Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

my first LJ baptism

I launch at about 2am after a full day of work. Was exhausted to begin with and after a full night of uneventful fishing iwas toast. The surf was up coming back in and I sat outside the line trying to time things. Thought I saw my window and went for it. Nose dive. Couple lessions learned yesterday. Your phone is not safe in your pfd without awaterproof case. Flushmounts are not a good place to store rods on the way in unless you want them busted off in a roll. Neoprene waders SUCK when they Are full of water.

Anyways if a couple rods come up I'm missing a shimano talus with a sealine 30 and a saber stroker with a sealine 40x. My number is 661 600 2653. Thanks

Also it was nice meeting a bunch of you yesterday. Jim, chuck, Greg. And everyone else that helped me clean up after the yard sale.....

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

getting rolled in the dark is NO FUN!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Sucks to hear William.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Grunt31

That sucks, only thing I lost at LJ on a roll out was my triple rod holder... But somehow still had all the rods which I rigged a last second bungee cord to "leash" them since I forgot my actual leashes in the truck... And my rule of thumb- this is Sunny SoCal where the sun is always shining.... ALWAYS! So rock
The cargos or the board shorts.... ALWAYS....
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Raskal311

I ate it on the way in on Saturday in Santa Barbara my first time flipping the PA manage to not loose a single item. A four foot wave hit me in the rear....
Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
gunghosd
Let's Do This!

What do you guys think about getting slips for our yaks at the cove? This would never happen if we had our own dock with bar&grill!! haha

finbomb.com

Don't hate me, Just my humble opinion
Tight lines my fishing brothers
gunghosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunghosd View Post
What do you guys think about getting slips for our yaks at the cove? This would never happen if we had our own dock with bar&grill!! haha
I'm in!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I ate it on the way in on Saturday in Santa Barbara my first time flipping the PA manage to not loose a single item. A four foot wave hit me in the rear....
Where were you landing in Santa Barbara that the waves were that big? I usually launch from Ledbetter or the harbor comfortably, but it's always difficult to find surf in Santa Barbara

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Where were you landing in Santa Barbara that the waves were that big? I usually launch from Ledbetter or the harbor comfortably, but it's always difficult to find surf in Santa Barbara

I was actually camping at carpinteria just south of SB. On the way out the it was 2-3 footers and on the way in it was about the same but one extra big one hit me from the rear and dam nearly flipped me the long way.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Yeah, camping there was my first ever kayak fishing experience and I got rocked! They get decent waves through there that occasionally are spaced close

WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Dannowar

What time did you come in? I saw someone eat it when I was packing up. Looked heavy
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
bluesquids

Good meeting you too Will. I told that freedive class to keep an eye out on the way in like I Said I would. Don't feel bad Lots of yardsales. One guy was his first time, I was giving pointers too, how to bust out and land. I was routing for him, just about made it out...mistake was he had his feet over the side. Props dude for getting back on and escaping the impact zone.
Then 1/2 mile out.. Hobie peddle tandem with one guy in the water, completely filled with water...pumped them out.
Thought I'd get a karma fish for sure, but I didn't.
Pete
Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
TCS

Sounds like a rod and reel a snorkeler found on Sunday late morning. Said he was going to leave it at the lifeguard tower. I'm sure you can call them in the phone tomorrow.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Sounds like a rod and reel a snorkeler found on Sunday late morning. Said he was going to leave it at the lifeguard tower. I'm sure you can call them in the phone tomorrow.
Yeah, as a matter of fact the guy that found the rod was asking around if anybody owned it....i do remember that he said he was going to drop it off at the lifeguard station.

Lots of rods went into the drink sunday...you wernt the only one.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #15
GregAndrew

Will, a guy recovered your rod and was walking up the beach looking for the owner. I think someone mentioned bwe to him. I paddled up to bluesquids to offer my pump, but he had already just about pumped out the tandem. A father lost his sons rod in the surf when he dumped his PA. Tony and i helped them look for a while with no luck. Tony was already wet from the landing, and i got wet in the surf looking for the rod. Got water under my paddle jacket then over my waders. The landing was entertaining on Sun , that is for sure. I would post under fish reports if i had any to report.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #16
Chuck D

Nice to meet you William, glad I could get you a few things back. Will work on returning your Hat in the future. Greg, I though that was you out there Big rollers Sun, no sashimi for me.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunghosd View Post
That would be a very busy slip, the bar and grill would love it. Sounds good to me. Split the cost among the number of yak fisherman would be a minor cost. Also, far fewer lost gear, which appears to be a major expense going out of LJ.

My $0.02 anyway
Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
What time did you come in? I saw someone eat it when I was packing up. Looked heavy
I'm guessing some time around 8 or 9? My phone got destroyed in the roll so I had no way of knowing

Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
Deamon

Finally got to meet you Novot. You told me it was a yard sale but I didn't know it was THE yard sale. Bummer. I got lucky with my maiden ride in on the PA. There was def a nice set showing up on us Sunday. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #20
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Yeah, as a matter of fact the guy that found the rod was asking around if anybody owned it....i do remember that he said he was going to drop it off at the lifeguard station.

Lots of rods went into the drink sunday...you wernt the only one.
Unfortunately the lifegaurd tower didn't received any of my items. Hope the guy finds this site ok. On another note if anyone has a cheap yellowtail setup I can buy hot me up. I still have jig stick for slinging irons. Need a bait setup.