Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Orca Winfrey

Sounds like the consensus is that leashing yourself to your yak could cause the captain to go down with his ship. But isn't that what a true captain is supposed to do?
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Sounds like the consensus is that leashing yourself to your yak could cause the captain to go down with his ship. But isn't that what a true captain is supposed to do?
it's all replaceable stuff that you can find discounted on craigslist if your patient enough. Not worth going under over.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
it's all replaceable stuff that you can find discounted on craigslist if your patient enough. Not worth going under over.
Not worried about losing equipment . All my stuff is from CL, thrift stores, and pawn shops. Worried about me bobbing around in cold water waiting for rescue while drunk boaters zoom around.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
5-20

Just don't panic and let go of your paddle.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Socalkayak
Junior

Yes to the leash when needed. I was testing 50lbs trolling motor when I realized I fell it would keep going and going. Hince a leach ( rope) oh and a kill switch. Just keep a small 4 ft rope with clips and make sure to unclip if going in or out of surf that would not be good.
Socalkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
monstahfish

First thing, I never take my pfd off when in water over my head or solo. Second, I carry a personal locator beacon in my pfd pocket this way if I do get separated and the yak gets blown away I can call for help. I also carry a marine radio and try not to go alone. I've tied off a surf leash to the kayak and velcroed it to my ankle when going far offshore solo. Seems to me if I do fall off I have the opportunity to get back to the yak and if things go bad I can always pull off the velcro strap.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
octico

You can always hit this guy up for leashes.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=leash
octico is offline   Reply With Quote