Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
baileybikes

Yaking LJ

Hi all,

This is my first post on kayak fishing so "bare" with me. I went all in on a tandem island with livewell and ff for my son and me.

I am loving it and can't get enough. I have been struggling with my pole placement on the yak and in life, but let's focus on the yak here. I don't have a lot of time to design and build custom stuff (ironically i am too busy engineering for my day job).

Currently I am using the Railblaza mounts on the AKA with a 5 inch extension but I am always struggling to get the pole out (of the rod holder). I am considering a direct mount to the hull near my seats but wanted to get some opinions and other solutions you folks have found before I start drilling into my hull.
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Why not just throw some rocket launcher extensions into your flush mounts behind the seat and call it good?

https://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com...lder-extension
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
baileybikes

I like that idea but I was hoping to keep them in my visual so I am watching where i am going.

I will probably get those though...
Old 09-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
FISH11

I use Scotty Rocket Launchers with the friction disc additions for endless adjustment to the angle instead of the built in notches. I use the flush deck mount models on my Hobie Revo 13 and use the same on my Malibu X Factor using different mount on the deck. The Scotty mount can let you aim the launcher in any direction or raised angle you prefer. I had Ram ball mount launchers on a Jackson Cuda 14 and they could never hold their position no matter how hard I could righten them. The rocket launcher are super easy to lift the rod out of. Here are some picture I found that show the locations on both kayak to give you an idea of area close to you. I prefer the deck flush base model. I used the above surface base on the Malibu because I already had those and didn't want to spend any extra $.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6730.jpg (31.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Frame-07-04-2018-08-31-43.jpg (43.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5223.jpg (46.8 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 09-07-2019 at 08:59 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
baileybikes

Exactly what I need.

Do you put something inside the hull to strengthen the connection? I could imagine a big hit off of that Yellowtail while sailing at 10 knots could cause some damage if the holders are not securely mounted.

Beautiful fish. I have yet to catch a YT - Displaced Seattle-ite Salmon guy but I am learning the ways of SoCal.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
summers in kuwait

I have a Revo 16 that I sail. I chose to mount two flush mounts up by the sail mast and two flush mounts near the rudder pull lines.

I really like this placement and it allows for a lot of customizing. You may not have room with the AI or it may interfere with the sail. Before drilling place the mounts and rod holders and test clearance from all rudder lines, main sheet line, etc.

I mainly use the scotty rodmaster II, but have a couple rocket launchers as well.

With regards to backing plates, scotty makes a backing plate that fits the flush mount down stem. You can also take plastic cutting board and cut with a saw to fit. I would suggest the backing plate and quality hardware, plus marine grade sealant. Also, use caution when drilling and with the length of the hardware, you do not want to damage the internal rudder lines. Also, make sure you can get your hand, hardware and tools in the hull before drilling

You might be able to see in the video my placements of these rod holders.

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
FISH11

I did not use the backing plates made by Scotty. I installed the flush bases using stainless steel bolts with washers and nuts on the inside, Have never had any issue with the mounts or bases. Even with large Yellows pulling on the rod or worse when you hook onto kelp while trolling and it feels like the kayak is going to get rolled. Luckily I have always been able to reach the reel and put it into free spool when that happened. The locations I used were because I wanted to have the rods in arms reach and still have space for paddling. The Yellow on the Revo was a catch and release, the one between my legs on the Malibu X Factor was donated to Heroes on the Water for one of the events fish taco lunch. Today I had one on the way back in after fishing for 8 hours and catching 5 Calicos (they were crashing bait on the surface, all were released) trolling macs all day, feeding the seals and ended up loosing it while fighting to get it out of the kelp in 49'. Had the fluorocarbon leader break right at the knot to the hooks, AGAIN. Same thing happened a couple months ago. That is just one of the risks when trying in shallow water with heavy kelp.

Last edited by FISH11; 09-05-2019 at 05:37 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote