Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
driftwood

A new trend....

Why is kayak fishing becoming so popular?

http://www.inshorefishingjournal.com/articles/kayaking/welcome-to-kayak-fishing.php
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

its cheap, easy and fun. you don't have to catch a big fish or a lot of fish to have a good day.

plus more advertising and the power of the internet.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
its cheap, easy and fun. you don't have to catch a big fish or a lot of fish to have a good day.

plus more advertising and the power of the internet.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
slimsisher
Junior

Gas,matinance,overcrouding you name it I just love being out on the water
slimsisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
taggermike

I fished last week with 68 year old guy on his first kayak session. He owns a yatch and makes several long range trips a year but He was like kid with his first fish catching spotties and vina off the yak. The fun factor is huge. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
TJones

roger that

good post . thanks for sharing.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
ctfphoto

Because it so dang fun.

The exercise is a great health benefit as well as the wonderful seafood.

I started yak fishing a little over a year ago and have gone at least once a week ever since. I now need to go out on the water.

And the big secrete is, that it is so much easier (to Kayak Fish) then most people think. Beach Launching thru waves at La Jolla on a small swell is a cakewalk. Lobster Hooping at night is so easy when it sounds so difficult at first.

It is all good.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Dirty Curti

I got into it this year because my son, who is 17 wanted to get into it. I thought it would be a good excuse to get more father/son time. Who knows how much time I will have with him until he finds others to hang with.

We made a few good trips to LaJolla and the harbor in Oceanside. Not many fish to be had but good time spent on the water.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

sold my kayak and picked up a skiff

but kayaks are easier to transport/store, can paddle over kelp, and can get real close to rocks without worrying about damage. + exercise is always nice. and catching a big YT on a kayak while a boat stares at you = awesomeeee
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
capntim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
love that part the most!
X2
capntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

There are so many things that make Kayak fishing what it is and I think one of the biggest draws is the people that are in it. This site for example, look at all the help that comes out when a newb comes on board. Sure there are some that overlook them and brush on by, but I think there is more help and encouragement by most on here and that helps make people feel good about what they are doing, and involved with.

I owned a boat and sure it was nice to be able to hit places that are miles apart from each other but you miss so much when doing that. I have found spots that I use to just fly by because I was in a hurry getting to a spot that I thought would work.

Kayak fishing is great and the people in it are great.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
There are so many things that make Kayak fishing what it is and I think one of the biggest draws is the people that are in it. This site for example, look at all the help that comes out when a newb comes on board. Sure there are some that overlook them and brush on by, but I think there is more help and encouragement by most on here and that helps make people feel good about what they are doing, and involved with.

Kayak fishing is great and the people in it are great.
i agree, there's a lot less ass holes in kayak fishing than power boats. seems 90% of those guys think they own the ocean and are better than everyone else out there... unless of course you pull up a big yellow next to them. or cruise by with a halibut on the back, then they want to be buddies.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
driftwood

I started kayak fishing because i couldn't afford a boat and had no place to park it. But, if you add up the money i invested on my PA i could've had a nice small sciff.

The connection to the ocean, the tranquilty and quiet peace that comes with kayak fishing is unparalleled. How many times have we come home after kayak fishing and felt soooo relaxed? Add a couple of beers to that relaxation and now you have total bliss!

I'm convinced that you will definitely hook up more yellow tail on a boat. But, when it comes to hooking up White Seabass...kayakers wiil always win! I'm pretty sure you know why.

DSC01135.jpg
And oh yes, don't you just love showing off!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Rufus

I have owned three skiffs over 40 years. One is sitting in my driveway right now and hasn't been in the water since the wife and I bought a couple of Hobie's three years ago. Yep, the wife bought a yack, too. She hadn't gone fishng with me since our honeymoon in Kona 30 years ago.

Now she comes out every time I go fishing. She doesn't fish, she tours in her own Revo while I'm working the water in my PA14.

My skiff has a 100 gallon fuel tank. $365 in fuel costs for a run down to the 425. My PA14 costs me zippo in fuel and I have a much better time in the yack...and my bride comes along!

There's a popular saying in the fishing game...."You don't want to run over fish to find fish." That is so true in a yack. I've caught more quality fish per hour of yack fishing in SD Bay and off the Pt. Loma kelp beds than I ever caught in 40 years of skiff fishing off shore.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote