Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #161
Slappy

Hobie Pro Angler Tandem for the little one

I used to have a gator hatch on my malibu that my daughter loved to sit on while we fished in lakes and especially in the sierras. anyway the mirage drive temptation got the best of me and I went with a revolution which after about 6 months broke my daughter's heart because she couldn't go to the lake with daddy.

Solution:

Pro Angler with a front swivel seat mod.

Seat $25
Swivel mount $10
Detachable seat mount $20
Stainless hardware $12
Lumber $6

The detach mount allows me to take the seat on and off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2100092.jpg (43.3 KB, 2222 views)
File Type: jpg P2100093.jpg (42.6 KB, 2212 views)
File Type: jpg P2100096.jpg (40.9 KB, 2208 views)
File Type: jpg P2100099.jpg (50.4 KB, 2205 views)
File Type: jpg P2100094.jpg (41.0 KB, 2206 views)
File Type: jpg P2100072.jpg (63.4 KB, 2212 views)
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #162
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
I used to have a gator hatch on my malibu that my daughter loved to sit on while we fished in lakes and especially in the sierras. anyway the mirage drive temptation got the best of me and I went with a revolution which after about 6 months broke my daughter's heart because she couldn't go to the lake with daddy.

Solution:

Pro Angler with a front swivel seat mod.

Seat $25
Swivel mount $10
Detachable seat mount $20
Stainless hardware $12
Lumber $6

The detach mount allows me to take the seat on and off.
That is so cool!
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #163
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

This should be a chapter in the manual that none of us received when we came home from the hospital with our children.

I can see it now, Parenting 101. The chapter heading... Teach your kids to love what you love.

Well done Slappy. Did she catch that fish?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #164
Jimmyz123

Electrical Putty Installation of Transducer

Electrical Putty Transducer Installation

Not happy with the wet installation results of my transducer I remembered a Youtube video a friend of mine, John Oast, did about installing a transducer with Electrical Putty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1d3_UeD3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0

I went back to watch how he did the installation and found another video of someone who tested it on 3 different Kayaks with a couple of different installations. I chose to follow what John did with his transducer.
Here are the materials needed, I did not photo the Marine goop but that is needed to secure the sponge to the Kayak in this method of installation.

I like having the ring to be the guide for where the transducer is going to be installed.

First I cleaned the area with alcohol prior to gluing the sponge. Then I glued the sponge into place and let that sit for about 5 minutes.
Then I opened the putty and cut off a little chunk. I then formed that into a small flat slab to put in the center of the sponge opening, making sure to really mush it around to fill the opening.

Then I stuck the transducer in the opening and rocked into place.

This Putty is sticky and does not let things slip. Prior to launching I made sure the transducer did not move and it had not.

I am very happy with the results I found that the readings were right on, depth wise, and temp wise. The best part to this is I can move the FF to another boat, or Kayak at any time.

Cost of the sponge - 99 Cents
Cost of Electrical Putty - $1.29 Home Depot
Marine Goop and Alcohol already on hand.
Time spent on installation including driving 30 minutes.

Watch the videos I have included there is a way to install without gluing anything to the hull. Great option if you don't want to glue anything to your hull.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #165
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Good job Jimmy. Your method is similar to the grease mount version that I currently use. The wet mount, while very effective can have some problems, most notably leakage.

If you do not see any loss of performance with the putty, this may be a good find as the putty should be less messy than the grease. My only concern would be what happens as the putty ages and dries out.

Please keep us posted.

Bob
Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #166
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Good job Jimmy. Your method is similar to the grease mount version that I currently use. The wet mount, while very effective can have some problems, most notably leakage.

If you do not see any loss of performance with the putty, this may be a good find as the putty should be less messy than the grease. My only concern would be what happens as the putty ages and dries out.

Please keep us posted.

Bob
I'll keep you posted on this. I placed the remaining putty that I did not use in a ziplock bag so that it will keep fresh. So, as you mentioned, if the putty dries, I'll just peal the old out and put the new in.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #167
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I am suprised that putty works. It is mostly clay and some have fiberglass or other stuff mixed in to keep it strong. I used it a lot in Vaccuum sealing applications. Also I would not expect the putty to release air bubbles, which could be a problem.

I am kind of confused after looking at your picture though... It seemed like your Fish Finder screen was all clutered? Is that right? Mine is perfectly clear except where I would expect to see noise or Hopefully marks...

Good Luck
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #168
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatford View Post
I am suprised that putty works. It is mostly clay and some have fiberglass or other stuff mixed in to keep it strong. I used it a lot in Vaccuum sealing applications. Also I would not expect the putty to release air bubbles, which could be a problem.

I am kind of confused after looking at your picture though... It seemed like your Fish Finder screen was all clutered? Is that right? Mine is perfectly clear except where I would expect to see noise or Hopefully marks...

Good Luck
What you are seeing on the screen, other than the water spots, was whatever was in the water. 99.9% of all the area that I was in was clear, there was a lot of bait in the water, grass, temp changes. I would have liked to video the entire outing but I didn't want to bore anyone.

I was a doubtful about the putty myself but I thought well for a $1.29 it can't hurt and if it doesn't work, I'll just Goop it down when I get home. After seeing the results from yesterday, I am very happy with it.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #169
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

Bob
Bob, do you have your grease mount posted here anywhere? I cannot find it and would like some deets. Thanks!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #170
Dunegoat

Question for you guys who made your own live well;

What speed bilge pump are you using? I'm debating between a 500gph and a 360gph pump. The 500 seems like it blasts a lot of water, maybe too much. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy
Dunegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #171
Jimmyz123

I use the 360 and it works great.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #172
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I use the 360 and it works great.
That's what I was thinking. I just picked one up from Ace Hardware for less than $20. Hey, what size/type container are you using? I see everyone using the square/rectangular dog food containers but I like the idea of my bait swimming in circles as opposed to hitting the corners with all those right angles. So I'm going to try out a 3.5 gal bucket with a Gamma lid. Just curious what you're using and any input you may want to share.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #173
Slappy

Oh she caught them all. Sometimes Dad has to remind her "Addison where is your bobber?"
Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #174
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i didnt make it but its home made. 360gph pump and 3.5gal bucket.

also made a rod holder that goes on the gator hatch.

then i cut the bottom tubes to about 1 3/4" and glued a cap to the underside so it clamps the holder to the hatch then extended the top tubes.
sorry for the cell pic
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #175
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
i didnt make it but its home made. 360gph pump and 3.5gal bucket.
How's that system working for you? What do you use for a lid?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #176
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

it has a screw on lid. im not sure where the guy that had it previous to me got it. but heres one that converts a standard bucket.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/gamma-seal-lid.htm

easier ordering

http://www.amazon.com/Gamma2-Gamma-G...7412107&sr=8-1

and it works great. kept a 16" bass alive for about 2 hours, probably would have made it all day if we hadnt gone in. and also had it full of sardines (about 25) and kept them alive until i put it in the back of my truck. then they all died in minutes. remember 360 gph is 6 gallons a minute. that will recirculate your bucket twice a minute wich is fine. you could even do a 5 or 7gal. they would only fill to about 4 and 5.5 with the drain holes. but a 360 would be fine for all of them.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #177
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
it has a screw on lid. im not sure where the guy that had it previous to me got it. but heres one that converts a standard bucket.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/gamma-seal-lid.htm
That's the lid I bought online today. $8 not bad. I went with a white bucket and lid though to help keep it from absorbing too much heat.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #178
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Bob, do you have your grease mount posted here anywhere? I cannot find it and would like some deets. Thanks!
Here you go. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...t=grease+mount (use the search function with keywords "grease mount")

I have been using this technique for nearly a year now with no problems.

Bob
Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #179
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunegoat View Post
That's what I was thinking. I just picked one up from Ace Hardware for less than $20. Hey, what size/type container are you using? I see everyone using the square/rectangular dog food containers but I like the idea of my bait swimming in circles as opposed to hitting the corners with all those right angles. So I'm going to try out a 3.5 gal bucket with a Gamma lid. Just curious what you're using and any input you may want to share.

Thanks,

Randy
I picked up a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, and got a screw on lid from OEX Mission Bay. I too like the bait swimming in circles that's how they school up in the ocean. I'll photo what I did and post it on here.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #180
bellcon

My New Vittles Vault Bait Tank / Live Well

After 4 years with the Shimano Bristlol Bay Bag / live well, it was time for a change.

The Shimano bag was great but it was starting to show its age, the plastic liner had gotten a little soft
and would flex and sway if I had to heavy a rod load, the clear lid had dried out and after some modifications the lively Macks were still occasionally able to wiggle their way to freedom.

What I wanted:
A stiff container that would not flex.
A rod holder that would accommodate the larger butts of a jig stick
A simple and secure lid that was easy to open
A portable rig that could be used on any kayak
A tank with a smooth uncluttered interior
and the ability to change the battery and trouble shoot on the water.

I had thought about other containers, ice chest, buckets etc. and I was almost sold on the smaller Vittles Vaults box but decided to go big. I like what I have seen others do with these containers, and just added a few of my own ideas...

I thought long about a thru the hull pump, then a thru the scupper pump.
but decided on the old standard "over the side" pump for simplicity. Then I wanted to be able to remove the pump and hose for transport,
But decided against an exposed plug at the battery. I like the way the pump stores on top of the tank so I don't think transport will be a problem.
Wrapping the hose back into the tank on the Shimano Tank kinked the hose and I was always frustrated with that.

So here you go:

These are the secret fasteners, they are called Connective Cap Nuts, they are made to work with Shoulder Bolts, sometimes called Sex Nuts:

Side View:

Adding the tie down straps, melted a hole in the strap with a soldering iron, bolted thru the rod holder:

Finished strap with hose fitting and wire loom, a continuous length of shrink wrap over the wire harness from the pump into the battery box:

Detail of Pelican battery box install:

Top View, I may look into a round hatch mounted to the lid, so I don't need to "unscrew" the lid all day.

Front View, showing Pelican battery box, water proof switch, and 6V / 10Amp battery:

Back View, used regular rod holders at 4 corners and a 2 inch ABS pipe that I flared with heat gun, then made mounting brackets from a coupler that
I cut in half and slid into position:

Inside View, I got the smooth surface I wanted, I may had a hose to fill the tank from the bottom, I may also add a fitting so I can adjust water level and drain the tank at rear, but for now I wanted to start simple:

In the Trident:

Only took about an hour to build, One visit to Andy to OEX Sunset and one or 2 trips to the hardware store... (BS )

I like it
I wonder if it will fit in a Hobie some day?

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas