Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Cubanaso
Junior

New to the kayak world

Hello everybody! My name is Andrew and I'm fairly new to this kayak fishing world. I am no stranger to fishing and it is my dearest past time. I have been studying kayaks and kayak fishing for some time now and think I finally ready to make the commitment, buy a bait and test the hype.

You seem to have a wonderful community here and I look forward to hearing all of your advice, stories and reports. I hope I can soon provide some of my own.

First order of business would be a boat. I've had my eyes set on a wilderness systems tarpon for sometime now. I originally was leaning towards the 16 but have more recently started to favor the 14. I'm 6'4" and 210, I feel it's gonna take a bit of boat to float me.

I will be fishing and freediving out of this boat so it's important that it's stable and easy enough to get into from the water (practice I'm sure will help with this, and time perhaps).

Any ideas or input as to whether this is a wise choice? I am looking for a used boat thats a few years old and a good deal so I can learn the ropes and modify as needed.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Andrew
Cubanaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
MrPatrick

I think you need a little more boat.

Come to the Hero's On The Water event this Saturday and meet some people and I'm sure some people will let you paddle their yaks.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
easyday

Where are you located? I have a tarpon 160 I'll let you test paddle. I love my tarpon. Thing is so fast. If your looking for used there is usually a pretty good selection of tarpons around. I'm 6'2 and weigh about the same and it works great. A lot of people will say it's unstable, it is thin and takes some getting used to, but the secondary stability is awesome. I do some decently long trips and have gone out in swell I shouldn't have and the tarpon handled it no problem.

Last edited by easyday; 11-05-2014 at 09:50 PM.
easyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Welcome! I agree that you might want more boat. I have a Tarpon and also freedive with it from time to time instead of using my Hobie. It gets the job done but I'm always a tad jealous of just how much more stable my buddies X-factor is and how much more storage capabilities he has. I can tell you if price is a concern too you're better off finding a Malibu or Ocean Kayak already rigged cheaper and more readily available than a Tarpon. With your height and weight you'll be able to exit and re-enter a wider yak easier as well. Of course that's only my 2 cents, whatever gets you out there safely is all it takes until you figure out exactly what you want.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
easyday

If your looking to do a decent amount of diving from the yak you may want to look into the ride series from wilderness systems. A lot wider and significantly more stable.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #6
tacmik

Check out the yaks for sale in this forum. One guy has three very good yaks for sale at good prices. Anyone of them would fit your needs.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I will repeat the response many newbies have received and are generally recommended by most shops...try them out first, see how it feels, checkout the layout to see if it matches your requirements (especially since you seem to want to do some, although I have no idea of how much, free diving from your kayak.
If by chance you plan on doing any Scuba you might need a boat with a sizeable cargo area. Search previous threads on this board for all kinds of information that might relate to your concerns.
ONLY 'YOU' will know what's best for you!
Call one of the OEX SHOPS as they have most any models available for Demos and are/can be a wealth of information when assisting you in choosing a Kayak!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #8
Cubanaso
Junior

Thanks for all the insight and and welcomes. I share my time between work in the central valley (chico area) and home (orange county). I free dive and fish the north coast and need a kayak for that mainly, but also some river runs. I would love to hit up some kelp paddies down south while I'm home.

I'll be down south in about two weeks and will have some time to hopefully try out some kayaks and purchase something.

What is fair price range for a tarpon 140-160 or x factor? I was looking to spend between 350-600 for a used one. Is this feasible? I feel like I've seen some in this range.

Thanks again for the input.
Cubanaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
ctfphoto

I have a Tarpon 120, probably should have got the 140.

My Tarpon is super fast and super stable. Best thing I ever bought.

Be careful, this sport is SUPER ADDICTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote