Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #21
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I remember when the mirage drive first came out. They were pretty much universally ridiculed. "Theyre not kayaks, they're for sissies, they'll never catch on, the drive can't be reliable". Those attitudes didn't last long. Then for a while it seamed like most had Hobies. Many times at the launch out of 20 guys I had the only paddle yak. Now I see paddle yaks making a come back. Some times 50/50 at the launch. It might be that back then there were only 3 or so brands of paddle yaks that made fishing yaks, now there are many more. Might be more people are entering the sport and don't want to drop 2-4 k bucks for a yak. I have a hobie, a 13 y/o OK prowler 15, and a equally old Malibu extreme. Use em all n love em. Mike
Total agree with this.

I recall fishing LJ back in 2009 in my OK Prowler and seeing Hobie kayaks peddling around, I was like, those guys are weak!

Less than a year later I had my first Hobie.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #22
h2ofishfo

Starting way back in 2006 Malibu and ocean kayaks were king. Prowler 15 and extremes being the ferrari's . Me in a tank of x-factor loved the stability of a starter kayak. Now in a revo the advantages far out way disadvantages. The revo paddles surprisingly well with the block in of course. PA are just to big to paddle and overkill in my opinion unless you 300+ plus pounds
Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Starting way back in 2006 Malibu and ocean kayaks were king. Prowler 15 and extremes being the ferrari's . Me in a tank of x-factor loved the stability of a starter kayak. Now in a revo the advantages far out way disadvantages. The revo paddles surprisingly well with the block in of course. PA are just to big to paddle and overkill in my opinion unless you 300+ plus pounds

Have you ever owned a PA? I know guys that are under 200lbs and own and love PA's.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #24
fishnfoool

pedal all the way

I used to own an paddle and now I pedal. I will never go back to paddling.
There is a guy on this site who works at OEX, I always see him on a pedal. Think about that, he has all the choice in the world on kayaks and he chooses to pedal. HMMM?
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #25
easyday

I've pedaled and paddled. I like paddling, no right or wrong way.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
BigTunaL

Paddler - Jackson big tuna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #27
FISH11

To each his own, as they say! Personally I like paddling because it give me they exercise I don't otherwise get, and I like the maneuverability. I think a pedal kayak could be good, if you also learn or know how to paddle. Too many guys in hobies don't have a clue how to paddle. Being able to use a paddle (and not that POS hobie paddle) is a great advantage to getting through the surf or moving faster especially against the current and wind. The biggest negative about hobies, is the ridiculous prices for the kayaks and especially all the accessories. Most are the same as other brands, but put that H on it and it's 75% more.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #28
Amish Ed

Paddler here. 14' native. To pedal is out of my price range.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #29
ctfphoto

Paddled a tarpon for 4 years.

Bought a 2015 Hobie Outback 6 months ago.

I will never paddle again as the Hobie has soooooo many advantages and one disadvantage
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #30
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Paddled a tarpon for 4 years.

Bought a 2015 Hobie Outback 6 months ago.

I will never paddle again as the Hobie has soooooo many advantages and one disadvantage
Which "one" is the disadvantage? Is it the surf launching or the surf landing (those are 2 separate events on each outing)? Or is it fishing in the kelp or just crossing over it? Or maybe it is stopping quickly or going in reverse? Or maybe storge capacity limitations? Or possibly the weight? They are great boats for sure, but don't be blinded because you only fish LJ for fish outside the kelpline (unless that is all the OP is interested in). Funny how each time this question comes up, it turns into a bipolar exaggeration fest. One thing is for sure, when I have a beer can surgically attached to one of my hands I am getting a Hobie.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #31
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
There is a guy on this site who works at OEX, I always see him on a pedal. Think about that, he has all the choice in the world on kayaks and he chooses to pedal. HMMM?
That guy just got lazy.....and old .........and jacked up his shoulders
Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #32
Jimmyz123

I still paddle.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #33
chris138
donkey roper

I can paddle my Ikelos as hard as I possibly can, for as long as I can. It will barely even flex. I would be hesitant to jam on the mirage drive at full power for a long time. They're robust, but an all out sprint really increases the chance of damaging the drive.

Lots of drag, too expensive, too heavy, can't surf for shit... If you want to spend 5 grand on a boat you can shore launch and can't lift, you could buy a Livingston. Then you can drink all the beer you want, and bring a bikini babe with you!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #34
ctfphoto

The one disadvantage is the landing. Going out is always easy in anything.

I no longer fish the kelp. I do however want to (learn to, ) fish WSB in the kelp, so pull the drive and paddle, no biggie.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #35
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
which is best at LJ? I have an Ascent FS12T, sit on top, will that work okay for getting past the surf. I've been paddling about 5 hours a session but I'm still new to kayaks.
I would say Hobie. I have the 2015 Pro Angler 14 and I have done a 9 mile round trip and it was easy and I wasn't even tired. Plus hooking up with a YT, I would say is easier in a Hobie because it is basically hands free..you would only use your hand to adjust the rudder.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #36
jorluivil

Saying that paddling is better than pedaling (or vice versa) is like saying that it's wrong to jerk off with your left hand if you're right handed, both get the job done.........right?

Old 09-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #37
YakDout
Brandon

You can paddle a hobie if you want, but you can't pedal a malibu if you want...
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #38
Gunner58

I love my trident 13 but I do have to admit I am a little jealous of the guys that are just cruseing around peddling. I can however out run a hobie in my trident, that being said I am a little tired after. But for the price tag of a Hobie I will stick with my trident.
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #39
Harry Hill

Okay, I wasn't asking to start a war. I have to paddle right now, to pedal isn't in my budget. I was just trying to get the lay of the land. What kind of paddles do the paddlers use? Is there a brand or model that most like better? I'm using a 240 cm from Bass Pro but I'm sure it's not optimal. Any help will be appreciated
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #40
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

I'm a paddler for life Have a had a bunch of different yaks and tried a hobie or two just can't get into the Mirage Drive and now with the higher seats I really don't like them they just seem so top heavy to me now,maybe because I'm top heavy.. 😄

I'm on a Ocean Kayak trident 15 with a aqua bound carbon paddle. Love the weight the kayak can hold and the speed. one day I'll upgrade to the ocean kayak trident ultra 4.7

Ps always looking for paddling kayak fishermen to hit the water with

sent from my thumbs on my G4
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote