Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Garibaldi_Hunter

Thanks for the info guys. I just went ahead and ordered the RayMarine DS500X. Still undecided on the kayak paddle however I sent ONNO an email asking what their turnaround time was. If he replies in less than 2 days and the turnaround is not too large I may just go with an ONNO but if no reply then I'm going with the CoryVecken. Since Fred Hall starts tomorrow I'll be making a trip there after work and see what else I can pickup. Was going to wait on the DS500X but found a store getting rid of old inventory selling their last one NIB for 350 w/ Transducer. Dont think I'll be able to beat that deal.
Garibaldi_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
I just went ahead and ordered the RayMarine DS500X
Great deal!!!You will like the Big screen on that Monitor....

Does your Extreme have the foam inside the yak?The reason I am asking is Because the transducer is Pretty big....
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Garibaldi_Hunter

Yes it has the foam core. How has everyone else mounted their transducers?

I was hoping to mount it near the seat or just behind. Then I'm installing a kayatank in the rear hatch behind that.
Garibaldi_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garibaldi_Hunter View Post
Yes it has the foam core. How has everyone else mounted their transducers?

I was hoping to mount it near the seat or just behind. Then I'm installing a kayatank in the rear hatch behind that.

I dont have a extreme, But have heard of people chipping the foam away , then install the transducer with goop ,You can also mount it on the stern .... Hopefully some one with a Extreme will chime in ......Here is a pic of the transducer .....,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transducer2.jpg (29.8 KB, 184 views)
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
wavster

Depending on the year of your eXtreme, you may or may not have the white layer
inside the hull. Transducers won't work well shooting through that, as it has air molecules in the
material. Be very careful if you have to cut out the additional layer, as you could very
easily cut through your hull.

I mount my transducer using a carriage bolt and turnbuckle through the scupper hole in the foot well.
This is not my favorite way (it tends to catch kelp) and would like to change it, but I'm
planning on getting a new eXtreme in the next couple of weeks, so I'm living with it.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
OB Paddler

Hi G.H.,

Just a quick heads up, the Corryvrecken paddle rocks . Just remember it's a big paddle face. Also meaning that it takes a bit of strength to keep moving. Not so bad for a half day fishing in La jolla , and awesome for punching through surf at the launch...but I hear that most of the guy's like a lower impact touring paddle.

When you start covering a lot more ground you might wish you didn't have a paddle with so much "Bite". The advise I'm giving to you is the same that I received when looking for a paddle. That being said... I love my Werner Corryvrecken. I would recommend stopping by Aqua-Adventures and talking to Jennifer Kleck, she is a top female paddler in the US. and definitely know her s#!t.

OB Paddler

A.K.A

Todd

Last edited by OB Paddler; 03-06-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: I can't spell
OB Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
OB Paddler

Oh, and I almost forgot,

The Corryvrecken is a high angle paddle. Which means you need to determine what type of stroke you have. Picture from Werners website. You might want to try this paddle fit quiz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angle.jpg (20.9 KB, 171 views)
OB Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote