Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
SP Dan

Just Getting Started Rod Length And Gear

My current back ground is in intensive surf fishing and have fished off cattle boats many years ago.
I wear waders, a fly fishing jacket, a small backpack and a 3rd Grip belt, and would go chest deep in the salt, at times taking waves over my head while fan casting Lucky Craft 110 Flash-minnow lures and normally covering 3 - 5 miles of coastal bays, coves and beaches in a session.

My current gear: I have (2) 9'-6" St Croix stix 8-17 lb med with fast tip paired with Van Staal VS-100 spinning reels, one loaded with 55# braided Samurai and the other with 15# mono because I like to drop-shot.
My reels are bail-less, salt water proof and sand proof and have 30# of drag.

I feel that my 9'-6" sticks might be too long as far as controlling a decent sized fish right next to the yak.
So ... what is the best length and model stix to use on a yak?
I prefer a fast tip. I also realize that everything is personal preference and
that I would prefer to stick with my spinning reels because I dislike birdnests.

Line preference and lb strength? Braided, mono, fluoro?
I believe that 15# to 20# mono / fluoro should do the trick. I understand some yakers use 40# braided backing with fluoro tied on as a leader.
I plan on fishing inside the break walls until I learn my yak's behavior and gain confidence in it's abilities, agility and it's stability. I also need to learn to understand my fish finder.

Only then will I push my limits further but first I must become committed and learn the basic skills.

Would anyone with vast experience and knowledge of yak fishing be brave enough to mentor me (a newbie) during my maiden yak fishing voyage? It would have to be a morning session out of Cabrillo Beach, San Pedro and only on a weekend ... it would be greatly appreciated!
I should be ready by the weekend of the New Moon, the 26th.
Just PM me.
Lunch would be on me!

Dan

Last edited by SP Dan; 07-16-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: SP
SP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
SP Dan

I'm going to safely say that .... as long as the rod tip can clear the front of the bow when the fish takes off on a power run .... any preferred stix will do.

Dan
SP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Everybody fishes different, and has different preferences. You just have to find yours, whatever they may be. Me personally I fish 8' rods, simply because that's what I have. I don't have kayak specific gear, as far as rods and reels go. I use the same gear I use when I go on boats.

Will your 9'-10' surf rods work...? I guess...if that's all you got, they may not be the best for fishing on a kayak but I don't see why it wouldn't work until you figure out what you like.