Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 3-24-17

Landwhale and I launched about 6:45 this morning. Air was coldish with a slight offshore breeze. Water was not so clear and 56º at launch, 62º at landing. There wasn't much current left at launch time, but the fish still bit for a little while. Then about 7:45 it died with peak high. Around 8:45 it started going out and picked up good by 9:30. Around this time the wind started blowing onshore too.

We started off at the buoy line where I got a short spotty on the first cast, and a little while later I got a nice sandy that was closing in on 3lbs. We drifted over to the boats on the island side and I got a legal spotty and short bastard of a cuda that bit my finger. as we moved along the channel I got another short spotty. This was all by 7:45 or so. We crossed over to the boats on the peninsula side and worked that area for a while. I even fished the docks. I got 2 whole bites, and that was after the current got moving. We moved across the channel again and began working our way back. Got a few bites here and there, but no takers until about 10:30, back over near the buoy line. It was a very short spotty. Called it a day at 11:00.

The bait that worked best for me was a 4" Paddlerz in redbone on a 3/8th firecracker Warbait head. New penny also got 2. Hot Sauce for flavor of course.

I think I got skunked my last trip to Newport, so this was a much better day. We're going to hit it again next Thursday, hopefully they bite.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Deamon

Ed-man..you guys keep it real. I just love your posts and sharing.
Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
papajohn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Landwhale and I launched about 6:45 this morning. Air was coldish with a slight offshore breeze. Water was not so clear and 56º at launch, 62º at landing. There wasn't much current left at launch time, but the fish still bit for a little while. Then about 7:45 it died with peak high. Around 8:45 it started going out and picked up good by 9:30. Around this time the wind started blowing onshore too.

We started off at the buoy line where I got a short spotty on the first cast, and a little while later I got a nice sandy that was closing in on 3lbs. We drifted over to the boats on the island side and I got a legal spotty and short bastard of a cuda that bit my finger. as we moved along the channel I got another short spotty. This was all by 7:45 or so. We crossed over to the boats on the peninsula side and worked that area for a while. I even fished the docks. I got 2 whole bites, and that was after the current got moving. We moved across the channel again and began working our way back. Got a few bites here and there, but no takers until about 10:30, back over near the buoy line. It was a very short spotty. Called it a day at 11:00.

The bait that worked best for me was a 4" Paddlerz in redbone on a 3/8th firecracker Warbait head. New penny also got 2. Hot Sauce for flavor of course.

I think I got skunked my last trip to Newport, so this was a much better day. We're going to hit it again next Thursday, hopefully they bite.
I was there as well. I think I saw you guys. I was on yellow malibu kayak. Only got a 16" sandbass
papajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Ed-man..you guys keep it real. I just love your posts and sharing.
Jim
Thanks, Jim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
I was there as well. I think I saw you guys. I was on yellow malibu kayak. Only got a 16" sandbass
Were you in the sit inside?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
papajohn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Thanks, Jim.

Were you in the sit inside?
I was on a sit on top Malibu stealth 12
papajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Completely missed you, sorry. Where'd you launch at?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
StumpFisher

Great report, thanks!
StumpFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpFisher View Post
Great report, thanks!
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Great report, Ed. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with you guys when I get back from NY in a few weeks...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
Amish Ed

Sounds good. Shoot me a pm when you're ready.