Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
socal_matt
Cruisin'

The Banana is Back

Finally back on the water after a 3 month break. If the title confuses you, I call my kayak "The Banana" since its a 12 ft yellow OK scrambler xt. Plus I put this Banana with a sombrero logo on the side.

Well, anyways I got some time off of my job to do some fishing. Got on the water out of NPH around 7:00 am. Then I got off the water around 10:30 am. When I first got out to my rockfish spot, I was the only one out there. Then an hour later the parade showed up, I counted 9 other kayakers out there today. Didn't really matter since they weren't fishing in one of my honey holes which I call "Barberpole City" because when I found it, it was wide open Barberpole RF. Anyways, I fished that spot today, limited out pretty easily.
Here's the cooler shot.

Caught almost all of them on my little Bass Pro shops baitcaster, that made it a little more fun. Also, saw someone that I knew out there, his name is Vy. I put him on my spot when I was leaving since he was having trouble. He's helped me in the past, so I decided to return the favor.

The Fish Count for Today was:
1 Starry RF (cut up for bait)
4 Barberpole RF (1 released)
7 Red Snapper

Overall, it was a good trip. Nothing huge, but plenty of meat. Good to be back on the kayak again.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Bananas Rock!

My kayak is a big yellow Revo! Welcome back, nice haul!

Janine
Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
TJones

No bananas on the boat

Shame . Shame. Amazingly you caught fish ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
FISH11

Who says Bananas bring bad luck. I have heard it said on this site, but I'm not sure why. I've taken bananas for a snack and never thought it was any problem. Nice haul of Taco meat.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
TJones

Old fisherman's tale

But you know what I am talking about.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
But you know what I am talking about.
I've always known about bananas being bad luck, thats what makes my name for my kayak even better. Since I catch fish on a banana.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
DennisMorgan

Very nice Rockies pull! I went out off of PL and pulled 5!on Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
capntim

Fish tacos! Yum.
capntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_matt View Post

The Fish Count for Today was:
1 Starry RF (cut up for bait)
4 Barberpole RF (1 released)
7 Red Snapper

Am I right in thinking the one RF you used for bait counts towards your daily bag limit, so 11 RF = poaching?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Am I right in thinking the one RF you used for bait counts towards your daily bag limit, so 11 RF = poaching?
The law states you cannot have more than 10 Rockfish in your possession per day. By the time I caught my last fish, all the cut up rockfish was gone, I basically released it, just in multiple pieces. Overall, if that rockfish were to count, then the other few small ones I threw back would've counted too. Its about how many you keep, not how many you happen to hook, and I didn't keep that cut up rockfish. At no time on my kayak today, did I have more than my legal limit of rockfish. Sorry for the long winded explanation, I just don't like being told that I'm breaking the law, nor would anyone else like being told that either.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
buddha

Quote:
The law states you cannot have more than 10 Rockfish in your possession per day. By the time I caught my last fish, all the cut up rockfish was gone, I basically released it, just in multiple pieces. Overall, if that rockfish were to count, then the other few small ones I threw back would've counted too. Its about how many you keep, not how many you happen to hook, and I didn't keep that cut up rockfish. At no time on my kayak today, did I have more than my legal limit of rockfish. Sorry for the long winded explanation, I just don't like being told that I'm breaking the law, nor would anyone else like being told that either.
I am not a game warden but to me that just doesn't sound right. Lets say it was 10 fish that you cut up but didn't keep. You only kept 10. That makes it sound a lot worse but in your logic you would be legal.

Whether it is one fish or 10 extra that you killed or cut up, to me that should count toward your limit.

If anyone knows differently please educate me.

Last edited by buddha; 03-23-2014 at 08:55 PM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I am not a game warden but to me that just doesn't sound right. Lets say it was 10 fish that you cut up but didn't keep. You only kept 10. That makes it sound a lot worse but in your logic you would be legal.

Whether it is one fish or 10 extra that you killed or cut up to me that should count toward your limit.

If anyone knows differently please educate me.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I'll admit my error. That was just my perception of the law.

My feeling is that you live and learn; and if I'm wrong this was a good learning experience and will hopefully keep me out of trouble in the future.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
The law states you cannot have more than 10 Rockfish in your possession per day.
The regulations don't just say possess more than 10, they references "Take and Possession". Take is defined as:

TAKE
Hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill fish, amphibians, reptiles, mollusks, crustaceans
or invertebrates or attempting to do so.

Quote:
By the time I caught my last fish, all the cut up rockfish was gone, I basically released it, just in multiple pieces.
I think it's a really big stretch to call releasing something in multiple pieces the same as releasing.

Quote:
Overall, if that rockfish were to count, then the other few small ones I threw back would've counted too. Its about how many you keep, not how many you happen to hook, and I didn't keep that cut up rockfish. At no time on my kayak today, did I have more than my legal limit of rockfish. Sorry for the long winded explanation, I just don't like being told that I'm breaking the law, nor would anyone else like being told that either.

I'm not DFG and I don't mean to bust your balls. I just saw something that didn't sound right to me.

Some supporting info I've found:

26. Is it legal to use saltwater finfish for bait?

Yes, provided that the fish was taken legally (meets minimum size requirements, seasons, etc.). This fish that will be used for bait does count towards the individual's daily bag and possession limit for that species.

Use of sanddabs & small rockfish as bait...

Question: I fish the ocean waters off Mendocino and Humboldt counties from a sport boat and target lingcod and other groundfish. My question is, can I use live sanddabs and small black and blue rockfish to catch lingcod?

Answer: Yes, you can catch these species to then use for bait in ocean waters as long as they are all taken and possessed legally. All seasons, bag and size limits apply, even if your catch is used as bait for lingcod, etc. The rockfish must be counted toward your RCG Complex bag limit.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post

Some supporting info I've found:

26. Is it legal to use saltwater finfish for bait?

Yes, provided that the fish was taken legally (meets minimum size requirements, seasons, etc.). This fish that will be used for bait does count towards the individual's daily bag and possession limit for that species.

Use of sanddabs & small rockfish as bait...

Question: I fish the ocean waters off Mendocino and Humboldt counties from a sport boat and target lingcod and other groundfish. My question is, can I use live sanddabs and small black and blue rockfish to catch lingcod?

Answer: Yes, you can catch these species to then use for bait in ocean waters as long as they are all taken and possessed legally. All seasons, bag and size limits apply, even if your catch is used as bait for lingcod, etc. The rockfish must be counted toward your RCG Complex bag limit.
This is very enlightening. Did not realize all of this. Thanks for pointing out my mistakes.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
NEEFFF

Hey, Was that you out there Sat? I was in an Olive Outback.I Thought u were Vincent
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
NEEFFF

my Mistake, (Sunday)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEFFF View Post
Hey, Was that you out there Sat? I was in an Olive Outback.I Thought u were Vincent
Ya that was me. That was pretty funny when you called me Vince, cuz I know Vince, he mostly fishes off a boat now.

Did you catch much?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #18
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Good to see you out again. When we fishing? We can share honey holes

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
chxh8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
We can share honey holes

chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
NEEFFF

Quote:
Ya that was me. That was pretty funny when you called me Vince, cuz I know Vince, he mostly fishes off a boat now.

Did you catch much?

hahah my bsad, I thought u were Vince, Since i used to always see him out in NP He also Rides a yellow scramble ri think and Wears the Face Shield too haha

i ended up with Limits on the Rockfish, Bunch of croakers, One Big sandbass (released) & a Nice sized Sole