Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
BenCantrell

meet up with dniss, first time on SD Bay

I got out yesterday with dniss. I started out in MB solo, because there are fewer boats there that have the potential to run me over, but once Dave showed up we moved over to SD Bay. My goal was to catch a new species for my lifelist.

Artificials caught spotted bass, as expected.

We pumped some ghost shrimp at Liberty Station in hopes of catching more diversity. I caught more spotted bass (5 total) and one calico.

We headed out to an open part of SD Bay and things got pretty wild. Boats going every which way, a few going faster than they should, and a select few who I swore tried to buzz extra close to us just for kicks. There seemed to be a correlation with how expensive the boat was.

Dave caught a fish that I haven't encountered, a fantail sole.

I didn't get anything out in the open, and pretty soon we were tired of dealing with the boat traffic so we went back to Liberty Station. As we were going under the bridges Dave caught another fish new to me, a specklefin midshipman. Ok now I was getting jealous!

I needed to get home, so I paddled back to the launch without stopping to fish. Dave took his time though, and while I was loading my gear in the car he texted me this photo. Lol, god damnit. That's three new species that I haven't caught!

Despite the agony of seeing all those cool fish but only catching bass, it was a great day. Nice to see SD Bay from a different perspective.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Too funny, I've only caught one midshipman and it was at that same spot. Thanks for the report and best of wishes in your hunt for new species.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Too funny, I've only caught one midshipman and it was at that same spot. Thanks for the report and best of wishes in your hunt for new species.
Now that is interesting! Two makes a pattern as far as I'm concerned. That little elbow has a pretty decent gravel & rock bottom, but the rest of the channel is mud. I bet they're spawning there this time of year.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
fourtogo

Bay fishing

Week end fishing is very sporty deal . Boat owners leave there brains at the dock most of time . They never think oh my puinny 1 1/2 wake is no big deal . There Kayaks right they should know they could get wet . It’s not wet part I am concerned about it morons that aren’t paying attention anything but girl friends butt . I have owned 3 boats always give wide birth while under power .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote