Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-22-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
Arne

LJ 11-22: bent hook

The day started off weird enough as I was heading toward LJ on 52 west at 4am - I looked over to my left to see a wrong-way driver headed west in the east-bound fast lane. Hope no one got hurt - what a kook.

Hit the ankle biting surf and went straight to the pier. Met up with Fishtrapper and his broher-in-law from Washington. I could see lots of bait in the clear water, but it was tough to get them to bite. Finally left after about 45 minutes with a handful of the smaller greenies and headed back over the canyon. No wind, no current, hardly anyone on the water and a beautiful day - here's a pic of what seemed to be a fire off Blacks:

Got out to "the spot" drifting a greenie on the bottom. I decided to try for some more bait and sent the rig down for a sand dab and a few monster lizard fish. I've had decent luck with the Butts on lizard fish so I re-rigged my flyline to a 3-way swivel and a light weight treble and sent one down. About 10 minutes later I felt a nibble-nibble like a sand bass; I let it sit for a few more nibble-nibbles and then started reeling up. I was expecting an easy retrieve - but NO! The rod went back down wicked-like and I was on for the ride.

With just a light weight treble hook I had to handle her pretty easy and soon got dragged toward a lobster buoy. Just short of the buoy the fish stopped and just sat on the bottom. I thought I had another BSB so I wasn't too gentle - since it would be ok if the line broke or the hook bent - and I started a little tug-of-war trying to get it off the bottom. Well, the line didn't break and the hook did bend, but just not enough for the fishy :

I'm guessing my weight got stuck somewhere on the bottom and kept me from getting the fish up. Once the snap swivel broke this yeller came up and totally surprised me :shock: :

I love fishing for sand bass this time of year.
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
madscientist

Great Job. On my out momentarily, good to know they are around.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Amazing, the WCW race is fun to watch with these bottom of the 9th fish!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Arne, you never cease to amaze me. How the hell you got that fish up. A couple weeks ago I hooked a likely YT on my halibut light wire hook and broke the hook on the initial run. Damn, now I can't decide whether to target the YT with a lizard or cut mackeral. Way to apply the pressure, I've had enough trouble sleeping :shock:
Old 11-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
twinfin

Amazing. Great looking fish Arne.
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
mars

Damn dude - nicely done!

-kvn
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
cajunman

arne,
great to see a "Home Boy" get a "Home Guard,, i was gettin tired of seeing the back easterners hoggin all the fun. "New York City???" say it ain't so, forrest, say it ain't so

8)
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
Dennis

Arne,
I read fishtrappers report earlier this morning. He mentioned that you were out this morning, and I somehow I knew you were going to post a fish... NICE one...
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
fishtrapper

I didn't want to steal his thunder. How did the other pics turn out Arne?
Steve
fishtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
Arne

Very nice - thanks Steve

Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #11
madscientist

Golden Boy strikes again. Quiet evening for me. Plenty of bait but nothing doing in the deep spots. Psychopup and dolphins after dark.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
kurt

Great fish, Arne. Pretty much the same day on SD Bay for me as Arne had, minus one YT. ops: The lizard fish bite remains wide open on the bay with some bass bycatch. Just happy to be back on the water after a week and a half in drydock after having my elbow drained. :cry: Next stop, La Bufadora.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
swinginFish

Its a tough job, but ...

Arne,

Just one more month of mandatory fishing and then you can relax at the office.

BTW: Sure like the new hands-free phone.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote