Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Silentskorn
Junior

Reel Recommendations?

I am going to be taking a camping trip over the weekend and am considering a new reel to go along with my 7'0 ML Tiger Ugly Stik. I don't normally fish out of my kayak but I really want to start. I'm definitely looking to go "lighter" tackle, I'm planning on using 20 lb line. I would preferably want a levelwind reel too. My price range is up to $100, $120 at the max. I would be using it for various fish in the bay; rockfish and maybe halibut. If anyone has some recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.
Silentskorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Randy214
Junior

There are not many quality reels in that price range.

For a level wind, you can look at the Okuma Solterra slr-15.

If you can get away from the level wind, my top pick for a cheap kayak reel is the shimano TLD-15 with a Carbontex drag washer.
Randy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Silentskorn
Junior

Yeah I figured you get what you pay for when it comes to nice reels. I am just starting so I don't want to spend a small fortune on my budget. Both of those reels seem nice for what I intend to use them for. I had seen the Shimano TLD-15 before and would still be willing to buy it even if it doesn't have a levelwind. The level wind is preferable but not a deal breaker. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
roadx

shimano charter special 1000
great size reel with levelwind and lever drag
one-piece graphite/titanium frames

33 pounds drag should be plenty, i loved this reel! cheap too!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

look into a used abu revo inshore. 25#s of drag and cast like dream. usually can be found for $120-150. Well worth the extra cash, if your ever down here Pm me if you want to try one out.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
October
Fish Whisperer

i got a Daiwa Sealine x30SHA (newest model) for 130. Thats a great reel for ten dollars more than your budget
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Silentskorn
Junior

Thanks for the all the recommendations. I think I'm leaning towards the Shimano Charter Special. I'm also curious to your opinions about line test. Originally I was going to use 20 lb spectra. But I am not sure if that's what I should be using or not. I am interested in using spectra but should I use a heavier test? The charter special says the power pro ratio should be: 40/410, 50/405, 65/390. Would it matter if I only used 300 yds of 20 lb spectra? or is that just not enough. (When it comes to ocean fishing I am a total rookie). I am only going to be doing in-shore fishing out of my kayak. It won't be that deep out there. Or should I just go ahead and get 300 yds of 40? Once again any tips/information is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
October
Fish Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentskorn View Post
Thanks for the all the recommendations. I think I'm leaning towards the Shimano Charter Special. I'm also curious to your opinions about line test. Originally I was going to use 20 lb spectra. But I am not sure if that's what I should be using or not. I am interested in using spectra but should I use a heavier test? The charter special says the power pro ratio should be: 40/410, 50/405, 65/390. Would it matter if I only used 300 yds of 20 lb spectra? or is that just not enough. (When it comes to ocean fishing I am a total rookie). I am only going to be doing in-shore fishing out of my kayak. It won't be that deep out there. Or should I just go ahead and get 300 yds of 40? Once again any tips/information is greatly appreciated.
what are you fishing for? Your best bet is to get 65lb specta and then just top shot it with whatever the application is going to be. Fishing calicos? Top shot the spectra with 20lb mono. Wanna switch for some Yellow tail? Top shot the spectra with 40lb fluorocarbon. This way, no matter what, you have maximum line strength and flexibility to catch various species.

learn to tie a good uni to uni. I got my knot down to where, the other day, I got snagged and I pulled my 40lb spectra to 20lb mono top shot and the hook bent released and the knot held up.

EDIT: my bad, i just read "In the bay". 30-40lb spectra in the bay is good. And then just put on 12-15lb mono. (nothing in the bay is really gonna be big enough break that)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Silentskorn
Junior

Great, thank you October, I think I'll go with the 30 lb. I will definitely keep in mind the other information for the future when I graduate from a rookie haha.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Why go that big for fishing in the bay? I'd look at the Shimano Cardiff in 300 or 400 size. I use a 300 with 40# Power Pro and a 17# top shot. Plenty of line with that setup and not too big a reel either.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
October
Fish Whisperer

I just sold a calcutta 200GTB for 140 bucks in Mint condition. That would be a perfect bay reel too.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Silentskorn
Junior

I'm thinking a slightly bigger reel would give me more flexibility in what/where I wanted to fish in the future. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
roadx

all the reels suggested are good suggestions

i would go with 65 spectra no matter which reel you select and use a leader sized to what your targeting.

the charter special is not as big as what it looks in the picture and would make a good match with the ugly stik but is over kill for the bay, great for the other applications

Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Silentskorn
Junior

I ended up getting the Charter Special. Size wise it's about exactly what I wanted. I greatly appreciate everyone's input. I think I'll be on this forum for a long time. The people are awesome and there is so much information that will help me in the future.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
October
Fish Whisperer

I have been a forum guru of all types for the last 12 years and this, by far, is the nicest and most helpful.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Silentskorn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
I have been a forum guru of all types for the last 12 years and this, by far, is the nicest and most helpful.
I am not usually a forum person. There are just too many negative people on some. I actually live in Sacramento and take a week every year to go to Bodega Bay, CA. I know this forum is more geared toward those in SoCal but as I was reading I just absolutely thought this one was the best. There's so many people willing to help others.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
DanaPT

did someone say cardiff.. .

I have a 401a (Lefty) I wouldn't mind parting with. I'll post it in the FS section next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120805_153333.jpg (36.8 KB, 87 views)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote