Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
madscientist

11/13 Oh, the heartbreak......and then...

Long day but I'll cut to the chase. Launched 6:30 into fog, made lizards and macs off the pier, thank goodness for GPS, dragged for nada, trolled for nada, got spooked in the fog, actually wore my lifejacket (for the whistle), out to the half, nothing doing, thought about heading in to catch the late games.

Figured I wanted some rockfish to at least avoid the complete skunk. Hit a few spots on the way in but all I was getting were sand dabs. Had one good thunk on the sabiki that convinced me to move up to a real rockfish rig, but it was dab dab dab.

Head over to the canyon edge for the last hurrah. Drop down and immediately feel the dab nibble. Tap, tap, tap, WHAMMO! A little drag goes out so I'm think big red...

Then the drag starts screaming!

Mind you, I have been dragging macs all day on my heavy gear, but of course, I'm using my saltist 30 on a light jig stick for the rocks. Down well below half a spool and still peeling out, I figure I have to do something quick, so I button down and get my feet in. Yak picks up speed but at least I'm not losing anymore line.

Start gaining ground as I try to think what the hell this could be. Doesn't feel like a yellow because there are no distinct tail thumps, but it was on the rockfish rig so it might be wrapped. I see the fish on the sonar running to the bottom: now I think it might be a BSB. We dance around for 20 minutes and I slowly get it up. A glimpse at first color looks YT. but might be shark, then it runs again. Pump back to color and, holy shit, its a big freakin yellow, well over 30. First pass by the boat I take an ill advised gaff swing, the fish bolts, the line gets caught up in another rod, and the 2/0 octopus hook breaks. I watch the tail swim away. :cry: :cry: :cry:

After a moment of shock the anguish sets in. Sobs and rending of garments. As some of you may know, I indulge in some colorful language on occassion. Well, I unleashed a tirade, directed at myself, that must have caused Satan himself to think "Dude, tone it down". Beside my self with frustration, a little piece of the brain keeps fishing, calling to mind the quote from Jaws my friend Joe recently reminded me of..."You lose one, you rig one".

Attached a new hook and and follow my trail back to the spot, swearing up a storm the whole way. Rebait (cut mac) and drop down, still cussing up a storm. Get down, feel the tap, tap, tap of dab, then........

.....Whammo.....

.....Are you kidding me, are you F-ing kidding me......

I'm on, exactly as before. This time the fish doesn't have a hard initial run, but it is still a 20 minute up and down battle. At color I see the exact same image I saw before, big freaking yellow. This time, I take my time, back off, let it do it's thing, and make sure the gaff sticks. It does...

I am convinced this is the same fish. How many could there in that exact spot? I also am not sure whether he ate the bait, or the sand dab that ate the bait. I think I should go sacrifice a goat or a virgin or something to Poseidon, because he really gave me a break on this one.

Turns out to be my biggest one yet, 37lbs. And I got to fight him twice. As my father used to say, "I'd rather be lucky than good any day". Blew off bugging for tonight in favor of beer, football, and hamachi.

madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

S*O*B*!

I thought I saw the Brad-Baja in the prime parking spot at 3:30 when Me and the wife left, we slayed the calicos and barely cudas, guess we should have went rock fishing :roll: :lol:

Glad to see you are keeping things interesting.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Nice one Brad!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
dmr

Unbelievable…great report.

I’m going to have to get myself back out there soon.

Derek
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Dennis

YEAH!!!!!!!!! WTG, Brad. By the way... How was the surf?
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
ski

Ho LEE Chit!!
Nicely Done :!:
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
surfkast

You gotta be kidding me! Excellent story and I believe it. I once caught a dorado 10 miles out (in a boat) and it had my buddy's circle hook in it's mouth after just breaking his line. Funny how fish will do that.

Miles
Old 11-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #8
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohloe1
YEAH!!!!!!!!! WTG, Brad. By the way... How was the surf?
-Dennis
No surf. Though I took one in the lap in the morning, just for the hell of it. ops:
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 AM   #9
Arne

You're killin' me Brad! I get to come to the office every freakin' Monday morning and read about one of your TOADS. That is one beautiful fish.

Congrats and hopefully see you out there this week.
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 AM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Awesome! Now, I want to go fishin'!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #11
PlasticSkipper

I had a great day on the water, but no fish to show for it. Launched just before Brad into light fog, headed North, fog got really thick. I wanted to hug the shoreline closer but there were large booming swells hitting Scripps and Blacks. Caught sardines and mackeral easily and worked them on the bottom near the artifical reefs. Metered lots of fish but nothing was biting except bait. The sun came out for a while and I found myself in paradise, semi-glassy water and dolphins jumping through the backs of big swells, then the wind and fog returned around Noon and I paddled back to the pier. Soaked my last baits there for a while and then had a dry landing at the launch. Surf was very small at the launch compared to everything North.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
Corey

Damn, Brad :shock: . Awesome story - You are one lucky sob.

corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #13
twinfin

WOW. What a story. Glad you had a happy ending.
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
GBF

Brad........................we need to split a lottery ticket!!!

Noce going!!

GBF
Old 11-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #15
Razorback

BEAUTIFUL HOMEGUARD BRADLEY

You're Dad was right - ya lucky Besturd......

Looks like that Lowarance is paying for itself lickity split. :P

Congrats on the double clutch.

HAWG Out
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Aaron&Julie

WTG!

Way to go, Brad! You are one toad-killing (and bug-stomping) machine.
It gives me inspiration to get out there this week.
I learned over 30 years ago, from a couple of very old saltwater veterans named Lynn and Lloyd Hollingsworth, that when yellowtail are fickle, cut or stripped mackeral or bonito can loosen up their jaws. Proof occurred one tough fishing trip out at the Coronado Isles, where I nailed one on stripped bonito. A tip for any who see yellows that won't seem to bite.
Congratulations on a fine catch.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:58 PM   #17
lamb

You continue to amaze all of us. Your persistence, success. ...luck. Whatever. 8)

Arne is “hopefully” there soon… ? :lol:

Andy, what’s that smoke on the horizon?

Mad parade… :lol:

I think Brad is making up the cut mac part. It’s bs. I heard he caught that bizonheadtail in 4o ft tossing plastic. :lol:
Old 11-14-2005, 11:25 PM   #18
steveooo

That MoFo is almost as long as u are tall!!!
Yikes :shock:
WCW 2006 - Look out, Im comin. 8)
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 AM   #19
Iceman
Administrator

I heard he caught it the second time by jumping in and grabbing it by the tail. Judges!?............. :lol:
Old 11-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #20
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
I heard he caught it the second time by jumping in and grabbing it by the tail. Judges!?............. :lol:
The thought seriously crossed my mind. If he had floated for a moment I probably would have, but he took off downwards. Even though it ended well, that image is burned into my brain and not one I hope to ever see again.