Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
TJones

Off Shore ( non kayak )

Since I got into kayaking getting on boats was really on the back burner. Last year I bought a tallica 25 and tried to give it a shot on the cows but came up short on what was a really good trip. This year I added a tallica 20 to arsenal and booked last remaining spot on a Pheenix sponsored trip aboard the Ranger 85. The trip was for 2.5 days. Largest fish on first day was over 200 lb. and it was caught on a glow in the dark flat fall at grey light. The fish didn’t bite again until nightfall. It was explosive at dusk and the fish went 35 -60 lb. The boat said it was the best they have seen. Over 45 landed in a couple hours with about 30 anglers. Slow start for me with only 1 landed at 35 lb. I lost two two fish, One at color when I put slack in line waiting for gaff. the other fish I horsed in, and it managed to find the rudder. The second day was similar scenario, very quiet until dusk. Darkness fell and the fish went under us. This school was larger and 4 guys got chewed off or sawed off immediately. I grabbed my biggest reel with flat fall. First drop within seconds I was on. Fought the fish for over 20 minutes and it went 157 lb on the scale taking jackpot. Another angler fought a fish for over an hour which would have been largest of trip but the fish rolled at color and spit hook. Fortunate for me, not for him. The boat also landed over a half dozen cows on a kite reel with the fish averaging about 250 lbs. what a great experience. Not cheap to get on a boat these days, but provided a lifetime of memories. It’s not getting much better. 150 lb - 400 lb. fish within a days range? Tightlines everyone. Hope everyone had a great summer. I’m gonna give it another shot this week on the same boat on a 1.5 day trip. I’ll keep you guys posted.
Attached Images

Last edited by TJones; 09-07-2018 at 09:10 AM.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
GTboosted

SICK!

Funny that I never been on a fishing boat. Your post makes me want to give it a shot. I would think the rest of the "good" trips are fully booked for this season?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
SICK!

Funny that I never been on a fishing boat. Your post makes me want to give it a shot. I would think the rest of the "good" trips are fully booked for this season?
Not all booked up, there are still some great trips available 2-3 weeks out, but don't do it. Such an expensive addiction! Even more expensive than kayaking.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
ProfessorLongArms

Nice Tony! A good tuna run is definitely on the bucket list for me.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
blitzburgh

Holy crap that's awesome! Congrats!!!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Tekniks

nice going
Tekniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
goldenglory18

Nicely done! Fish like that are not easy to catch, especially if you have a bunch of dipships you're sharing the ride with.

I was out on a full day on Saturday and lost a few fish due to rail riders not getting the F outta the way. That's one advantage a kayak will never lose.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #8
dpricenator

I'm going to jump in and post mine here too. I couldn't figure out where else to put it so we'll only use 1 thread for completely off topic reports.

Went out on the Producer which is also out of H&M Landing, this past Saturday night for an Overnight trip. I had a hard time sleeping so when the engine stopped, a couple of us got up. It was 4:30 AM and the Captain said there were fish under the boat and asked us to toss some jigs to see if they were biting. I tossed a small glow in the dark Flat Fall and was bit before the jig got past the 2nd color change in my line. So less than 50 ft down. We had 2 Yellow Fin h on board in the first 10 minutes. People started to stir as they heard we were on the fish. More jigs went in the water and more fish came on board. We had 100 Skipjack and Yellow Fin before 7am. We fished for the next 4 hours and put the other 200 fish, we needed to go BOAT LIMIT. They never turned the engine on after the first stop at 4:30. I had never seen anything like it. Friggin blood everywhere. 3-4 people yelling GAFF at any given time. We caught the limit on the Skip Jack first so we were having to break those off and re-tie hooks 3-4 times before we got a Yellow fin. So if we count the extra SkipJack, on average we put 1 fish on the boat for every 1 minute we fished, for 6 hours straight. 150 YF, 149 SkipJack, 1 dorado ( which ate a guy's live bait and then another guy's jig, they reeled it in together). We left the fishing grounds 3 hours early, with high fives, hoots and hollers all around. About an hour later, people were passed out sleeping all over the boat. All fish were 15-25lb range. The Sashimi is awesome, but my poke is to die for. Giving a bunch away at work today.

side story, I got caught in a tangle and just cut my line to get out of it. I had 100lb Orange spectra with a 25 lb leader. Now the leader was gone. It was still dark out so tying a uni to uni was not gong to happen. I tied a hook straight to the spectra, added bait and was hit with in 30 seconds. I caught 3 fish on straight 100 lb spectra, tied to a hook. Got tangled and switched rods so I would have the bounce of the mono leader.

If you can't do a 2.5 day for the cows, take a night and do an overnight trip.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
smokie

Heck yeah, glad you got some!! Hopefully my turn will be coming this weekend.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
goldenglory18

Hell yes!

Next chance I have to get out is Friday the 21st. I might book an overnight just for shits and giggles....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote