Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
SP Dan

Just Getting Started With A VHF Radio

I understand that a VHF radio is a must to have on the yak.
There are so many radios out there on the market place and there's also one listed at our site "Online Store".
I realize that it needs to be water proof and must float. It also needs to have a good, clear, legible sound with a loud volume control.

What else should I be looking for in a quality VHF radio? What makes a good one stand out from the rest besides it's $ price?

Can you recommend brands? Brand name(s) and model number(s)?

Any hands on shared knowledge or experience will be appreciated.

Dan
SP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Buy a decent unit with an even better warranty. West Marine is on the expensive side but if you buy it there and buy the warranty, you are golden. Radios are one of those things that you are probably going to have problems with in the future, due to the harsh environment that it gets used in.

Another thing to know, if you get the speaker wet...you will hardly hear anything, even though it is waterproof and submersible. So try to keep it out of the water. If you want to get fancy get an external mic, and just keep that dry. If you do get one of those, you can get the radio wet all you want and still be able to transmit and receive.

Good brands

Standard Horizon (service center located in cypress)
Icom

There's probably a few more...
Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
jorluivil

Everything Tony said X 3

I've been kayak fishing since 2009 and I've gone through at least a handful of radios. Some were lost in the water, other took a crap and some sustained water damage and were unrepairable.

Much like Tony said, WM is expensive but their return/exchange policy is second to none. I've never had an issue with returns or exchanges.....gloves, batteries, cables, you name it......they always stand behind their products.

Side note:
stay away from the San Pedro WM store. I've been there about a handful of times and have had bad service at least 2-3 times. I don't know what it is about this store but after getting crappy service from them I went to the Long Beach store and they were more than helpful. I know other guys that have had similar experiences there so I guess my experience was not an isolated incident.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Longbeach west marine is pretty good. I've got a few items replaced there no questions asked. I just got a replacement set of Binos that got broken by "Somebody?" on our Gonzaga trip (probably Matt). No receipt, 4 year old binos, no problem, free replacement, sweet!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Wintersun
Junior

Recommend getting one with DSC which with one button push will send your exact coordinates correctly to the Coast Guard.

Waterproof and floating VHF that were on my short list were Standard Horizon HX851, Uniden MHS235, and the Icom M92D. Battery life varies considerably between these three radios as does the degree of waterproofing for the speaker.
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote