Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-05-2016, 04:56 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Favorite time of year

It has been hard to pinpoint my favorite time of year in Bahia Asuncion because every month offers such a variety of fishing options but mid September to November 1st certainly has moved to the top of my list. The combination of warm but not uncomfortable days and nights, very little wind that only freshens in the mid afternoon, and the abundance of big yellowtail, and tuna and wahoo in the area has made for some very interesting fishing in the last couple weeks. If you are on the fence about if and when to come down, come down now or make your plans for next year.

Yesterday was one of those outstanding yellowtail days. I managed to land 19 yellows between 7 am and 11 am. I could have easily broken the Svendawg's record of 21 but first of all I want Sven to be here when I break his record, and secondly, my arms were like noodles. Sven will readily admit that his 21 yellowtail day was a day of rats but yesterday was quite different. There were a few in the 8 to 17 pound range but I had 8 that were clearly over 25. Unlike last week when Druko and I found them in fairly shallow water and went something like 5 for 16 on hookups, yesterday's were in deeper water and I lost zero to rocks and only a couple came unbuttoned.

Not all good news unfortunately. A fellow full time gringo in Asuncion who was a free diving spearo, drowned while free diving last Thursday. I'll miss his insight into Southern Baja fishery. RIP Duke Brownfield.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
It has been hard to pinpoint my favorite time of year in Bahia Asuncion because every month offers such a variety of fishing options but mid September to November 1st certainly has moved to the top of my list. The combination of warm but not uncomfortable days and nights, very little wind that only freshens in the mid afternoon, and the abundance of big yellowtail, and tuna and wahoo in the area has made for some very interesting fishing in the last couple weeks. If you are on the fence about if and when to come down, come down now or make your plans for next year.

Yesterday was one of those outstanding yellowtail days. I managed to land 19 yellows between 7 am and 11 am. I could have easily broken the Svendawg's record of 21 but first of all I want Sven to be here when I break his record, and secondly, my arms were like noodles. Sven will readily admit that his 21 yellowtail day was a day of rats but yesterday was quite different. There were a few in the 8 to 17 pound range but I had 8 that were clearly over 25. Unlike last week when Druko and I found them in fairly shallow water and went something like 5 for 16 on hookups, yesterday's were in deeper water and I lost zero to rocks and only a couple came unbuttoned.

Not all good news unfortunately. A fellow full time gringo in Asuncion who was a free diving spearo, drowned while free diving last Thursday. I'll miss his insight into Southern Baja fishery. RIP Duke Brownfield.
RIP sounds like he was doing a lot of what he loved.

Excellent report.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
knightnsd

there are worse ways to go, hope I am as lucky to die hunting or fishing versus in a dirty diaper. RIP Duke

My neighbor found a guy face down in the Klamath river with a fly rod and salmon on the line years ago. Apparently died of a heart attack while catching the fish. Overall I would take it in comparison to other means of passing

Last edited by knightnsd; 10-05-2016 at 08:53 AM.
knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
joefish808

Rossman,

How far out and what depths are you fishing to land these fish?
It'll help me make a decision to make plans or not. Thank you sir.
joefish808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefish808 View Post
Rossman,

How far out and what depths are you fishing to land these fish?
It'll help me make a decision to make plans or not. Thank you sir.
Bout a mile from where I launched, 120 to 140 ft of water.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 10-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
Murray

Are you launching thru the surf? I have an ab strain that does not allow me to use core muscles so I have to take it real easy.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Are you launching thru the surf? I have an ab strain that does not allow me to use core muscles so I have to take it real easy.

There are about 5 launch spots in the area and at any given day a couple will be totally protected from the swell.
— Herman Melville

Old 10-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
The launch may not strain the abs, but I bet pulling on 19 yellowtail up to 40# definitely might work the old core muscles.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
smokie

Sounds amazing, I'm drooling over here. Living up in NorCal where we don't have any of those exotic species, I can only imagine how awesome it would be to live down there. 19 YT!! Thats freaking amazing in my book! Thanks for sharing your report.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
kurt

Sounds like a dream, catching that many yellowtail, no matter what the size. Sorry about your friend who passed. RIP.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

I know what you mean about favorite time of the year. Sept-November are my favorite times in baja for the same reasons.

I really want to go down there and visit for Thanksgiving. Is there any Baja or Bust trips set up to go down there this year?

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 10-05-2016 at 01:11 PM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
I know what you mean about favorite time of the year. Sept-November are my favorite times in baja for the same reasons.

I really want to go down there and visit for Thanksgiving. Is there any Baja or Bust trips set up to go down there this year?
Makobob has one put together for around Thanksgiving time. With his latest medical escapades he says he will be ready to go by then but Bob would never say anything different. Come on down any time Rob. Couple tanks of gas and you are here. I have an extra bedroom and plenty of space to set up cots or tents if multiple people come down.
— Herman Melville

Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Thanks Rossman! Will be in contact. I really want to make it down there...

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Do you know what caused your friend to drown? It sounds like he was experienced as a diver and familiar with your area.

I'm sorry to hear about his tragic accident and the loss of a friend

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-05-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #15
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Do you know what caused your friend to drown? It sounds like he was experienced as a diver and familiar with your area.

I'm sorry to hear about his tragic accident and the loss of a friend
Some debate about that. Coroner found some arterial blockage and felt it might have been a heart attack. In talking with the guy that recovered him and researching myself, it could have been a Shallow Water Blackout. He shot a pretty hefty yellow and it wrapped a rock in 60 ft. He surfaced and hyperventilated and went back down but didn't return. While he was 68 years old, he was the picture of health and seemed very well prepared for the long haul. Swam at least 3 miles a day when he didn't dive. Had the fat content of a piece of hardwood.
— Herman Melville

Old 10-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
kayakfisherman

Rossman,

So sorry to hear about your friend. Life has its twists and turns.

I think he was a lucky man to leave this life, charging... Hope he
gets to keep going.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
The launch may not strain the abs, but I bet pulling on 19 yellowtail up to 40# definitely might work the old core muscles.

Too funny but true. Think the combo of a black sea bass and a big swell 6 months ago wrecked me good. Guess I could target calicos and leave the yellows to the rest of you. Ha
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #18
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Rob, I am going down for Thanksgiving with Buddha and others. WE will fish with Rossman there and at Punta Quebrada and Punta Eugenia. This will be year 4 for this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote