Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Salty

Wind and Halibut: DP 2-21-21

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like big butts, but it seems I've only been able to find the small ones lately... Abandoned plans to hit LJ on Sunday due to the unwelcoming surf and wind forecasts heading into the weekend. Decided to just cruise around Dana Point Harbor. Put my first bait on the hook, dropped it down and got bit on the first drift, landing a little halibut. It was just under size (again...) though. Not much luck after that. Hid from the wind for the most part inside the harbor. Eventually I went about a mile south of the harbor and the wind was brutal. But I stuck it out for a while with a Carolina setup and ended up hooking up to something much bigger, which I fought for a few minutes. Didn't get to see what it was because it shook the hook somehow so close to the surface I could see my weight, but not the fish. Tried a few more passes out there, then decided to call it quits and have lunch and a break on the sandbar before heading in. Not a bad day, considering the conditions through most of the morning.

Also, my buddy lost his paddle in the rough chop heading out of the Harbor. It's the standard one that comes with the newer Outbacks: Black 2-piece Hobie with black paddles. Assuming it's gone forever, but at least worth a try. I have him crap, as friends do, for not having it leashed in as my own paddle sat next to me thoroughly un-leashed as well... If anyone stumbles across it and wants to let me know, that would be awesome!
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:49 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Nice report. The big one that gets away keeps us coming back for more.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
DanaPT

Wind in the later morning has been brutal. Water still cold but the signs are pointing up for the area. The kelp is showing on the surface in more and more spots. And currently big tidal swings.

Looking forward to calmer winds.

Thanks for the report!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Nice report. The big one that gets away keeps us coming back for more.
Truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Wind in the later morning has been brutal. Water still cold but the signs are pointing up for the area. The kelp is showing on the surface in more and more spots. And currently big tidal swings.

Looking forward to calmer winds.

Thanks for the report!
Same, keep watching all the forecasts and hoping to see a decent break in swell and wind.... Water temp was 54-56 all day. I did notice a lot more kelp around the North side of the point last time I was fishing that area in December or January. Good to hear it's still improving!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote