Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Silver Lake Eastern Sierras

WOW....words aren't enough for this beautiful place so this report is VERY picture heavy...
The Hobies are ready for another road trip up Hwys 14 and 395...

Campsite # 20...across from the lake with beach parking...

The view from the Silver Lake cafe...what a treat to just walk over to a great breakfast and some coffee.

We set some nets the first day and let them soak overnight...

Damn that's a fun and delicious activity to add to our Sierra trips...and I could sit on those comfortable Vantage seats all day.......Oh Yea...I do...!

With the Adventure Island up there it gave me a new and fun sailing adventure when the wind came up in the afternoons...Those mountain winds aren't like our mellow consistant ocean breezes...It Really gusts up on those mountain lakes...I often had to reef the sail almost to 1/2 sail...SCARRY STUFF...but fun...!!!

These Promar wire baskets make a great holding container for the crawdads while they wait to be culled. We had lots of friends in the campground...

Lots of big Crawfish as usual...

Among our friends on the beach and at the campground were our friends the Raccoons...who visited each night and "tagged the kayaks'...

But nobody was as rude as Bambi and family...yes...that young deer is pissing in the lake...

Fishing in the creek was excellent with worms for small Brooks and bigger Rainbows and as usual it was so quiet and beautiful...lots of C&R fun !

Sunrise on Silver Lake....

Sunset on Gull Lake Saturday night...we went there for a music festival and some craft beers and a Grateful Dead cover band...Fun night with a quick thundershower....just enough for a few wet t-shirts...

The moon was filling out each night so it made for some beautiful nights on the lake...

We ate like Kings...Ribs, Yellowtail and abalone on the grill, trout cooked a few different ways, crawdads Louisiana style and boiled with melted butter...and lots of veggies, potatoes, and corn on the grill and stir-fried...

The sad part...June Lake from Oh Ridge as we leave that beautiful canyon and Loop

Headed south out of Mammoth...

Time to think about dates to reserve for 2017....

Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
slobound

Jim, looks like an amazing time had in the Eastern Sierra's again! Thanks for the photoblog, you captured some great moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Awesome!!!

Lori and I are going to Rock Creek lake next week for 7 days...just got myself 2 of those promar nets for crawdad fishing. Looking forward to having a great time. Going to fly fish and hopefully get some of those tasty crawdads!

Jim, do you think some bluefin dark meat will work good for baiting those traps?

Thanks for the report and sharing...totally Beautiful

Geno
Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

Have fun

Have Fun Geno the crowds are gone....
Anything will work as bait but a can of cat food with a bunch of holes in it is the best attractant...don't leave home without it.

Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Deamon

I KNOW that's not duct tape patching up your Hobie shorts...

Does a deer shit in the lake, up in the woods? Apparently so...

Jim
Attached Images

"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Silver lake is definitely on the sewer camping list for next year! If not this year...I may try to squeeze one in by the end of October...All of my crawdad traps are ready, I can't wait!
Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
GTboosted

I was there in August. How I wish I had the PA14 I ordered with me! Planning on going back as soon as I pick up my PA(hopefully soon) or next year for sure.

I saw a guy throwing some traps into the creek by the outlet, didn't get many though. Did you throw them by the shore or dropped them deeper?
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
GBCbad

Thanks for sharing the photos....such as awesome time of the year to be up there. Looks like you got some amazing weather. That Bambi pissing pic is a classic and needs to be a t shirt.

Have fun Geno.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Thanks Jim for the heads up! And to you also, Greg. I am so pumped!!!
I could not afford truck racks for my Rev 13, at the moment, so I am bringing a 2 man inflatable kayak to set my crawdaddy traps and hopefully do some fly fishing in it as well - at Rock Creek lake. I am also going to go fly fishing at the Owens river, to try my luck at catching a big Brown...
This will be our first real trip in our new 26' travel trailer. If anything, the weather and scenery will be awesome!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #10
ol'skool

Thanks for the pics...felt like I was there and planning on it next year!
ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report Jim. Looks like a blast.

What music festival? Which gd cover band?

Finally, great job on let's talk hook up this morning. I don't hoop, but you made me want to.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:55 AM   #12
Aaron&Julie

Awesome food, photos and story. Looks like a blast!
Old 09-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
rustyhooks
Junior

Crawdads

Hey I loved your post on the eastern Sierras. I'm actually heading up there next week. Can you please share where you get the crawdad traps and how you bait them? I would love to give that a try! Thank you!

Chris
rustyhooks is offline   Reply With Quote