarts at all.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
bearlythere

wrong...wrong ...wrong...

So wrong on so many levels...realy is a shame whats ahppenning around the city....and yes lJ your still part of San Diego no matter how hard you try...theres no city of La Jolla....
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
dorado50

Yea, no kidding, check out the condition of LJ streets, where does all the money go? Certainly not back into the city.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
This is another example of how inept our city government really is. Our city politicians have managed to be on the receiving end of alot of bad deals lately, Corky McMillan and Liberty Station, Qualcomm Stadium on and on, now this for a measly few bucks in comparison to what they could of had if they had any smarts at all.
I don't think the politicians are on the receiving end of the bad deals. They seem to be doing fine. The residents of the city are the ones who are on the receiving end of bad deals brought on by corruption and incompetent city management.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
esdees
The Good Clone

Different groups have been studying the LJ parking situation for 15 years. They keep coming to the same conclusions but hardly anything ever changes. My guess is that this trend will continue for a few more years. I wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks to park there as long as it's really just a couple bucks and I can park there the whole day. This 90 min or 3 hour limit stuff is BS.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
kurt

The article says that the reason for the pay parking would be to increase open spaces and not generate revenue. Well, unless they are going to use the proceeds to build a parking garage, the number of parking spaces will stay the same. So either they are trying to discourage people from coming by having pay parking and creating more open spaces, or they are lying and trying to generate revenue.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
DBITE

Probably just an attempt by a few rich La Jollans to make "their" beach too expensive for "undesireables" while relieving some of the city's financial woes. Like kurt pointed out, no new spaces will be added. In fact, they plan on removing street parking altogether unless you are a resident. Given supply and demand I can imagine it becoming very expensive to park there during the summer months. Really is too bad what's happening to this city. Might as well officially merge us with Los Angeles.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I read the link provided by the UT. A large part of the funds, ~40% will go to enforcement. If they used it to keep the launch ramp from caving in everytime it rained, and kept the raw sewage runoff off the beach I wouldn't complain too much. I am most worried about the time limit.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
dmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
I am most worried about the time limit.
Time limits or time of day restrictions could only be bad. I'm sure there will be a public comment period once they settle on some alternatives. Like Patrick said it will probably be quite awhile before anything is officially implemented. I just hope they don't implement some sort of severely restricted pilot program under the guise of collecting more information.

Kayakers and other early morning launch users are probably a relative small user group. We'll all have to make a lot of noise to be heard.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
Aguayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Kayakers and other early morning launch users are probably a relative small user group. We'll all have to make a lot of noise to be heard.
EH?
Aguayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Welll, when the time for making noise does present itself, we'll have to have a party in front of some politicians house.... Just let me know when and where and we'll, at the very least, be heard!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #14
rdahl

This isn't just parking meters. This is time limits. This could really screw us.

You all need to do more than just complain on the boards.
This is an issue we can do something about. I'm sure most people working on this issue do not understand how it would impact all of us. I wrote to three local congressmen, and the women mentioned in the article last night. I suggest that everyone who cares about this issue do the same. Only takes a few minutes. Let them know how we take our kids out for wholesome recreation, and how parking limits will hinder us.

The group promoting this idea is "Promote La Jolla". President is Deborah Morengo,
Promote La Jolla, Inc., 1150 Silverado Street, #221, La Jolla, CA 92037

Let em know how we feel.

Rick
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #15
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

This kind of thing has happened before. Some years ago, the city of Oceanside installed parking meters in the Oceanside Harbor parking lots and the streets around the Oceanside Pier. They used the same reasons the La Jolla people are using now, but the real reason was to keep surfers from parking on the streets around the pier and harbor parking lots.
Of course this type of thing is unfair, because most of the people who are affected are local residents, who live here, because they use the beach and ocean. The meters may not generate much income, but the tickets given for parking at an expired one certainly do. Tens of thousands of dollars a month, depending on the number of meters.
The city will say "park in the designated lots", but some of them have time limits, most of the time you can't park in them before 6 AM. I know that Oceanside sells annual permits for city lots(about $300, I think), but there are a limited number of them sold one day during the year.
As far as going to the city council meetings and such, I hate to say this, but you're wasting your time. Odds are kayakers who park on the streets are at least one of the people they are trying to get rid of because they park there the longest and are out there at 3 or 4 AM every day. As a business owner in Carlsbad for more than fifteen years I've been to many City Council meetings for ocean and beach issues. We lost every time and suffered retaliation to boot. After the latest problem, auto repair shops dumping antifreeze, ATF, oil and gasoline directly into storm drains four blocks from the ocean, the City of Carlsbad has come by and told me to leave town or else. By the way, did I mention that these auto repair shops fix Carlsbad Police vehicles?
Sorry to say it, but our wonderful ocean lifestyle is over. Money will win, it always does. Whether you are a Republican, Democrat or Independent, I think it is time for all Americans to take a hard look at the way this nation is being run, from the President to the secretary in City Hall. Until then, I recommend you think about doing what I have to do; pack up your broken heart, move somewhere else, and come visit San Diego on vacation.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #16
bearlythere

Stinky protest

I dont mine a small fee....I do like in ocean side were we lanch in the harbor quik paddle to the ocean that is 5.00 for a 8-10 block of time....and usualy i find parking fairly close even in the summer ( sometimes s tough)...but a long period of time is no problem...If they stat limiting Lj steets to an hour os so that would suck...Im close enought to get dropped off...but who want to do that every time.....If they pass this law i can think of a few stinky left overs to leave in spots as a protest.
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #17
dorado50

bearlyther are you ther? Whaaaaaat!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote