Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
ctrujillo

bait tank options?

i have a 5 gal bucket bait tank i made.tank has a timer switch and over the side builge.proublem i am haveing is my bait doesnt live to lively thru out the day.my buddy had a stealth 14 and his bait is liveing well by days end.so after a little thought i am thinking that maybe i need to bulid a diffrent tank all together.maybe my bait is getting damaged by the scupper plug i use for a drain plug or the rivets i have used to mount my rod holders to the bucket?i would like to do without the drag of the builge over the side.maybe a pet container with a thru scupper builge.i also have thought on just carrying a bait motel rather than the tank less to carry and fish plastics at least half the day.although i am always going to be fishing live bait some time thruout my day looking fori am shure there is alot of diffrent opinions on this subject so i would like to hear them.i have a xfactor.here are some pics of my bait tank.thanks chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050193.JPG (84.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg P1050192.JPG (82.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg P1050191.JPG (77.7 KB, 215 views)
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
PescadorPete

Chuck, I think the problem is that the water comes in the top and goes right out the top. I bet all the water in the tank below is not getting circulated. Before you build a new tank, try putting the inlet near the bottom of the tank. That's how I have my home tank set up and it works great.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Flyfisher70

I have all my bait die off fairly quickly as well, I have the vittles vault type bait tank. I have the drain holes on the top as well. I'm going to have to try drilling another drain hole on the bottom and see if that would make a difference in keeping the bait lively throughout the day. Is anyone else having a there bait die off real quick in the bait well/tank?
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Billy V

Water needs to enter the tank from the bottom.

That is the proven design of all offshore bait tanks. It ensures fresh O gets even distributed throughout the tank.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Flyfisher70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Water needs to enter the tank from the bottom.

That is the proven design of all offshore bait tanks. It ensures fresh O gets even distributed throughout the tank.
If I make the water enter from the bottom will I need a check valve?
How about the drain holes, are they okay on the top?
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
ctrujillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Chuck, I think the problem is that the water comes in the top and goes right out the top. I bet all the water in the tank below is not getting circulated. Before you build a new tank, try putting the inlet near the bottom of the tank. That's how I have my home tank set up and it works great.
thanks pescador for the info i will try thisalso thanks to billy v
Old 06-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
ctrujillo

any info on the bait motel?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
pchen911

Am testing out using a 6v on a 360 GPH pump in a Shimano Bristol Bay livewell this very minute.

I had a 12v on it before and it worked well for even the sensitive baits like sardines.

With a 6v, I am not sure if there is enough circulation going on... looks a little weak.

The Bristol Bay tanks have inflow and exhaust both at the top too and it didn't seem to be a problem in the past. Could it be that the 6v just doesn't deliver enough juice to properly circulate the tank?
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Lets_Fish

Check out Yaksailor's tank

I like how yaksailor made his bait tank from a $13 5 gallon plastic gas can. Modeled somewhat like the Hobie design but far cheaper. Here is the link: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=10529

I think the most expensive part would be the hatch ($43-$55) for that alone.

Hobie 6" Twist & Seal hatch:http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...eal-Hatch.html

Hobie 8" Twist & Seal hatch: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...eal-Hatch.html

The cans come in Yellow (diesel), red (gas) & blue (Kerosene). Here is a link to Briggs & Stratton Gas cans: http://www.theplasticsgroup.net/consprod_gasc_ul.htm

Just add a few other items (plumping and wiring) a battery & pump.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
FARRIER

Just add a 90 degree elbow with some flex tubing. you can drill a small hole at the top for a siphon break.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
GregAndrew

You don't need a check valve if you use a 90 degree elbow at the tank inlet connected to a capped piece of pvc pipe extending to the bottom. Then drill several holes in the pipe from top to bottom. That way you get fresh water supplied at all levels in the tank. And the one at the top will act as an antisiphon when the pump is off and the water level is below it. By pointing the drilled holes along the edge of the tank (clockwise), you can create a current which will give the bait a direction to swim.

Using a 6v battery, I would go with a 500 gph pump, at least for Sardines.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote