Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
ugly
Junior

Newport Harbor Newbie

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forums, and only a year or so into yak fishing. I don't typically fish within marinas but I am taking a friend out on saturday to newport harbor and he's not comfortable going outside.

I typically fish out of Dana Point and Long Beach, but have only fished newport between the piers (trying for halibut), and have only noticed a ton of eel grass within the harbor (although i haven't seen much of it since i launch close to the exit) and was curious if halibut/bottom trolling is productive further into the harbor? I plan on using live bait primarily but again, worried about getting tied up in eel grass, and end up giving my friend a bad 'first trip out' by staying in the harbor.

I wouldn't typically ask for people's hot spots, but if anyone can give me suggestions (PMs if you'd prefer) on where its possible to land legal halibut within the harbor it'd be much appreciated. And if that's not really possible, anywhere in the harbor its possible to get lots of hits.

Thanks in advance for helping the new guy out.

Sean
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Sounds like a trip to Cabrillo beach is in order. You and your friend will find Cabrillo to be well suited to your fishing needs. Ease of parking and launching, availability of bait, close proximity to the fishing grounds, flat water and a decent shot at a legal halibut if not a real trophy. Just be careful of the afternoon winds that start up before noon and really start to crank up past noon. If you guys aren't experienced paddlers, you might have a problem getting back.

Good luck out there.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
ugly
Junior

sounds awesome, ive only fished long beach coming from the other end of the breakwall, it does sound like a better option all around.

would anyone mind sharing with me (PM) where you typically park/launch?
I'm pretty sure i know where the baitbarge is out there, but if you could clue me in on where it and the 'fishing grounds' are, id really appreciate it. other than the outside of the break wall, this area would be brand new to me
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
skunked
Jr. Junior

I've only kayaked NB and Dana Point. Cabrillo sounds good, I'm not familiar with that area, where would you launch from Cabrillo?
skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
skunked
Jr. Junior

Sean, in NB, you can launch by the Coast Guard station (off Bayside) and park there if spCes or on street. I typically fish around the bait barge, docks and moorings. I use plastics and not live bait but live bait is very effective based on what I've seen.
skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked View Post
Sean, in NB, you can launch by the Coast Guard station (off Bayside) and park there if spCes or on street. I typically fish around the bait barge, docks and moorings. I use plastics and not live bait but live bait is very effective based on what I've seen.
I agree!! I've picked up a legal butt, just south of the barge on plastic, then went out the following week using only plastics and got more grass than anything, while I saw people catching fish on live anchovies. Saw a guy just north of the barge get a 32" butt on live anchovies that day. I got some of those paddlerz with weedless hooks after seeing Landwhales reports. I figure next time I'm in NPH, I'll make or buy bait, drift for halibut and fish the eel grass with the new plastics for spotties.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked View Post
I've only kayaked NB and Dana Point. Cabrillo sounds good, I'm not familiar with that area, where would you launch from Cabrillo?
I've only done it once, and launched from the beach closest to the kelp. I might head back to Cabrillo soon. Good shallow water rockfish and calico bass. I just parked at the top of the hill on the street and wheeled down to the beach. That day I stayed past noon and deeply regret ed it, the afternoon winds made it extremely hard to get back.