Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Widgeon

LJ Today 7/20

Paddled out from big rock about 5:45. Nice morning. Got out to the far side of the kelp in about 30- 40 minutes and was the first one in the area. I swore I saw an otter? Maybe a sea lion pup, but sure looked like a kelp weasel.

Anyhow, I Made some bait. Green macs.and began the slow troll, with occasional stops to throw iron. I was probably only fishing for 20 minutes when I suddenly saw a nice big YT swimming next to the boat. It must have gone right by my bait. I quickly reeled in my iron and tried to put it in his face, for nought. Oh well, seemed like a good sign anyway.
A while later, I caught a bonito. I decided to test my new stringer and keep it . Caught a few more and released them. A while after that, I feel a hard THUMP on the yak and see a huge, fat, dog swimming under my boat. Check the stringer... Empty. Then the pest hung around for another 5 minutes or so, eyeballing my bait, which I had reeled in and was trying to keep alive.

That was about it, got super slow around slack tide, so I paddled in. On the beach just before noon and even though the surf was tiny, it was the closest I've come to a yard sale in a long time.
A nice day to be on the water.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
h2ofishfo

Thanks for the report I would never do a stringer for that reason "kelp weasel ?" Ha nice pull
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
baerclaws

In case you were, I would not recommend hanging your catch on a stringer over the side, for your own mental and physical safety. I've heard some pretty scary stories.
Good luck
baerclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
battleborn

seems the yellows been a bit tight lipped lately. thanks for the update.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Widgeon

Yes, I was hanging it over the side.
After the incident, I realized how badly it could have gone.
I won't be doing that again, in the ocean anyway.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
straightrod

^Well if you do hang it over the side - secure the line with 10# kite string or something that will give way if a large beast wants it really bad.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
bigbarrels

thanks for the report.....going to give it a go manana......I had a GW lured in one year after hanging a couple over the side.......did it once and never again
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
User name

Great report I am definantly going to follow your lead and keep my stringer out of the water after hearing everyones input
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
RAYMO
new YAKER

big rock??

Im gonna goou sunday but curious where do u launch at big rock??? any [problems with parking or getting down to surf??? not familiar with that area. any tips???
RAYMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYMO View Post
Im gonna goou sunday but curious where do u launch at big rock??? any [problems with parking or getting down to surf??? not familiar with that area. any tips???
Big rock is the next surf break south of Windansea. Basically you go to the bottom of Nautilus street and hang a left. When you get to where the road turns back away from the beach, park ( emergency blinkers on) and carry the yak down a flight of stairs to the beach.
Then I park the truck about a block away and carry my gear down.
Best launch area is the far southern portion of the beach.
This is right at the northern border of the MPA, closed area, so you have to paddle north and west. Plenty of kelp to fish calicos and such, or you can go all the way out for YT and the like.
Good times. I've been launching on Sunday mornings at the but crack. If you'd like to join me, let me know.

Last edited by Widgeon; 07-22-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Dannowar

better hope its flat. between windansea and big rock is some serious shore break with random rock piles hidden under a few inches of water. timing is everything

heres a small summer day

Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Widgeon

It is about timing, but it's really not bad, unless you're worried about getting your panties and skirt wet. Especially, as I said, at the far south end. I have launched there the last 3 Sundays without bother or incident.
Though, I did have a yard sale there several years ago.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Hey Dannowar, have you seen Clark Little's pictures of shorebreak?

Widgeon, I forgot to add something in that other thread. That is, when you turn side saddle brace with each hand on each side of the yak. Turn your legs outboard. Then turn your body.

Last edited by Amish Ed; 07-22-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Amish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
Widgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Hey Dannowar, have you seen Clark Little's pictures of shorebreak?

Widgeon, I forgot to add something in that other thread. That is, when you turn side saddle brace with each hand on each side of the yak. Turn your legs outboard. Then turn your body.
That makes sense. I may actually give it a try on the way in next weekend.