Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
Baja_Traveler

Trip to Makoville

Just got back from Gonzaga yesterday - short, but awesome trip.

Got to Camp at noon on Saturday to pretty decent conditions.

Tempted to go out, but instead cleaned up camp and got settled...

Got my sleeping arrangements squared away, and set up the Solo Skiff for fishing fun...

Sunday woke up to massive wind and huge waves. Nobody was going to fish that day, so we made good use of the time by completing the solar system for the place and getting solar panels mounted and adjusted. Now the camp has plenty of power for freezers, radio charging and vacuum sealing.
Monday the weather was just a slight breeze with light chop, so I head out to the island 5 miles distant at sunrise...

Fishing was fun, threw a flatfall at a boiler rock for awhile, until I got distracted with the outboard tiller and let it fall too far into the rocks and lost it. Tied on a Rapala X-Rap and started getting hammered by the Triggers. Because of the single hooks, only the bigger ones managed to get hooked...

Trolled around for awhile in the lee of the island where the water was flat calm and really enjoyed the scenery...

Just south of that picture is a rock outcropping that was teaming with Sierra and started having fun with them, Just kept two to bring home...

Thought about heading over to La Poma island in back of Isla San Luis, but I had been out there nearly 4 hours and had not seen any other boats, and I did not want to head back there out of radio range all alone. Wondering where the heck everybody was, and since it was my turn to cook dinner for the group, I came in early to find this.

The quad was completely dug in and high centered. Helped get Sivak's skiff launched, and while I was prepping the smoker for ribs, he and Mako Bob were on the back side of that island hammering the roosterfish. They counted more than 50 of them swimming under their skiff and managed to land a few. If launching the skiff was a cluster, landing it was a fiasco. Quad got stuck again trying to pull the skiff and trailer out. Before we could get Dave's truck down there to rescue everything the waves crashing over the transom flooded the boat. No pictures of that since it was all hands on deck to get it out.
Dinner was awesome, dark nights under the stars counting satellites, awesome. I was so bummed to wake up on Tuesday morning to flat glass conditions and I had to go home because of work today. Already figuring out when I can get back to paradise...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Nice Report, nice scenery, Thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Thanks for the write up. I'm missing it already...

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

That sierra looks amazing!

Cool hammock posts.

Even cooler to hear about the solar panels!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
smokie

Looks amazing. Definitely on my bucket list to kayak fish someday!

Thanks for the pics!
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
farreola

Had that happened to me on the quad, had to much air in the tires.
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Dannowar

always nice having you guys at camp. ribs were bomb!!
Old 10-21-2017, 01:28 AM   #8
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Just got back from a quick trip to Makoville last night. Abundant roosters on the beach and at the Island. Not too many biters but lots of eyeball fish. Looks like a blow for the week end so I split a bit early only to find it blowing here in Asuncion also.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #9
goldenglory18

I've (poorly) searched for where this place actually is. Can someone send me an addy/gps coordinates? I'd like to google maps it out of curiosity/hopes I can get down there some time next year.

Thanks for sharing these experiences. It gives this now-back-in-school/workaholic hopes of an amazing time.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
I've (poorly) searched for where this place actually is. Can someone send me an addy/gps coordinates? I'd like to google maps it out of curiosity/hopes I can get down there some time next year.

Thanks for sharing these experiences. It gives this now-back-in-school/workaholic hopes of an amazing time.
Camps about 2 hours directly south of San Felipe right on the water.. About 10 minutes due north of Gonzaga Bay.. Do yourself a favor,, stop talking about it and get out there.. you won't regret it.. Bobs a good host too just make sure not to take advantage and always pitch in where possible..

Tight Lines

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post

Go HERE

It is centered on Makoville - and at the same time lets you in on my secret app for wind prediction. Zoom out and scan around to see the wind forecast anywhere...

Looks like there will be a blow in Makoville on Monday.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
goldenglory18

That's awesome, thank you!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote