Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

San Quintin Report/Father and Son

(Sorry Not Kayak Related)

Hey guys I just got back from San Quintin with my dad and cousin and decided to post this here since some of you guys are planning on the Mothership trip to San Martin Island in San Quintin. Im new to SQ this was my 2nd time but here was my experience. We ended up going off shore looking for Tuna but couldn't get away from the firecracker yellows, we each kept 1 and limited out on bottom fish for my moms b-day over the weekend.

Here it is:

Video Report

San Quintin Fish Report

After a quick stop at Squidco here in the states we left from San Diego at around 1pm heading straight to San Quintin. The ride went well and we took our time and enjoyed the scenic route heading south down the 1. I asked my dad and our cousin to join me on this Baja adventure, as it would be a great Father and Son Family trip.

My dad whom just retired was a bit hesitant to go as he hasn’t been to Mexico in over a decade and sort of worried as of all the negative publicity but I convinced him I have been fishing down in Mexico a few times in the past couple years and I told him I wouldn’t invite him if I didn’t feel it was safe.

Arrived at sunset and was greeted by Tony the owner of “Don Eddie’s.” Tony welcomed us in and set us up with a nice clean room. We settled in and headed to his restaurant/bar. Tony, making us feel very welcome let my pops know that we were in for a good time! We had an awesome shrimp and fish dinner and some drinks and met up with our captain who kindly met us there to go over the game plan for the next day.

At the Launch at 6am Captain Juan from San Quintin was ready to go! Bait was a little tough to make at first but Juan new the spots and as the anxiety built up so did our tank full of macs ready to be devoured.

We headed straight to the 240 trolling through the high spots in search for kelp paddy’s hopefully holding the right kind Before you knew it we had a double hookup as me and my dad reel in two firecracker yellows. (My dads first yellowtail ever) At this point I’m pumped! We kept trolling and kept hooking up. Triple’s, doubles, singles Juan can’t miss. All the same cookie cutter size 7-12lbs we keep a few for dinner and search for another paddy in hopes for a larger grade.

Hit 3 or 4 other paddies and it’s the same thing. We couldn’t get away from them! Not a bad problem to have I guess when your fishing! We decide to switch it up through Irons blue and white salas jr and the scrambled egg. The scrambled egg seemed to be the color that worked the best! I don’t remember hooking up on the blue and white once.

We hit paddy after paddy and they were all holding just yellows. In hopes for some straggler tuna that had recently been caught we continue searching.

We traveled and searched high and low trolled, threw more irons, flylined bait and kept hooking up yellowtail after yellowtail until we decide to leave the fish biting.

We decided to search for some bottom fish for some fresh taco meat and started working our way in. I had brought some San Pedro Squid with me Carl brought from Squidco and we were on our way. We saw plenty of boils and birds diving and lots of life outside of the bay. Juan took us to another one of his spots and before we knew it we were hitting decent size reds and chocolates one after another. Carl pulls up 1 nice size ling and is stoked! We easily made limits in about an hour and headed back to the barn once again leaving the fish biting.

After we got our fish fileted, sealed and vacuum packed and packed on ice we cleaned up and headed to Tony’s restaurant. We took our fresh caught Reds to Jose our waiter and he had the chief make us a fish taco platter. Wow it doesn’t get any better than this. Fresh Fish Tacos, Rice and Beans and all the trimmings with a cold Dos XX’s to wash it down with. At this point I’m living the Good Life with family and am fully satisfied. Easy trip home no problems crossing. Now back to reality!

Thank you Captain Juan and Tony for providing a lifetime memory! Great Times, Great Fishing and Living the Good Life for a Fresh2Death Experience!
Attached Images

Last edited by SDROB; 10-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
rpd

great video with great song choice!!!
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I'm thinking of doing something like this with my father-in-law. Sweet report!!

The making of a delicious fish taco - I like it.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
walrus

Fishin and eatin Baja style is hard to beat. I'm trying to convince all my brothers on a spring baja trip, you can bet I'll link them to this.

Great video and congrats on the fish.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Nic D

thanks for the report... looks like you guys had a great time.

Nic

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
I'm thinking of doing something like this with my father-in-law. Sweet report!!

The making of a delicious fish taco - I like it.
Thanks Roby! Im just trying to get on your level. Anyhow let me know if you need any information about this trip to plan with your father in law. I did a lot of research before I went and I can give you all the contact info, prices and information if you need. Tight Lines

Rob
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Thanks for the report about San Q. And the info on Tony.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san quintin