Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
SP Dan

Just Getting Started

Purchased a NIB Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Fish finder and would like to know how to protect the LCD screen from salt water spray build up, splash spotting, scratching and the recommended cleaning after each session.
Does any one use a LCD screen scratch protector like you would use on your smart phones or cameras?

I read thru my Lowrance paper work three times and and went searching on line and was not able to find the answers to my questions.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, experience and or leads on this topic.

Thanx,

Dan
SP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
FISH11

FISH11

The head units are waterproof, so there is no need to protect it from water. Scratches can happen but I haven't really had a problem. The most important thing is to fill up the cable connector with di-electric grease to protect the connector from corrosion due to electrolisis. I put some into the connector openings in the cable end and fill up the cavity on the head unit. Fill up both sides if your head model has two. If you don't do this the connectors can corrode away and you would need to replace the transducer cable or worse the head unit. The biggest problem I have had with salt water is that your paddle and waves splash onto the screen as it dries it leave spots, making it hard to see the screen. If you wipe it off it leaves streaks. I apply some Rain X to the screen using the RainX wipes just like I use on the Go Pro lens. That helps as long as you don't wipe off with your fingers. If some water stays on the screen, than I pour a little fresh water on the screen from my drinking water bottle. That helps stop the spots. Some people rubber band a zip lock bag, but they will get spotted also. Also important in connecting the head unit to the power source (battery) hook up the unit first before connecting the battery and disconnect the battery first before disconnecting the head unit this is another way to reduce the possibility of connector problems. Never leave the head unit connected when not in use. Good Luck