Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Lowrance Hook5 just died after a year. Considering options

Hey All,

As usual, forgive my lengthy post... Actual questions in bold

I've been using a Lowrance Hook 5 chirp (2nd most recent gen) for about a year.
I also just got through outfitting my new scupper with a 2nd transducer and wiring so I can just use the same head unit on both kayaks.

Works great when it works, but recently started crapping out. I've had a few trips now where it just works for an hour, dies, then refuses to stay on for more than 30 seconds. Corrected itself with a hard software reset (power+plus/minus buttons pressed down in case you ever need it), but then came back 2 trips later and is now permanent.

This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about Lowrance, or for that matter, this exact issue with the same unit.

I'm faced with a bit of a quandry.... I'm outside of warranty with Lowrance, and they'll send me a refurb for 40 bucks. I bought an extended warranty with WestMarine (big thanks to a couple of friends, and especially Andy, for the advice here rather than just selling me a unit direct) and they're happy to give me $280 store credit on the unit since it's discontinued.... *but* it'd mean I need to rip out the wiring/transducer, drive it down to Long Beach, eat the cost of my $120+ 2nd transducer, and move all of my data over to a new format.

AFAIK, the problem I'm facing is from taking a lot of saltwater over the bow in rough conditions, and generally putting my fish finder through considerable punishment....

Do I know anyone who has put their Lowrance (pre hook2) units through more than just flat calm conditions and found them especially reliable? I'm considering getting a replacement from Lowrance and seeing how it goes since I'm kind of invested.

Are there any alternative units that are known for being especially water tight, or that anyone has found especially reliable under similar conditions?

I'm looking at units like those cheap garmins (though I'm not crazy about a small screen) and toying with just going cheap so that it doesn't hit me nearly as hard if one craps out on me.
I'm looking for durability and reliability first and foremost.

I don't care about touchscreen or even downscan/sidescan bells and whistles so much as decent GPS with the ability to import/export coordinates.
In fact, the one thing that turned me off from almost upgrading the new Hook2 4 was that it doesn't actually have a microSD port.

On the other hand, I'm 90% sure my saltwater damage came through the rubber gasket on my microSD port and am considering just putting silicon seal on it next time if I stick with a Hook5.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote