Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
Harry Hill

bait caster question

who makes bait casting reel that will handle ultra light jigs, 1/8 and under? Anyone? I'm looking for something for panfish.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
TJones

lots of choices

probably need to be more descriptive. are you looking for something solely for freshwater? or something that could handle double duty? I'm assuming you are looking for level wind? and of course most importantly, size of budget? personally I like Shimano, but I picked up a couple daiwa Lexa 400's this year at show. solid reels. Lew's are supposed to be good for fresh water. but again, im a Shimano guy.. going with either Shimano or daiwa won't won't disappoint.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Harry Hill

this will be strictly a fresh water rig, Pan fish, crappies and bluegill. Somthing that can toss a split shot and worm 50 feet, or a 16th ounce jig. I have all shimano, my shimano baitcaster was their first issue, it's over 40 years old and still works great but it won't throw the little stuff, 1/4 ounce is probably the lightest it will toss. I would like to see the Lews Crappie reel. Level wind is nice and with left hand crank would really be nice but night now everything I have is right hand, so I cast and change hands, no big deal. I was looking at reels today at Bass Pro and ended up buying a Shimano Sedona 1000 spinning reel and 7'6" ugly stick that is very whippy. It will handle the lightest things I'm casting but I was trying to get away from spinning reels if I can. I'm probably looking for a unicorn here.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Tekniks

Might want to look at a shimano curado 70. Light spooll might do it if u find the right rod to pair w
Tekniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Amish Ed

I'm looking to get a spinning outfit for ultralight jigs. If you want a bait caster, like Tekniks suggested, get small a spool. Curado 70 would fit the bill. Being freshwater only, you can get away with other company's products too. Though I'm not sure which would be best. I had a Abu Garcia Pro Max that could cast really well, but it sucked in the salt. Lasted 6 months. I assume it would be fine in fresh water only.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
Harry Hill

Ed, I bought a Shimano Sedona 1000 spinning reel yesterday for the light jig fishing. The problem I'm having with a bait caster is finding one that will get moving with the very light stuff. I'm seeing lots of nice reels, part of the problem is getting to test one. I need to talk with someone fishing the crappie circuit to see what they are using.

I'm having a lot of fun right now stocking up on bluegill, I say stocking up but really all I'm doing is catching a few then eating them the next day.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Yeah, I have the same problem. Had you got the spinner. You should check out the Ned Rig. You'll get bass, big crappie and blue gill.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
aftahour

I think there's a crappie reel that looks like a round bait caster. B&m or uncle buck. Cabeles or bass pro has them
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
Harry Hill

Thanks, my Bass Pro didn't have any and the "expert" behind the counter said it wouldn't work if they did have one and they rarely got them in and they sold as fast as they got them. Before I buy one online I would like to give one a try or at least handle one. For some reason it doesn't sound logical that a reel that wouldn't work would sell so fast but what do I know.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
goldenglory18

It's more in the stick than the reel when talking about 1/8oz or weightless.

Freshwater only, if you can find a Daiwa Pixy around somewhere buy it. You wont regret it. For salt/freshwater, Daiwa Tatula HD.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
skrilla

Finesse is where the $300+ low profiles shine. Daiwa Steez is a favorite of mine. But at that price point I stick to multiple spinners.