Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
joyjiggin'

Hey, Don! Peddling is starting to sound better everyday! Paddling is getting to be a pia with my neck injury. Go for it, no one will call YOU a pussy! (And Grego, Eric's a steer, beelieve me!!)
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
bellcon

THANKS everyone

Steve
That is what I am talking about (finally an honest to goodness big guy)
when I peddled them it felt like i was bottoming out the peddles every time...
(with them adjusted forward all the way)

I am not looking for speed
I am not looking for stability

The only reason I would consider a hobie is for those long days
fighting current or wind, trying to stay on a spot, or trying to hit multiple spots over a long distance, chasing birds, exploring, etc.
there is no doubt a good angler in a hobie can cover a lot of ground.

The Trident is plenty fast when I need it most of the time, unless I am beat at the end of a day...
and it is also more than stable enough, almost too stable

Jim,
I use an all carbon werner Corryvrecken, may have to try the bent shaft
the hand numbness isn't constant, and the elbow issues come and go...

Steve, was the adventure a "wet" ride? another thing I love about my trident.... high and dry!

any other comments / suggestions guys and gals?

p.s
I could careless about the "pussy" factor
Hell if it made me a better kayak fisherman I would go with a set of pink avets and a pink hobie complete with a rainbow sticker on the bow
Kiyo...you wanna go paddling for 14 hours with me this weekend?
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Kiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
THANKS everyone

Steve
That is what I am talking about (finally an honest to goodness big guy)
when I peddled them it felt like i was bottoming out the peddles every time...
(with them adjusted forward all the way)

I am not looking for speed
I am not looking for stability

The only reason I would consider a hobie is for those long days
fighting current or wind, trying to stay on a spot, or trying to hit multiple spots over a long distance, chasing birds, exploring, etc.
there is no doubt a good angler in a hobie can cover a lot of ground.

The Trident is plenty fast when I need it most of the time, unless I am beat at the end of a day...
and it is also more than stable enough, almost too stable

Jim,
I use an all carbon werner Corryvrecken, may have to try the bent shaft
the hand numbness isn't constant, and the elbow issues come and go...

Steve, was the adventure a "wet" ride? another thing I love about my trident.... high and dry!

any other comments / suggestions guys and gals?

p.s
I could careless about the "pussy" factor
Hell if it made me a better kayak fisherman I would go with a set of pink avets and a pink hobie complete with a rainbow sticker on the bow
Kiyo...you wanna go paddling for 14 hours with me this weekend?
Don, 16 1/2 hours on the water non stop fishing in one day was my longest. That was at last years MDR Derby. Pliska was right next to me.

We all know the real reason you want to pedal. You keep losing your paddle! LMAO!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
bellcon

Quote:
You keep losing your paddle! LMAO!
Kiyo:

and DP

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Billy V

The Adventure is a nice yak, but the front hatch access is not so good. It is low to the waterline, and as you slide up toward the hatch the front of the yak gets very low in the water.
-Try it during a demo.

Other than that I fished it for several years with no complaints. It was stable enough for me, but I don't think that stability compares to your trident 15.

It is fast, and not affected by wind at all. This yak will cover a lot of water effortlessly.

Side saddle in the Adventure 150 ft. of water.

Last edited by Billy V; 01-06-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Gino

Very hard to paddle without a paddle Don! hah!

Quote:
I'll hold you to that! ill even have the pink paint done for you for the Avets, And Laguna beach is real close... ill get you that rainbow sticker, put it on your trident start now!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
habanero

Don, you might take a closer look at the 2010 adventure. They look like they sit higher off the water and I have heard they are a dry ride. You should try and work out a day long fishing day demo to be sure.
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Don as big as you are, you could sit in the back of the Outfitter and use the front pedals

Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
landwhale

With the people that have been moving to the ex paddle class It makes me even more gratefull that at my age I am still able to paddle as long as I want. Don I sometimes feel the numbness though it does not last long and as Jim said try the bent shaft if I could afford one thats what I would use......................................

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
NextBite

get a Hobie Don you will love it

i will sell you my Hobie Revo
Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
Don, you might take a closer look at the 2010 adventure. They look like they sit higher off the water and I have heard they are a dry ride. You should try and work out a day long fishing day demo to be sure.
Agree on the day long demo for sure....However, no changes have been made to the hull of the Adventure in recent years so the ride height capacity,etc are all the same.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
bellcon

Quote:
try the bent shaft..... if I could afford one thats what I would use

Steve
so your saying...
lack of funds are the only thing keep you straight?

well thanks for sharing...
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

When Hobie introduced the peddle drive to kayaks, they released the genie in the bottle. Several other manufacturers either have peddle products currently available or about to be released.

This month's Popular Science has a page devoted to kayak fishing which features something called the Mariner 12.5 from Propel. It is a peddle kayak with a propeller. Unlike previous models from this manufacturer, this is not a glorified canoe with a peddle drive. It is a sit-on-top kayak that they claim is designed for fishing, although probably for lakes and rivers, not what we do.

The propeller drive has some advantages such as being able to go in reverse. It would probably be a real pain in the kelp, however. Having never had the chance to try this technology, I can only guess.

I have a Revo and am very happy with it. That said, Hobies are not without a few warts. I look forward to other manufacturers pushing the envelope a bit which will lead to improvements in technology that everyone can enjoy.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
When Hobie introduced the peddle drive to kayaks, they released the genie in the bottle. Several other manufacturers either have peddle products currently available or about to be released.

This month's Popular Science has a page devoted to kayak fishing which features something called the Mariner 12.5 from Propel. It is a peddle kayak with a propeller. Unlike previous models from this manufacturer, this is not a glorified canoe with a peddle drive. It is a sit-on-top kayak that they claim is designed for fishing, although probably for lakes and rivers, not what we do.

The propeller drive has some advantages such as being able to go in reverse. It would probably be a real pain in the kelp, however. Having never had the chance to try this technology, I can only guess.

I have a Revo and am very happy with it. That said, Hobies are not without a few warts. I look forward to other manufacturers pushing the envelope a bit which will lead to improvements in technology that everyone can enjoy.

Bob
saw somebody in the mariner last month peddaling around seemed to be peddaling around just fine why u would buy one when hobie parts are local is beyond me different strokes for different folks seems like the guys that are paddling are doing it cause they cant afford a hobie,sponsored by someone else or take pride in saying they paddle like it makes there arms look like 22'' either way im koo just as long as your fishing !!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
Seaangler
Junior

The only thing that worked for my 230 frame was the PA. I'm to old and too fat to not roll the rest. Only thing that sucks about pedals is banging through the kelp...have to bring up the pedals and its a pain in the ass to paddle that barge. Other than that love the size and storage space.....able to stow my rods and bag my reels. Ya never know when that sneaky breaker is gonna get ya on the way in.
Seaangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
deepdvr

Hobie has tested revos up to 550 lbs. without any issues. They list 350 lbs. for liability purposes.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Well..I never noticed swamp butt or anything but there will be more water in the yak just from the drive well and also in the rear well when the Hobie tank is used. Not too bad though especially if you wear waders during winter.

Hey we could always both go get Pro Angler's but then Andy would probably not let us on the Catapalooza trip due to weight restrictions
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote