Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
skunked
Jr. Junior

Info on Clear Lake (Lake County)?

Going up north to Clear Lake in late August. Any tips or suggestions on that lake or the area? Wondering if it's worth the hassle of bringing my Outfitter? Or rent kayaks or just fish from the shore? Thanks in advance. Steve
skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Now that I have my new OutbackI planned on making a trip to "the Delta" for stripers and a trip to Clear Lake for the big bass (Probably not until next spring). I couldn't tell you about August except it can get hot being part of the Central Valley. (Weather can be sketchy as it's on the west side of the Central Valley, which can be cooler at times) I drive by during the late spring & summer on my way to Fly fish "Hat"Creek" and glad to be doing so as the temps can get pretty hot (much hotter than you'd think for that far north!)
I don't know if they rent kayaks. The closest Kayak shop I know of is in Sacramento.
Are you going to be fishing bass? I can check with some of the bass tourney guys I know to see how it is in August, If you'd like. I hear the bass like big swimmies, check with tackle warehouse. Their located up that way and they have all sorts of bass stuff @ good prices.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 06-10-2013 at 11:07 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
jbaker

Check out NorCalKayakAnglers or NCKA.org there's lots of information about clear lake.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Baja_Traveler

I was going to hit Clear Lake on the way up here to Shasta, but there was a big bass tournament there last weekend, and I didn't want to be in the middle of it. August you say - I hope you are good with heat, I fished the delta on Saturday and it was 104*, then it started blowing hard and turned the area into a blast furnace. I bailed and headed to Shasta a day early, and as I made my way past Clear Lake it was 109*! I can't imagine what it would be like in August...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Pocoloco

I've yaked clear lake several times . The state park campgrounds are nice and fishing is good in that area. Well worth the trip. Plan on heat. Have fun catching big lmb.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
skunked
Jr. Junior

Thanks Y'all for your postings. I actually forgot about this posting...

I did more research on Clear Lake and yes, August isn't a good time to visit due to the heat and stinky algae. But it looks like a nice fishery and seems like a nice yakking lake in cooler weather. Not sure if it's worth the hassle of strapping the outfitter for the road trip, don't feel like sitting in a kayak when it's 120 out.

I also scoped out NCKA.org, nice suggestion jbaker.
skunked is offline   Reply With Quote