Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
maquinapescado

Paddle and Pedal Speed

New to this site, my name is Brian. Hello.

So I am leaning hard towards purchasing a PA 14. I'm just curious as to what the speed differences really are, I mean for the long hauls. I know you can paddle way faster in lower profile kayaks but keeping it up for 4-8 miles is a whole different story. I am sure many of you have GPS units and know or have seen your speeds/paddle times over distance.

What are some average speeds in your PA 14's versus other model Hobies, Malibus and so on........ ? If you know and are so kind as to maybe let me know some details with your input I would appreciate it. I've been searching around for this kind of data but have been hard pressed to find any.

I'm a really experienced surfer, swimmer, fisherman and such so no need to throw the gamit of conditions, just general California conditions in mind will be suffice.

Thanks!
maquinapescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
HobieScot

I just checked my last Navionics route and we averaged between 1.5-2mph on the way out slow trolling at a leisurely pace that was easy to keep without getting fatigued or tired. But on the way back in we averaged around 3mph since we had the wind at our backs. This was on a 9 mile route. 4.5 out and 4.5 back.

We were both on 12 foot Hobie Outbacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Ohiostreetz

Really the speed depend a lot on current also just cruising a few mile off shore I average 1.5 to 3 mph on my ff but I can kick it into gear for short burst I'm riding a Hobie Revo 13.
Ohiostreetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
maquinapescado

Thank you gents. Keep the beta coming if you have the time
Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
taggermike

I can't give you hard number data but I used both peddle and paddle boats. If you're a good paddler I'd put the speeds as about the same until fatigue sets in. Definately after 3-4 hours of steady paddling I feel it. While its not quite speed related I find I can keep a much straighter course in my mirage drive kayak. Going 5 miles from point A to point B on a strait course is a much faster trip than a snaking course at higher speed. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Remember that drag goes up exponentially with speed. Calm water is much faster than choppy water, headwinds, opposing currents and swells. Searching and sprinting for boils is fun. Keeping up a faster rate depends on your own build up of energy and endurance. Throttling back to a comfortable cruise is easier than trying to overcome drag at higher speeds. Following vectors to waypoints or destinations saves a lot of accumulated time over meandering around like a curly noodle. Weight makes a difference too. If you have water sloshing around in your hull, pump it out. Empty out the water in your bait tank when you are done with it. Each gallon of water weighs a little over 8 pounds. These are all contributing factors.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-30-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The energy needed to increase speed is exponential, like Mr. Nice Guy said. For my wide kayak, to go from an easy 2mph paddle up to 3mph might take a little bit of effort, but to go from 3mph up to 4mph might take so much extra effort that it's not practical for anything other than short bursts.

Look for a yak with a fast hull speed if you're concerned about speed and distance. A PA probably isn't it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

For whatever reason PAs are fast...especially with the new drive. It's not a problem keeping a 3-3.5 knot average speed at all. In fact I can go 4+ knots and maintain that speed for quite awhile. You can do short bursts of speed over 5 knots as well if you need to. It's really amazing...as big and as heavy a PA is, it can really move.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
maquinapescado

Thanks a lot guys. I am definitely dead set on the PA, I was just wondering if there was a real dramatic difference. Speed isn't a soul contributing factor to the purchase. In fact, it is probably a few clicks down the list. If the PA was not capable of maintaining 2.5-3 mph I would still get it.

Do most of you strictly use the drive while in transit or do you compensate with a few paddles? Example; if you have a specific way point such as a squid nest that you re going to rather than trolling on your transit offshore.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I am definitely dead set on the PA, I was just wondering if there was a real dramatic difference. Speed isn't a soul contributing factor to the purchase. In fact, it is probably a few clicks down the list. If the PA was not capable of maintaining 2.5-3 mph I would still get it.

Do most of you strictly use the drive while in transit or do you compensate with a few paddles? Example; if you have a specific way point such as a squid nest that you re going to rather than trolling on your transit offshore.

PA is a great kayak/Boat, make sure to get the 14...cause if your gonna get the PA you might as well get the PA...Unless you have transport or storage issues.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

Paddling and PA dont work in the same sentence.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Dannowar

Don't be lazy.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
If the PA was not capable of maintaining 2.5-3 mph I would still get it.
These are reasonable speeds and expectations, but so much of it depends on you.

For your first test ride you might feel spent and cramped peddling out to the kelp beds and back.

Endurance builds fast, especially the muscle groups you will be using for a Hobie. By the end of a season you will acclimate and basically be able to pedal and fish for as long as you like. Sprints have their limits, but you will quickly learn how to pace yourself and rest or recoup your energy while you are cruising easy. Other factors play a more important role in following any particular time schedule.

When it comes to planning time, speed and distance covered, remember the story about the tortoise and the hare. Building your personal endurance, logging time on the water under divergent conditions, understanding and predicting weather and water conditions, and other kinds of accumulated skill sets are more important than focusing on any particular average mph the boat itself might be capable of doing.

I do not have vast amounts of experience in a kayak, to say the least, but I've been a pilot for many years and many of the same forces of nature apply.

Generally speaking, I seem to be significantly faster in my Outback than most of the paddle kayaks around me. However, some kayaks are magnificently streamlined and low drag. For fishing, there are lots of other trade-offs. I've seen guys in PA's around me sprinting and casting into boils with plenty of finesse and maneuverability.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-31-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
RockyRaab

I've clocked my PA-14 many times and find that a 3.5 mph cruise takes just about the same effort as walking that same speed. In fact the "foot speed" is about the same for both. If you watch very closely you'll note that your trailing foot moves at almost exactly water speed - in other words, your foot will stay right next to some bit of flotsam in the water as that foot comes backward in the stroke.

I don't peddle kayaks, but I do pedal them. And I know the difference.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #15
HobieScot

Once you have a mirage drive you won't be paddling anywhere. Unless it breaks. Which does happen. Luckily it hasn't happened to me yet

The only time you will use your paddle Is to reverse out of kelp or back out of a mooring you were fishing in

There just isn't a reason to paddle unless it's to maneuver in a tight space or to back out of an area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
cabojohn
PROBATION

Hello Brian,
You seem pretty sure you want a Hobie...?
They are proven and have their place in the line up for sure.
They get from A to B. Most guys who have them like them.
Hobie's do NOT excel in the surf.

You said you are a waterman (surfer, swimmer, fisherman) do you plan to surf launch much?? Where do you plan to fish most often?
You also mentioned speed...

Do yourself a huge favor and test drive your Hobie of choice...and then test drive a couple KAYAKS.

*I can let you test paddle a Tarpon t160i and a Prowler P13 just for shits N giggles. I'll be on the water this weekend.
Shoot me a PM if your interested?
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #17
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
Hello Brian,
You seem pretty sure you want a Hobie...?
They are proven and have their place in the line up for sure.
They get from A to B. Most guys who have them like them.
Hobie's do NOT excel in the surf.

You said you are a waterman (surfer, swimmer, fisherman) do you plan to surf launch much?? Where do you plan to fish most often?
You also mentioned speed...

Do yourself a huge favor and test drive your Hobie of choice...and then test drive a couple KAYAKS.

*I can let you test paddle a Tarpon t160i and a Prowler P13 just for shits N giggles. I'll be on the water this weekend.
Shoot me a PM if your interested?
I PM'ed you. Yeah, I have had some old school shitty Ocean Yaks that I managed surf launches in fairly adverse conditions to say the least. I feel like those would have handled surf much better than the PA by overall observation. As I mentioned in the PM, I don't care too much about style points in and out, just not capsizing if I can avoid it. My query about speed was more about a big or small difference in make/model.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Paddling and PA dont work in the same sentence.
I kind of figured that, second to their width and seat height. Thanks
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
I've clocked my PA-14 many times and find that a 3.5 mph cruise takes just about the same effort as walking that same speed. In fact the "foot speed" is about the same for both. If you watch very closely you'll note that your trailing foot moves at almost exactly water speed - in other words, your foot will stay right next to some bit of flotsam in the water as that foot comes backward in the stroke.

I don't peddle kayaks, but I do pedal them. And I know the difference.

Why does peddle - pedal bother you so much anyway...? Who cares! So you know the difference....Good for you!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
I kind of figured that, second to their width and seat height. Thanks

Contrary to what yakdout says....you can paddle a PA. I paddle it on almost every trip...I've paddled it for short distances long distances...it's not a paddlers kayak, and it's not represented as such. In the event of a mirage drive failure or an emergency...you can paddle it just fine...or is it PEDDLE?