Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
JeffB

LJ Mixed Bag!!!

about 0730 this morning and I was stuck fighting the current on the way out. I ran into deepdvr. I chatted for a couple of minutes. He was looking for bigger fish, I told him I was after Reds, then after asking him the depth I parted ways. I marked a couple of rock piles on the GPS that I found on google earth and wanted to fish. I hit up the first one and hooked up right away with a decent size red, then started catching sandbass. I caught about 7 bass before I decided to keep a couple. Then I moved on up and marked a new spot and drifted to my old spot. Made the run a few times and it payed off for me. I caught about30 fish today easily. I sent a whole bunch of them back down to then bottom to grow up. I caught one mystery fish however. I am not sure what it is. It looks like some type of perch with really big puffy lips and little teeth inside, almost like miniature sheep head teeth. Any ideas? The reds were crushing my bait today as well as the sandbass. Nice little fighters. I had one a little over 3 1/2lbs, weighed it to see how close my guess was, and 3 more around 3lbs.

I missed out on some YT today as well. I was watching the dolphin circle up and feed on the bait out there. So I really did not think nothing of it, then they got a little closer. They were maybe 75- 100yrd away from me. I got my iron ready just in case. The next thing I know I see the birds circling me and then look back, not even 10yrd from me was a huge school of fish. I looked closely thinking I was going to see more of the dolphin I had been all day. Nope, guessing it was YT, the fishes back were surfacing. They were tons of them. I chucked my iron at them and it went flying off my line. I cursed a little, hurried up and tied another on. Chuck it out again and same thing. So I tie on a third one, and let it sink a good ways. I start cranking it in fast and off goes my third iron. All I could do is laugh. The last time I had YT that close to my yak, I hit a rod behind me and backlashed like heck. I am cursed I swear. I was more disappointed with the fact that I lost an iron that no one has in their stores (color wise). The line that kept breaking was 30lb power pro, brand new, only second time used. CRAZY.

Tip: All the fish I caught today, and I mean all of them were spitting out small baitfish. Some were even spitting small halibut/ sanddabs. The little fish were kind of a firetiger color. They almost looked like a fresh water lake perch. Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by JeffB; 04-10-2012 at 07:57 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
thefisher

Right on Jeff I wish I could have joined you brotha!
thefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Nice!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
VINNYC
VINNY

Good fishing there bud!!!
VINNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
NextBite

Yum Yum Taco's

I saw you out there today, sorry i didnt say hello
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
YakMedic

Nice job on the rockfish. I hate losing gear, especially a special
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
roadx

damn yellows

back in town, let me know the next session
Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
echo1er

errr... great job Jeff
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Solid work! That sucks about the YT's.......I guess you can just drown your sorrows with tasty fish taco's.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Baja_Traveler

Your mystery fish is a Rubber Lip Perch.

Guess I shouldnt have gotten so lazy and gone out - had the kayak on the truck & everything....
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
da22y

The red are tender and delicious .

The Rubber Lip Perch is not as tender.
Got to use dental floss yesterday after I ate one...
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
excellent job on the rockfish...fish tacos are on the way soon...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
Rhynik
Junior

Yo Jeff, I went out there. Found one rock pile and dragged in some good reds and a tree fish.

Yet to get a FF, I found the rock pile by throwing a jig, and getting stuck. So I figured, I'll drop some squid down on top. Next 4 drops, I had 4 fish.

Sadly it was all I caught yesterday, but at least I was able to get out there.
Rhynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Launched about 0730 this morning and I was stuck fighting the current on the way out. I ran into deepdvr. I chatted for a couple of minutes. He was looking for bigger fish, I told him I was after Reds, then after asking him the depth I parted ways. I marked a couple of rock piles on the GPS that I found on google earth and wanted to fish. I hit up the first one and hooked up right away with a decent size red, then started catching sandbass. I caught about 7 bass before I decided to keep a couple. Then I moved on up and marked a new spot and drifted to my old spot. Made the run a few times and it payed off for me. I caught about30 fish today easily. I sent a whole bunch of them back down to then bottom to grow up. I caught one mystery fish however. I am not sure what it is. It looks like some type of perch with really big puffy lips and little teeth inside, almost like miniature sheep head teeth. Any ideas? The reds were crushing my bait today as well as the sandbass. Nice little fighters. I had one a little over 3 1/2lbs, weighed it to see how close my guess was, and 3 more around 3lbs.

I missed out on some YT today as well. I was watching the dolphin circle up and feed on the bait out there. So I really did not think nothing of it, then they got a little closer. They were maybe 75- 100yrd away from me. I got my iron ready just in case. The next thing I know I see the birds circling me and then look back, not even 10yrd from me was a huge school of fish. I looked closely thinking I was going to see more of the dolphin I had been all day. Nope, guessing it was YT, the fishes back were surfacing. They were tons of them. I chucked my iron at them and it went flying off my line. I cursed a little, hurried up and tied another on. Chuck it out again and same thing. So I tie on a third one, and let it sink a good ways. I start cranking it in fast and off goes my third iron. All I could do is laugh. The last time I had YT that close to my yak, I hit a rod behind me and backlashed like heck. I am cursed I swear. I was more disappointed with the fact that I lost an iron that no one has in their stores (color wise). The line that kept breaking was 30lb power pro, brand new, only second time used. CRAZY.

Tip: All the fish I caught today, and I mean all of them were spitting out small baitfish. Some were even spitting small halibut/ sanddabs. The little fish were kind of a firetiger color. They almost looked like a fresh water lake perch. Hope that helps.
Jeff,
I'm new to off shore//kayak fishing; what did you snag the reds on? I was out on the water in LJ on Sat, caught nothing but my bait...I wouldn't mind side tracking from trying to get a yt or wsb to bust my yaks cherry and snag some bass//reds.

...also, I learned that I need to take a class to learn how to get back in from the surf I wore my yak as a hat on the way back in.
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Valek

Well done brother, nice report!
Valek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
JeffB

Thanks!

yakman619, hit me up and we can link up. I use artificial's with strips of squid pinned on. I also use a dropper loop, but I have better luck with jigs. Nice thing about the jig is that you're constantly working it and feel the strike. When a red hit the bait, they clobber it!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
Amish Ed

Lots 'o tacos right there. Fun stuff.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
driftwood

Nice job Jefff!

I bet you made your wife real happy . I've seen you fillet fish before on the back of your truck and you do a really nice job. Where did you learn that skill?

were ya get those shorts? polka-dot short gives me vertigo.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Your mystery fish is a Rubber Lip Perch.

Guess I shouldnt have gotten so lazy and gone out - had the kayak on the truck & everything....
I'll second that. Nice haul of good eating fish, nothing wrong with that. I'm guessing you experienced that over-anxiety of seeing something awesome (school of yellows), and lost a little composure. All ye that love fishing have been there. Anyhow, an excellent day, I'd say.
Aaron
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Nice catch there, definitely good eats. Were you out at mission bay on Friday?
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
la jolla, reds. rock fish, sand bass