Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #41
momo fish

Somehow not surprised by response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
There's some WSB and squid beds off of Izor's . If you can paddle out there make squid and catch fish....you earned it!
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #42
momo fish

Thanks! Not sure what this area is but that's good info.

Squid out in Malibu does not seem to be happening and squid boats would come and spend a night and bail in morning. Seen them try a few different areas and when talking to them seems to be the same thing. Too small and very little right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I was on one of the beds yesterday and if you took away the 15 private boats, they are still very obvious. Keep an eye out for the Shearwaters which are sea birds about the size of a gull. They look very dark when flying but tan or brown sitting on the water. Gulls are also attracted to the beds but pelican's have very little interest in squid. Add a couple sea lions and you know you're in the right place. Hundreds of private boaters passed right over the spot that Greg found to get to another publicized spot. Greg is definitely the star here but time on the water is the secret.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #43
momo fish

One more comment about this topic since it came up. If you read the kayak forums up north it will be day and night difference. Everyone shares and more info seems to be shared with strangers. I posted something a while back under a different name when I made a trip up the coast and besides reading many helpful reports many offered to show me around and even lend me their kayaks so I didn't have to rent.

I have met great guys on here and always offer the same in return but seems most of the times you PM someone a question for tips and you get zero response. I know many feel the same as I do because I hear it everytime I meet a fellow BWE member but won't speak up as they would get flamed by a few more vocal responders. I sure hope you can prove me wrong and make this a better community for all.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #44
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Excellent job!!!

Great post and video Greg - ignore the haters
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #45
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
I agree with you about going out there and fishing. The assumptions being made is that others don't and just rely on others or reports. I fish 2-3 times a week these days and for 6 to 12 hours at a time. I fish mostly one area cause I don't know many guys and frankly don't know many areas yet which is why I am on this forum.

I'm sure Greg is a great guy and this is not anything specifically towards him but in general as from what I hear from multiple guys this used to be a more share friendly community. I hope you veterans can think back to when you started how much you appreciated the good reports that you took something away from and improved your game.

I have my own pains which is 3 years and no big fish yet you won't hear a peep out of me. Heck I even drowned twice and still go out the next day. But you know the day I catch # 1, 2 or number 60 I will post my report. If 30 kayakers decide to join me then cool. There is plenty of fish and doubt a small kayak community can cause more damage than the party boats do everyday.

In my humble opinion it's selfish to post a report but not want to share any any little info about it. Might as well not post and be a lurker the contribution is the same.

Most of us are not in some secret code group cause some can fish 90% more time than others but I would not dismiss the other 10% as really I'm sure they wish they could fish the 90% of the time.

And your right we do miss yakjoe.
I'll be the first to admit that I AM NOT a fishing veteran

However................

15 trips to LJ
200 miles round trip
up at 2am
home at 5pm
1 WSB

10 trips to Cabrillo
up at 4am
home at 4pm
1 barely legal halibut

Do you see the common denominator?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #46
ful-rac
Emperor

momofish I can guarantee you that complaining about not getting dope is not going to get you more dope, or any dope at all.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #47
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Many of you don't know this but Greg fishes at least 4-5 times more than the rest of us

He fishes multiple days up and down the coast

He provides intel to a very small group, I mean really small. Fortunately, I am one of them

He has never asked for anything in return

When he's not fishing he spends hours looking at videos

He'll take you fishing and still buy you lunch

Rarely is he rewarded with fish

Yet day after day and week and week he's out there on the hunt

If you want to know where the fish are, get out there and find them. Don't sit back and wait for the information to fall on your lap because its not.
I forgot to add that Greg has a full time job

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #48
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
momofish I can guarantee you that complaining about not getting dope is not going to get you more dope, or any dope at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #49
momo fish

Tony this is not a complaint about getting dope. Dope to me is here is what I used, what specific area fish are at and what time of day they are biting.

I just asked general area so I don't drive up and down the coast on PCH with binoculars looking for boats and kayakers. I'm not asking anymore but will try to set an example. Many on here will attest to how much I try to help everyone I meet with whatever little knowledge I have and with little success I have. But I do know I am improving and learning especially after a few lost trophies recently.

I think veterans of the sport should try to help some of the newer guys with some info.
If your going to post to get the accolades then post some info to share with others so one day they can reach your level. There is some fear that other kayakers will steal the 2 fish quota that visit each day.

Btw if you ask in PM you don't get any either so makes no difference.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #50
momo fish

Jorge I agree trust me. But you see what you just did? You actually provided some info instead of leaving it to be a shot in the dark.

And btw after chatting with you, YOU are a fishing vet. Lol. I took away good info about cabrillo and halibut fishing.

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit that I AM NOT a fishing veteran

However................

15 trips to LJ
200 miles round trip
up at 2am
home at 5pm
1 WSB

10 trips to Cabrillo
up at 4am
home at 4pm
1 barely legal halibut

Do you see the common denominator?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #51
YakDout
Brandon

I can definitely tell that you've been in that situation a couple times..
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #52
GregAndrew

Here is why i choose not to share certain bites with the general public. It has been my experience that not everyone has the interest of the fishery anywhere in their top 10 list. On the day i caught this fish, i saw a boater gaff, deck, measure and release a wsb when they already had their limit. I have also seen and heard of lots of instances of fishermen taking more than the legal limit. Also, wsb along with many other species with swim bladders, do not release as well as many other species. So, i tend to be choosy on who i relate infirmation to concerning less hearty fish. I generally will not give specific information concerning these bites to anyone i have not fished with, and come to respect their fishing practices. So you are certainly not going to see me blow up a secret bite of these fish in a public forum. The intent of this video was to show what maybe no one has seen before. The rest was just filler. Take it for the information that you can extract from it, not what you think the intent might have been. That is the reason i did not post it in the fishing reports section.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #53
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
I forgot to add that Greg has a full time job
Wow - combine this with all his time on the water, all his fish, and his video production... I think I have a man-crush .
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #54
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Wow - combine this with all his time on the water, all his fish, and his video production... I think I have a man-crush .
Expressing your undying love for greg will not get you any dope either....

I think?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #55
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Expressing your undying love for greg will not get you any dope either....

I think?
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #56
kayakfisherman

Here's my two cents for Momo Fish and anyone else who isn't on top of things as much as they would like.

There's no secret society. It's just networking with friends. That's all.
The way you make friends is entirely up to you. Sometimes a casusal
chat on the beach, sometimes handing over live squid to someone in their time of need. Sometimes, it's the deckhand you turned on to kayakfishing.

And these friendships are golden.

These friendships take time. It's give alittle, take alittle. Don't be annoying and talk about who you are and what you've done in the distant past on the boards, whether it's facebook or BWE. I'll gaurantee no one will respond,
or just give you vague info.

Momo you'll do just fine. In the mean time, use your resources. Instead of driving up and down the coast, use your phone and call some tackle shops (that you buy from, hint hint) and ask them "where are the squid biting" Good Luck.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #57
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Most kayak fishers I've met on the water don't even know what a BWE is, so I think most of the good current intel would never make it here anyway.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #58
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah momo, you'll do just fine out there. You fish county 2-3 times every week...you'll get yours.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #59
DanaPT

Nice Video. Great style, I don't think those glasses budged in that fight. Not even a splash of water.

Plenty of good info in this post. I liked Deamon's advice... Same thing the Jig Stop said to do. Rossman, your "what to look for" OTW is great too.

those tankers are moving. If anyone in the OC wants to chase'em let me know.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #60
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I think I found the info people are looking for. It's only $169 per year.

http://www.fishdope.com/

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote