Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
bubbacee7

Memorial Day Morning On SD Bay

Happy Memorial Day my fishing family. Got a break from my daughter's Softball all stars. FishingMike launched our yaks today on SD Bay. We got out at about 0545 this morning. Was overcast with some minor drizzle, the water was cool, tide was extremely low and the wind was light. There was no one else on the water. Caught a mack and two spotties on the troll just off of Shelter Island Point lower range marker. Not much biting for me on the cast. Fishing Mike had about the same challenge. Worked some of the NAS NI side too. Grass thick there. Received a couple more bites back across on the troll (one more mack) but no significant bites.

Seemed like others got out on the water just after 0800.

Either there is no respect or we are the only two that hear the National Anthem. We can all stop, take our hats off, and put our fishing on pause. Just one man's opinion.

Big hits drifting on the south side of Shelter Island. Casted a couple ghost shrimp plastic. Drifted and let it drag the bottom. Got hit hard several times. Caught two keeper sandies (one at 16.5 inches, and two small sandies and a spottie. Missed two toads both breaking my line. Got antsy and should have worked the fish more. Next time. Good day getting the yak on the water, the poles out, the line wet, and landing some fish.

Final Count:

Fishing Mike - 1 bat ray, 1 cuda, 2 spotties, 2 halibuts, and 4 sandies.

Bubbacee7 - 3 macks, 3 spotties, 4 sandies, 1 lizard fish (does that even count?).

Thank you to all of you that serve our great nation and blessings to those of you that have lost loved ones that served our nation.
Attached Images

bubbacee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
FullFlavorPike

what did mike catch the bat ray on? do they eat plastics?
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
bubbacee7

Bat Ray

He was fishing a Rapalee lure. Said it tapped tapped then dove and peeled out line. Dragged him around in the yak.
bubbacee7 is offline   Reply With Quote