Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Your turn

Stitches be GONE
by Makobob
Finally this afternoon the Doctor took out the stitches. All 41 of them. The stitches are gone,
time to heal and shrink the stump. Today FRIDAY afternoon Amazon deliverd an "i Walk 2.0"
to me. It is a hands off crutch and I will start learning to walk again with it this weekend.

That way by the time my temp prostetic arrives around the middle of next month I will already
be mobile. I hear a friend calling. Baja here I come, no grass growing under these feet. Corvina
and yellowtail in Gonzaga along with the cabrilla RIGHT NOW.

Spring winds coming and lots of fish with them. Time to get the planning done, get ready for that
next trip. And now the down side. Yes there is a down side. And I hate to sea it. But I will TELL
you about it.

The down side is apathy, NO not mine but YOURS. I have, am and always will live MY life to its
fullest. YOU on the other hand, might NOT be up to speed YET. I hope to turn that around for you.

YOU work too hard and play too soft, that is just not right. September and October are soon to be
here. Plan a vacation NOW for THEN. You OWE it to yourself, your family and even your boss. I
hear it now, I can't afford it. But you can if you keep the costs down.

Put aside $25 per week, thats $100 a month. Do it until October and you have $750 in the kitty if
you start this TODAY. That is enough to spend 2-3 WEEKS in camp mako-ville and that includes
your gas both ways. And it costs even less if you travel with a buddy and split fuel costs.

Mako-ville is NOT the only place you can get this type of value. Other locations work as well, plan
it out. Make it work for you and your family. Recharge those batteries and come back ready to rule
the world. YOU can do it. Live your life. I will be 70 in June, be like me and Rossman. Live your
life to it's fullest. Do NOT just exist. Live. Tight Lines amigos. The stitches are gone.

Day before they took my foot.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Stitches be GONE....
Heal well. On thing about kayaking is that you can do it without a foot to an extent. A while back I tore up my calf muscle hill climbing on a 750 dual sport. I couldn't ride in the dirt for a while but I could still kayak.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Bob, I know the healing will be easy for someone as positive as yourself. See you in Baja towards the end of May and October again. If there is anyone I know who lives life to the fullest, it is MakoBob. I aspire to continue living my life and to not be a bubble boy.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Heal well. On thing about kayaking is that you can do it without a foot to an extent. A while back I tore up my calf muscle hill climbing on a 750 dual sport. I couldn't ride in the dirt for a while but I could still kayak.
True the Hobie compass paddles well. Tight Lines amigo. I might even be in Baja before you.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Bob, I know the healing will be easy for someone as positive as yourself. See you in Baja towards the end of May and October again. If there is anyone I know who lives life to the fullest, it is MakoBob. I aspire to continue living my life and to not be a bubble boy.
Thanks Brandon, weight down to 155, that is what I weighed in 11th grade. We will meet up in mako-ville in May, Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Bigal
Junior

April 2017, Near Makoville

Hey Bob, I hope that your recovery is swift. Though I have not met you, I know that you kick butt. I have done a couple of HOW events, and I also went down to Gonzaga twice last year.You have a great rep in both communities.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share a few pics from my first trip to your favorite area of Baja. Fished Gonzaga last April for 5 days during Spring Break with my buddy and caught more small yellows off our yaks in 3 days than we had caught off the yaks in all previous years combined. We were lucky and had almost no wind for the entire trip. We also caught an insane number of sierra along with cabrilla, triggers, hogfish and bonefish. Super fun! We camped on the beach for a few days at El Faro. We also spent a night at Playa Grande and a night on the porch of a couple of guys we met on the water. Tranquilo...

Did a similar trip with one of my sons and a nephew. Holy guacamole! Hottest trip ever. It was 118 in the desert and 99 when we reached camp at 10pm. We only lasted two nights. The fishing might have been good, but we spent more time in the water trying to cool off than fishing.

Next week, I am headed down again to the Bahia with my buddy and maybe a friend who I met bluefin fishing this year. Hope that you are breaking in that "i walk 2.0" right now!

BTW- I saw that killer skiff waiting for you at OEX about a month ago... I think that I might also have a pic of it, if you haven't had time to grab it yet. Sweet looking ride!

Oops.. I will figure out the sideways pics another time.

Attachment 23187

Attachment 23188

Attachment 23189

Attachment 23190
Bigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal View Post
Hey Bob, I hope that your recovery is swift. Though I have not met you, I know that you kick butt. I have done a couple of HOW events, and I also went down to Gonzaga twice last year.You have a great rep in both communities.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share a few pics from my first trip to your favorite area of Baja. Fished Gonzaga last April for 5 days during Spring Break with my buddy and caught more small yellows off our yaks in 3 days than we had caught off the yaks in all previous years combined. We were lucky and had almost no wind for the entire trip. We also caught an insane number of sierra along with cabrilla, triggers, hogfish and bonefish. Super fun! We camped on the beach for a few days at El Faro. We also spent a night at Playa Grande and a night on the porch of a couple of guys we met on the water. Tranquilo...

Did a similar trip with one of my sons and a nephew. Holy guacamole! Hottest trip ever. It was 118 in the desert and 99 when we reached camp at 10pm. We only lasted two nights. The fishing might have been good, but we spent more time in the water trying to cool off than fishing.

Next week, I am headed down again to the Bahia with my buddy and maybe a friend who I met bluefin fishing this year. Hope that you are breaking in that "i walk 2.0" right now!

BTW- I saw that killer skiff waiting for you at OEX about a month ago... I think that I might also have a pic of it, if you haven't had time to grab it yet. Sweet looking ride!

Oops.. I will figure out the sideways pics another time.

Attachment 23187

Attachment 23188

Attachment 23189

Attachment 23190

Pictures did not post. But you are right Gonzaga has been great fishing the last few years. The Roosterfish have been AWESOME in Sept and Oct. Cabrilla, corvina also. Tight Lines amigo, hope to sea you in paradise this year.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Bigal, yes the solo skiff came out GREAT, now there will be two in Gonzaga and that makes life easier for the other yakers as one sold can get two yakers to the island from our beach in under a half hour.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
True the Hobie compass paddles well. Tight Lines amigo. I might even be in Baja before you.
When I was hurt I found the Mini-x was my go to yak. Small light easy to move around. I'd take a minimal of gear and just fish short trips from easy launches. Doctors might disagree but for me there was nothing more therapeutic then getting a little exercise putzing around in a kayak.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
When I was hurt I found the Mini-x was my go to yak. Small light easy to move around. I'd take a minimal of gear and just fish short trips from easy launches. Doctors might disagree but for me there was nothing more therapeutic then getting a little exercise putzing around in a kayak.
If the doctors disagreed they were WRONG. Mother Oceans love is always best for us Children of the Tides. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #11
Bigal
Junior

Some pics attached now

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

Last edited by Bigal; 03-17-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Bigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #12
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I'll just push...

The like button happy healing Bob
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Update

My prostetic will not be here for atleast a MONTH. But TOMORROW I will take my first steps back toward Baja. Time to put on and learn to use the
iwalk2.0 Without walking or being able to get in my Dodge ram 2500 I am stranded here so those will be my first two major obsticles on my road back to Baja. Sea you guys soon, tight lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN