Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

LJ T-day, watch out WCW!

Quick report, I am late for the desert! Nice sunrise, 1 ft surf, glassy, little to no wind, beautiful conditions... Ran into Adi, Mad Scientist, Pat, Lit up one, Kurt, good seeing you all.

My bait went ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Missed the set. This guy right next to me, hooks up.

This is one of three big hookups for Mad, I'll give away this cathch...

but I sent him his pics of his other two fish, so he can post his other hookups.... Watch out WCW!!!

I saw some big holy macks jump....

Then lot's of porpoises...

Great way to end the day, happy T-day all.

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Chris, Great pictures!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
kurt

No action for me today, but it's too nice out too care. Wishing everyone a happy thanksgiving.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
lamb

Great day on the pond, dry for me.

Great company.

Fantastic photos Chris!

Happy Thanksgiving all!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
gabe

The suspense is too much. Hurry Brad I want the story and to see the pics

happy thanskgfiving to all

gabe
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
madscientist

Tremendous morning on the water, even if no points (sigh relief Andy, Arne).

Hit the sand at 5:30ish, shortly thereafter lamb and Pat rolled up. Good to see the yoyo king, even if his presence means we're stuck with that deep iron crap. I refuse to yoyo, so I raced north to the reserve line and loaded up on spanish and greenies. Came across the canyon and almost got run over by a huge pod of porpoise motoring out, easily over 100 strong.

They raced back and forth throughout the day. Joined up with the plastic friends and sent a greenie down while I burned calories winding the iron. Chris got whacked but it didn't stick, then I get bent. Fish runs hard so I'm thinking right kind. Pulls me a coulpe hundred yards, then we are vertical. I can't budge it, in fact I think I'm hung up. Hang in there for a while then the fish moves again. At this point I tell Chris I think it's a black and as it comes up, I become more sure. Fish kicked my ass, as Pat so politely pointed out. Shouldn't he be swordfishing?

At color it's a 50-60lb black sea bass. Chris get's some shots while the still friscky fish keeps us on our toes. Breaks the leader and with some prodding goes down.

Okay, that was fun, let's try again. Re-tie a hook, rebait, drop down. 1 minute later, I'm on! This one is bouncing a lot so I know it's not big, but still a nice bend in the rod. Horse it up to find it's another BSB, this one small, maybe 15-20lb. Pat starts paddling our way.

Rebait, drop down, discuss my luck on the radio. Two minutes later, my rods goes bounce and I grab it to set the hook. Fish on! This one feels funny, heavy but not moving. I hear a "plunk" as a certain Mr. Holmes drops an iron 10ft off my stern.

It's all bait, yoyo sucka! :lol:

At this point the only thing I can figure is another BSB, but at color I see white. A vision of big tail flirts through my mind, before the sharky reality hits.

A nice 5ft smoothound (?) shark is circling. Chris decides he wants to play shark wrangler and tries to haul it into his little yak. Almost pulls it off, but with the shark halfway in the boat it slips and the leader breaks.

My arms hurt.

Re-tie, rebait, and back down. 10 minuts later, rod takes a hard knock and the hook is cut cleanly off. Damn sharks.

Rest of a flat greasy morning was spent with good friends.

No points, but a better morning on the water I can't imagine. Adi and I paddled in together finalizing our strategy for the hali tourney this weekend (conclusion: catch a big one 8) ).

Hope everyone has a wonderful thanksgiving. I'll be there bright and early tomorrow looking for less fun and more points. May have to tempt the flat gods.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Fricken Chris had me thinking you got something good enough to pass Arne and me. With the "Mad" momentum, I had no trouble believing that. Sounds like a suspense filled and beautiful morning on the pond with friends. I am going to break until Monday. Good luck tomorrow.

Brad, since you were questioning the shark ID, usually the smoothhounds are caught north of the pier shallower and the soupfins are caught in that area. They look very similar, the tail lobes are more pronounced on the smoothhounds and the soupfins get bigger.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
madscientist

I guess it's a soupfin then. That's the third or fourth one of those I've had out there. Are they tasty (apart from the fins)? Probably an ancient aphrodisiac, no? Something for you, Ken.:shock:

I'll try to go get something that makes you and Arne sweat tomorrow.

BTW, I think for next year's WCW, there should be some sort of points for BSB. As Arne can attest, it sucks to have an epic battle end with no points. Endangered, my ass! :
Old 11-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
Jimm H

Brad

Soupfins are good eats. I would probably bleed it on the water, like any other shark.

Maybe I'll see you out there Saturday.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Fricken Chris had me thinking you got something good enough to pass Arne and me.
Haha! Couldn't resist the chance to stir it up! :P

A great morning for sure, well actually I got skunked... :lol:

One last pic of the 3 amigos, Mad Scientist, Adi, and Pat.

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
madscientist

Chris,
Tremendous pics dude! As Andy pointed out elsewhere, the on the water and action shots really spice things up. I try to remember to grab the camera whenever someone is bent but in the heat of an apparent hot bite it can be tough to remember/do. Thanks for taking the time and effort, and I hope to return the favor (less foggy lense, more fish) soon.

BTW, you're my new favorite photobeyatch. Sorry Ken :cry:.