Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Denis_Ruso

Campo La Poma 4/2-4/7/19 Baja, MX

Got back from SDRob’s place in Campo La Poma yesterday.

Road Conditions are not too bad. Crews are working on the roads with heavy equipment and looks like progress is being made on restoring the road.

Only one detour was really rough on the drive back. Got to the border around 8 and crossed over by 9:30. Race going on in San Felipe added to the traffic.

Scored on weather and at the same time didn’t. Temperature was very pleasant mid to high 70s in the day and low 60s or high 50s at bight. However the wind kept us off the water most of the trip which also kept the bugs at bay. Stars were amazing at night due to the new moon.

Fishing: Got two half days of kayak fishing due to wind and having to pack. Inshore water was green, sargassum kelp has taken over the inshore reefs and the fish seem to have disappeared. 3 of us fished north reef from camp for nothing morning to noon. Not even a triggerfish nibble. Shorefished later again for not even a bite. Dove inshore and saw almost no fish inshore. Kept it short, water was cold.

Saturday: Weather flattened and I took my girl out for her first offshore kayak experience. Think we covered about 6 miles, she did great. Checked Punta Bufeo for nothing. Then dropped on a rock-pile in 30 ft for some bay-bass so I could prove to her that there were fish in Baja. Released a dozen bass. Weather being sheet glass and being our last day decided take her half way to the island to check for sierra and yellowtail on the high spot.

Get to the spot to find pelicans and terns working the area. NOTE: when birds are moving and diving they are generally following a school of game fish chasing bait. This was happening for the next 3 hours.

We pulled 6 yellowtail 2-10 lb and 4 sierra 3-5lb over the next 3 hours. 100-120g colt-snipers worked like yoyo irons worked. Cast let drop to the bottom and fast retrieve. Bites happened 2 cranks off the bottom in 60-90 ft.

More yellowtail tips when fishing baja: You probably cant swim a jig faster than a yellow can swim. Turn and burn that jig off the bottom. Secondly, sierra and triggers will usually bite the jig on the drop, don’t set the hook on the drop. Let it get to the bottom when yellows are around. Yellows will most likely pick the jig up and start running with it if they hit it on the drop. The triggerfish bites also get the yellows competitive over the jig. So let it drop past the pests and the reel as fast as you can. Repeat.

Landed 4 yellows and 2 sierra basically every other cast was a yellow. Spent a lot of time gaffing and teaching my girl how to fight a yellow otherwise the tally would have been higher. She caught 2 yellows 2 lbs and 5lbs, plus 2 5 lb sierras. Now she wants a hobie.
Attached Images

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 04-10-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
SoCalEDC

sounds like a great trip. nice fish, and thanks for the tips!
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Baja dreamin.....someday I will take my lady down there.......and then likely never get to go with out her again
Thanks for sharing the trip!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
kurt

Looks like a blast. Thanks for the report.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
goldenglory18

Hell yes dude, glad to see the new sled is getting stinky. Congrats on getting the Mrs hooked.

I really have to make the trek down there some day....

Last edited by goldenglory18; 04-11-2019 at 08:30 AM.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Hell yes dude, glad to see the new sled is getting skinky. Congrats on getting the Mrs hooked.

I really have to make the trek down there some day....
Let's Plan for Thanksgiving

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Good times as always. It's too bad we didn't make it out to the Island but I'm glad you found the fish.

Im considering doing it again for the 4th of July if you're interested. I may and try and do Wednesday - Sunday and stay at the island for a couple days in between.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
Good times as always. It's too bad we didn't make it out to the Island but I'm glad you found the fish.

Im considering doing it again for the 4th of July if you're interested. I may and try and do Wednesday - Sunday and stay at the island for a couple days in between.
Gbay on the 4th?? Sounds amazing I want to go!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
DanaPT

Wow, that's a trip.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #10
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post

Yea Buddy... I just found out I have Thursday and Friday off already. So this may be in the cards.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Gbay on the 4th?? Sounds amazing I want to go!
Yup. Lets do this!

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote