Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Thanks for sharing - you came out of it, so lesson learned and party-on. Good job keeping your wits about you.

I would add one more thing to your list: to keep a knife clipped to your PFD at all times, so that you can reach for it even if you can't see it.

That way you can cut lines if you're wrapped up in them and underwater, like in your situation.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Glad you survived so you could learn your lesson. Malibu is just one of those places that can be VERY dangerous if the weather picks up. To any newbee that has read this thread, take it seriously, don't let this be you. You might not be so lucky.....
Old 05-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
StinkyMatt

Thank you for having the courage to post it up.

Someone may learn from it.

Glad you are OK.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

A good lesson for all of us!

It's always important to kayak with a buddy. ( I don't care how hot the bite is)
SAFETY IS ALWAYS FIRST IN MY BOOK!

I know for a fact that our kayak buddies are not always on the same schedule, but having a partner out there in the water with you can be the difference of life, and or death.

Thank you for giving us more knowledge about what can happen on the water, hopefully someone can gain wisdom and put it do good use.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Thanks for sharing - you came out of it, so lesson learned and party-on. Good job keeping your wits about you.

I would add one more thing to your list: to keep a knife clipped to your PFD at all times, so that you can reach for it even if you can't see it.

That way you can cut lines if you're wrapped up in them and underwater, like in your situation.
I used to keep my knife secured to my yak for ease of use until I had a friend wipe out in the kill zone and get tangled in his leash, his knife was on him and it still took him a few seconds to get it out and sever the leash. No harm was done but it dawned on me that if I was in the water and my yak was upside down or sideways it would take me far longer to locate and get my knife, and that is to say if I was able to grab it at all. The thought of being helpless scared me and luckily I realized it before I was put in that type of scenario.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
gunghosd
Let's Do This!

Glad you posted, I think everyone has had their oh sh!t moments, its better to stay humble and learn from our own mistakes and others! After all were all just dudes floating in tiny plastic toothpicks in a huge ocean.

finbomb.com

Don't hate me, Just my humble opinion
Tight lines my fishing brothers
gunghosd is offline   Reply With Quote